REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

Tojo's

Sorry for creating a thread if you guys have already talked about it
but

Just curious Im planning to go Tojo's

any feedback on what to get? what dress code? would be much appreciated

celebrating anniversary

Thanks
Advertisement
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
mpr
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

if you haven't gone to tojo's, then the chef's set menu. $100/ person and wait for the surprises.

dress code is casual.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
60/80/110 omakase.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
it's just business casual. i have been there a few times and if you expect all you can eat shit ... good luck.
I must have had a post somewhere anyhoo.
they do you have set menu BUT as someone said before, you do have the opportunity to just say, 70 dollars a head or 100 etc.

i went with 120 per head and we had like 8 courses. TINY TINY portions but at the end, we were so freaking full.

Chicken wings, tiny sashimi, "tojo's california roll', they indiviaul packaged fish soup is really good. can't explain it.. but it was memorable my friend had to order it again.

it's quite a fun place to go if u are loaded with money, u'll see some hockey players from time to time. also, u wont' be using any soya sauce... show the respect and just taste the food on how they really taste... definitely not all u can eat quality.

to tell you the truth, as an anniversay. i would go somewhere. you can tell them u want to make it special and you should make yoru own menu. just call them ebfore hand, you want to have a personalized menu and tell the chef to make something, you buck will go further (depending which nice place you go).

tojo's is good but not really an romantic setting and they won't treat you like royality..
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
get ready for some wicked food! I think their Toro is second to none, melts in your mouth like butter...if in season try their sea urchin stew....yum!
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Banned (BBM)

^

how would u guys compare miku with tojo>???

anybody been to miku???

http://www.mikurestaurant.com/
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
get ready for some wicked food! I think their Toro is second to none, melts in your mouth like butter...if in season try their sea urchin stew....yum!
How can Tojo's toro be second to none, when most of the decent Japanese owned restaurants in Vancouver all order from the same suppliers? It's all marketing.

Tojo's isn't the most romantic place you'll ever go to. It's more for business dinners, IMHO. The food is good, but I think there are other places that have a better atmosphere like the aforementioned Miku, Zest, etc.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.

Last edited by Senna4ever; 09-13-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

Miku is the best japanese restaurant i've ever been to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
^

anybody been to miku???

---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
^

anybody been to miku???

Yes I have. I went to there dine out. its really good.
phunky.FOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Anyone tried Zen, I work next to it and it's a really small place on w10th but has some awards outside
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
Banned (BBM)

in terms of food, tojo or miku?

as someone mentioned already, seems miku has a better atmosphere

its odd these two high end japanese restaurant does not have any super exotic fish.

blue fin tuna etc etc...
Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
How can Tojo's toro be second to none, when most of the decent Japanese owned restaurants in Vancouver all order from the same suppliers? It's all marketing.
yes it might come from the same distribution but places like richmond sushi buys the lowest grade where tojo's buys decent and better sushi grade fish. You will never see the cheap ass salmon you eat at richmond sushi being served at tojos. It's not marketing, it really comes down to a better sushi grade.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:

its odd these two high end japanese restaurant does not have any super exotic fish.

blue fin tuna etc etc...
tojos has bluefin, whatchu talkin bout willis
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
Banned (BBM)

^

really? damn them

its not listed on their website dinner menu nor lunch menu
Old 09-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #15

Quote:

Tojo's isn't the most romantic place you'll ever go to. It's more for business dinners, IMHO. The food is good, but I think there are other places that have a better atmosphere like the aforementioned Miku, Zest, etc.
your rationale is like saying how can a Aston Martin be better than a Ford, when the both use Bosch as a main supplier. Have you been to Tojos?

I guess Gotham or Hys steak is the same as getting a steak from Denny's...they all buy from the same supplier.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Anyone tried Zen, I work next to it and it's a really small place on w10th but has some awards outside
the one on west vancouver?

imo its the worst restaurant I had ever been in. I was fooled by the exterior. The interior looks even worse than AYCE restuarants. The wood and other materials are cheap. The plates, cups, and menu's are made of cheap materials as well.

Not to mention their waitress do not have any manners at all. Their food is crap (srs), portions are extremely small. I spent about $300 (just on food!) on a dinner date with a girl and not even she was full, and once again the food is gross. Avoid at all costs.

