REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Extra Cash

So I have an extra 9k to play with right now. I was wondering what you would do to get the most guaranteed return for your money? I'm looking into GIC's but 1.2-1.6% for a year isn't really appealing Any help or advice would be great! I plan on heading to Coast Capital and sitting down with a financial advisor and seeing what they have to say.
Advertisement
choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
buy a civic and rice it out.....

but seriously, maybe use that as a down payment on a cheap 1 BR appt located somewhere with a possible boom coming, maybe near a university where housing is going to be scare soon. Charge rent close to what the mortage payment is and you're good to go sell it once you get close to peak and make a decent bit of money....

even more seriously buy a civic and go crazy then sell it to a high school kid

(Disclaimer) I hardly know anything about investment and there is wayyy more than what I just attempted to explain that the smarter, older guys will come in and help with
Jgresch is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

if you want a safe investment...put it in a TFSA
ING is paying 2% right now

or you can buy a dividend paying stock within your TFSA...like BCE, BMO
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
(Disclaimer) I hardly know anything about investment and there is wayyy more than what I just attempted to explain that the smarter, older guys will come in and help with
No offense dude, yet please keep stuff like this in OT. The business forum has lots of informational posts, no need to clutter with typical OT non-sense replies.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
or you can buy a dividend paying stock within your TFSA...like BCE, BMO
He could, yet then his $9K might not be $9K by year end.

OP, since the $9K is "play" money, why not take some risk with it? Are you saving for something? Low risk means low reward, as you've already found out. Plus many of the higher paying "guaranteed" investments have lock in periods like GICs, so hopefully you don't need this money anytime soon.

If you're saving for a house someday (hopefully not someday soon, yet that';s another topic) then my suggestion would be to put all $9K into your RRSP (provided you have enough contribution room) and get a 20-35% return. Take that and put it back into your RRSP (provided you still have room). When it comes time to buy a house you can withdraw $25K from your RRSP using the HBP, and the above strategy means you'd be almost half way to $25K in your RRSP.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
whats your risk tolerance
whats your time horizon

without those its hard to suggest anything..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

use time and money to read financial books get educated first
then use the 9K to invest it
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

My dad is giving me 9K to buy a car, however I don't really feel like it's such an urgent or better yet, smart thing to do with the money when I can invest it and get an appreciating asset rather than a depreciating one. I don't want anything too risky, I would just like some sort of constant income from it, I was looking at the CCS website and was thinking of Income 40/60 fund. https://www.coastcapitalsavings.com/.../Income_40_60/

Any input?
choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Sorry Taylor, I don't know what you're trying to say.
Are you saying he'll spend some? or His investment will grow over $9k?
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
Sorry Taylor, I don't know what you're trying to say.
Are you saying he'll spend some? or His investment will grow over $9k?
He's talking about what message forums seldom talk about regarding investing: losing money.

OP clearly wants to put his money where he won't lose his principal. So putting them in stocks is clearly the wrong vehicle. OP should consider GICs or a high interest savings account unless he's willing to up his risk tolerance.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post

OP, since the $9K is "play" money, why not take some risk with it? Are you saving for something? Low risk means low reward, as you've already found out. Plus many of the higher paying "guaranteed" investments have lock in periods like GICs, so hopefully you don't need this money anytime soon.

If you're saving for a house someday (hopefully not someday soon, yet that';s another topic) then my suggestion would be to put all $9K into your RRSP (provided you have enough contribution room) and get a 20-35% return. Take that and put it back into your RRSP (provided you still have room). When it comes time to buy a house you can withdraw $25K from your RRSP using the HBP, and the above strategy means you'd be almost half way to $25K in your RRSP.

Please elaborate on the 20-35% return on RRSP?

thanks
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
He's talking about what message forums seldom talk about regarding investing: losing money.

OP clearly wants to put his money where he won't lose his principal. So putting them in stocks is clearly the wrong vehicle. OP should consider GICs or a high interest savings account unless he's willing to up his risk tolerance.
Bang on.

I'm still sitting on a lot of cash cause I don't know where to put it without losing money later this year. Canadian economy seems set for some bad news in the fall.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nssan View Post
Please elaborate on the 20-35% return on RRSP?

thanks
Not much to elaborate on. Contribute to RRSP, it lowers your income, and thus lowers your tax bill. If you've paid more tax than your now lower tax bill, then you get a refund.

Thus if you made $30K/yr, you're in the 20% tax bracket. For every $1 you put in your RRSP, you now owe $0.20 less tax, so the government will give you a refund of $0.20.

Tax brackets are here: http://taxtips.ca/taxrates/bc.htm
Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Ubereem Mod

meh, until you decide.

Park it into the savings. Best bet right at this point. Consider you have your options right now. And like people here, time frame probably one of the most important information we'll need.

1 year or 5 years, or anything in between and what's the usage of the money, retirement? Car, later on?
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #15
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

Maybe consider participating whole life insurance or a term-100
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Put it into a savings account for now until you decide what to do with it. RRSP is probably not the right way to go if you are looking at short term investment.

If you do go RRSP, use it to buy bank stocks.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote