REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   anyone here using sleeping supplements? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/624998-anyone-here-using-sleeping-supplements.html)

shtone 09-15-2010 08:22 PM

anyone here using sleeping supplements?

Just wondering if anyone here has taking sleeping supplements to help them sleep. i was working graveyards and damn i really regret it.. i need to know if they sell these localy, probably do but just wanted double check and see if they work for people.

SkinnyPupp 09-15-2010 08:39 PM

Yes, I have used many

The most reliable is melatonin. Start with 1.5mg dose, and that should work. If it's not enough, try 3mg. Don't go over that.

Phenibut is another one that a lot of people like. I find that it knocks me out, but gives me somewhat restless sleep.

Both will give you intense dreams (phenibut moreso) and both can develop a tolerance (especially phenibut) so be sure not to take either for more than 3 or 4 nights straight.

5-HTP is another that will help get a restful sleep. It won't knock you out, but it does help you wake up refreshed and in a good mood. Take 100mg, and you can gradually work up to 300 mg. Don't take this for too long at a time either, I'd say 2 weeks is OK. Don't mix this with either melatonin! You'll get serotonin 'zaps'

Finally, my favourite supplement to take for sleep is good because 1) you can take it every day, 365 days a year, and 2) it is extremely beneficial to your health overall. That is to take magnesium and zinc. Take it about 30 mins before bed time. It won't knock you out, but will help sleep. Take about 400-500mg of magnesium, and 50mg of zinc.

When buying mineral supplements such as these, make sure they are chelated. They will always be attached to something ending in "ATE". So Magnesium Malate, or Magnesium Citrate, or Zinc Picolinate.

Remember, in a chelate, the actual dosage of the mineral will be 10-15% of the actual pill. Check the label to see if they specify this.

Happy dreams!

Senna4ever 09-15-2010 09:43 PM

Melatonin doesn't work for everyone though. Valerian Root works for me.

jimzilla 09-18-2010 02:54 PM

ZMA supplement

Okami 09-18-2010 10:06 PM

use gravol

moky 09-19-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7106746)
Melatonin doesn't work for everyone though. Valerian Root works for me.

ditto on this one. i've had nights i've used up to 6mg with still no effect, and worked quite contrary and kept me awake.

along with what skinnypupp said on 5-htp, there's a similar "relaxing supplement" that helps put you to sleep, but not knock you out. it's st john's wort. it works like a calming supplement, and puts you at ease right before you sleep

sonick 09-20-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7106626)
5-HTP is another that will help get a restful sleep. It won't knock you out, but it does help you wake up refreshed and in a good mood. Take 100mg, and you can gradually work up to 300 mg. Don't take this for too long at a time either, I'd say 2 weeks is OK. Don't mix this with either melatonin! You'll get serotonin 'zaps'

What do you mean by serotonin zaps? I got this sleep supp from Costco that is mix of (if I remember right) Melatonin and 5-HTP.

SkinnyPupp 09-20-2010 09:55 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_zaps

What is the dosage?

I haven't done it in a long time (since I learned what was causing the zap) but I was probably taking 300mg of 5-HTP and 3mg of melatonin.

Sounds like one of those supplements that just goes "hey these are both sleeping aids, let's put them into one single product!" If they also include vitamin B6, just throw them out.

sonick 09-20-2010 05:22 PM

Per dose it is:

100mg L-Theanine
15mg 5-HTP
1.5mg Melatonin

I take 2 doses as recommended and it does its job.

SoulCrusher 09-20-2010 06:35 PM

a half pill of Zoplicone and you'll be out cold for a solid 8 hours. Be careful with sleeping pills tho.

Conan O'Brien Sex Video 09-20-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulCrusher (Post 7112865)
a half pill of Zoplicone and you'll be out cold for a solid 8 hours. Be careful with sleeping pills tho.

is there a standard strength per pill? my bf has 7.5mg pills. i want to try and get him to take half only.

Girl 09-21-2010 04:12 PM

+1 on Valerian Root. I've taken many types of sleeping pills, I would first suggest melatonin and Valerian Root first. And once you have your schedule set up, I wouldn't take it any longer. I know many people who have become dependent on sleeping aids.

SoulCrusher 09-21-2010 05:28 PM

Ive got the 7.5mg as well but a full pill gets a bit much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan O'Brien Sex Video (Post 7112896)
is there a standard strength per pill? my bf has 7.5mg pills. i want to try and get him to take half only.

SkinnyPupp 09-21-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 7112762)
Per dose it is:

100mg L-Theanine
15mg 5-HTP
1.5mg Melatonin

I take 2 doses as recommended and it does its job.

That would be the melatonin working. The amount of 5-HTP in in there won't do anything.

Ulic Qel-Droma 09-22-2010 03:35 PM

just work hard, jerk off, if that doesnt work, jerk off some more haha.

wake up extra early ;)

i use melatonin, the sleepiness is a bonus, but i use it cuz it induces dreams and more REM time.

i think im addicted to lucid dreaming haha.

if 6mg doesnt work, up it to 9. lol. melatonin cant kill ya. i dont know the negative effects of taking a lot but i sure as hell know it aint worse than anything mentioned above.

if you really have insomnia, just go get a greencard, and buy some legal weed.

hal0g0dv2 09-23-2010 05:19 PM

zma is money

Jer3 09-23-2010 10:57 PM

i use 3mg of melatonin and it works everytime for me. like everyone stated before, don't use it for a prolonged period. i would only use it 1 or 2 times before i could regulate my sleep pattern then i stopped using it completely.

buddy 09-24-2010 04:42 PM

I have sex before bed