It is totally unacceptable for them to charge this kind of price (which is on par with morton /gotham ). At least they have good interiors and services.
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:

Read my mind haha I guess being or having been IN the business actually helps.
Miku is not that romantic, they are more posh looking. Zest is nice, I also shamelessly recommend Kamei Royale (for more privacy/romantic) hehe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
yes it might come from the same distribution but places like richmond sushi buys the lowest grade where tojo's buys decent and better sushi grade fish. You will never see the cheap ass salmon you eat at richmond sushi being served at tojos. It's not marketing, it really comes down to a better sushi grade.
If you read Senna's entire post, he did mention that "most of the decent Japanese owned restaurants", why would you toss Richmond Sushi into the mix?
Richmond Sushi is Chinese owned, and you actually consider them a "decent" Japanese restaurant?... umm, no comment.
If you must know, Ebisu & Kamei Royale also order the EXACT same quality as Tojo's. Except Tojo stamps his automatic-instant-price-boosting name on it therefore your mentality is adjusted to think it's pure awesome simply because you paid triple the amount and "the man himself" cut the same slab of fish for you.

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Richmond Sushi is Chinese owned, and you actually consider them a "decent" Japanese restaurant?... umm, no comment.
Is ebisu chinese owned? Not trying to talk shit about it, because I go there often and love the food there. Just wondering, because I thought it was.
BinsentoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Whoa guys, let's take a step back here.
We're throwing a lot of analogies around and I don't think it's helping anybody get informed.

Here are 3 distinct properties:
  1. Cut (back or belly?)
  2. Grade (Yes, there are different grades, but I don't know what they are called.)
  3. Fish Species (Wild Sockey vs the gross farmed orange slimey stuff. Both could be "select" grade.)
  4. The restaurant's treatment is the final dimension.
  • Do they serve you the end bits?
  • How fresh is it?
  • Are they cutting it properly against the grain? Or do they have some cheap untrained chinese hands doing the cutting?
  • Heck, if they knife is sharp? Are you bruising or sawing the fish tissue.
  • Storage temperature and moisture level. Freezer burned fish? Ick.
  • Storage isolation so conflicting flavors don't merge.
You guys seem to be blurring the line between these.

Allow me to sort you guys out?

Quote:
Reason 1 through 4, pick one?

Quote:
Fish Species: Farmed Atlantic vs Wild Sockey

Quote:
If you must know, Ebisu & Kamei Royale also order the EXACT same quality as Tojo's. Except Tojo stamps his automatic-instant-price-boosting name on it therefore your mentality is adjusted to think it's pure awesome simply because you paid triple the amount and "the man himself" cut the same slab of fish for you.
Obsideon, I mean no offense, just trying to help the other guys out here...
Grade = Same
But any of the other factors I listed can and probably differ.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:

blue fin tuna etc etc...
tojo pushes local ingredients from what i remember
Anakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #21
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali Vince View Post
Is ebisu chinese owned? Not trying to talk shit about it, because I go there often and love the food there. Just wondering, because I thought it was.
Japanese owned with roots going back 40+ years starting in Yokohama. Ebisu is the same owner as Kamei Royale, one of the oldest (turning 35 years old!), authentic, traditional Japanese restaurants in Vancouver.

Thanks for asking though, it's always good to clear the air of any misconceptions

Culverin: No offense taken. I know exactly where you are coming from. I just didn't go into as much detail as you have.
I believe all good chefs should have their own knife sets that are kept razor sharp. Specifically all our sushi chefs were trained and have worked many years in Japan before coming over to work for us.

Last edited by Obsideon; 09-21-2010 at 10:07 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Japanese owned with roots going back 40+ years starting in Yokohama. Ebisu is the same owner as Kamei Royale, one of the oldest (turning 35 years old!), authentic, traditional Japanese restaurants in Vancouver.
I remember like 6 years ago I went to Kamei Royale on Broadway at Broadway Plaza for their all you can eat. It was the same trash as Richmond Sushi. Generic buffet style where you go up and get your own food etc.

Is that authentic, traditional Japanese?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #23
Ebisu Boss

It was way more than 6 years ago I believe. I remember when we changed over to 'keep with the fad' we were also one of the best, if not the best AYCE in Vancouver, but because we were serving higher quality and higher grade food with more professional (and freakin' expensive) Japanese chefs it was difficult to sustain and make profit and potential was very limited so we had to discontinue the AYCE. A year or so after we switched back to authentic, traditional dining.

Wakaru?

Oh and no, it was never "Buffet get-your-own-food style" lol!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #24
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I can say the Kamei on Broadway is probably the best lunch sushi restaurant in the area. I never got to try the AYCE though, don't really want to anyway. The $9.99 three dish combo was a very good deal! It even included mango/green tea ice cream... until the menu changed.

I used to work in the area and I would go there 2-3 times a week for lunch.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #25

Quote:

Thanks for asking though, it's always good to clear the air of any misconceptions

Culverin: No offense taken. I know exactly where you are coming from. I just didn't go into as much detail as you have.
I believe all good chefs should have their own knife sets that are kept razor sharp. Specifically all our sushi chefs were trained and have worked many years in Japan before coming over to work for us.
Nice back pedal buddy! Culverin owned you.....and you work in the restaurant biz? I'll remember never to go to your restaurant......
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post thanked by: