REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   George Foreman Grill (https://www.revscene.net/forums/625362-george-foreman-grill.html)

TRDood 09-19-2010 09:21 PM

George Foreman Grill

Does anyone else here have one? I bought one a few days ago because I am tired to using my frying pan for steaks and other meats..

Some of you might say buying a real bbq grill is the way to go but I don't have the space for it.

I used it once, and it's a decent addition to the kitchen, but how do you guys clean it? it was a bitch because the surface is not detachable. Anyone have tips and tricks for using that thing? :thumbsup:

Soundy 09-19-2010 09:26 PM

We had a small one, it was great. Then we got the G5 - the plates ARE removable and they have five different types, including a kick-ass waffle maker. Love the Foreman!

TRDood 09-19-2010 09:31 PM

Whats the G5?

I bought the white one at London Drugs for $30 (reg $45), it's supposed to do 3-4 servings. I don't know if the plates are detachable for that one though.

Today, I saw the smallest one at Walmart in the US for $16... grr should have gotten that instead.

Soundy 09-19-2010 09:37 PM

http://www.aawsales.com/assets/images/grp90wgr.jpg

CorneringArtist 09-19-2010 09:49 PM

I have the patience to just let it cool off a bit and scrape it out and wipe it down since I have the mini grill that has a non-removable plate

sonick 09-20-2010 08:17 AM

If it's a small one, stick a wet paper towl inside it when it's still warm, the steam will loosen up the stuck on food. Then after a few mins take a dry paper towel and use it to wipe down the plates with the hot wet towel.

Culture_Vulture 09-21-2010 10:57 AM

I've heard a common complaint is that the food turns out soggy, can anybody testify this?

_TiDy_ 09-21-2010 11:23 PM

I don't have a george foreman grill but i do have something similar and i do find it more or less ends of steaming the food since the food is trapped between two hot plates. I rather just get out the weber

6793026 09-22-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture (Post 7113735)
I've heard a common complaint is that the food turns out soggy, can anybody testify this?

nope, never had hte issue. i even do bacon on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiDy_ (Post 7115026)
I don't have a george foreman grill but i do have something similar and i do find it more or less ends of steaming the food since the food is trapped between two hot plates. I rather just get out the weber

I think the key in using the grill is make sure it's hot as fook and then just slap it on so you get grill marks and you're done.

don't plug it in and then throw it on asap. similar to bbq.. you would just put it on and then plug it in.

corollagtSr5 09-22-2010 09:04 AM

Its awesome for grilled cheese sandwiches. Super quick for breakfast to go.

mako 09-22-2010 03:59 PM

i've got a Hamilton Beach grill thats sears steaks etc.

its a hassle to clean for sure. its easiest to clean when the plates are still warm ... that way the gunk doesnt dry and harden

bcrdukes 09-22-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture (Post 7113735)

Not in my experience, no. Our family has been using one for close to 5 years now and the food has turned out quite well. While some people out other are die-hard BBQ fans and will disagree with this kitchen appliance, steaks that we've made at home were enjoyable and in no ways comparable to a BBQ.

In regards to cleaning, what we normally do is let the unit cool until warm then wipe it down with a moist/wet paper towel. That usually does the trick. If you want to do a thorough cleaning, we normally apply a light spray of diluted dish washing soap, let it sit for maybe 5 minutes or so while the unit is still warm then wipe it down. It might take a few tries to get it right but essentially this is what we do at home. Sonick's recommendation on how to clean the unit also works very well.

mako 09-23-2010 04:22 PM

I grilled some steaks yesterday and did a quick wipe while the plates were still hot - no mess, no problems

Great68 09-23-2010 04:55 PM

Oiling your grill before using will also help sear your meat better and clean up easier.

My buddy has a George Foreman grill and that what I did for best results when I used his.

Personally I would never be caught dead owning one though. The whole drip tray thing is a rediculous mess waiting to happen.

MrGoodbar 09-24-2010 11:09 AM

i think this thing is great for when you're actually grilling. but i fucking hate when i have to clean up. yes the wet paper towel while it's on does loosen the grill stuff on it, but just because it's non stick doesn't mean you don't have to use soap and water. Would you run a tephlon pan under hot water, wipe with a wet towel and call it clean? I've seen the infomercials before and they say CLEANING IS A BREEZE JUST WIPE DOWN AND YOU'RE DONE. Is that even sanitary?

I get pretty nervous with their cleaning instructions by just spraying it with detergent then wiping it as it doesn't seem to get it clean enough. My natural reaction would have been to run it under the tap but the thing is I'm afraid water will get into the damn machine and shock the shit out of anyone who uses it next if it's not perfectly dry.

sonick 09-24-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGoodbar (Post 7118370)
i think this thing is great for when you're actually grilling. but i fucking hate when i have to clean up. yes the wet paper towel while it's on does loosen the grill stuff on it, but just because it's non stick doesn't mean you don't have to use soap and water. Would you run a tephlon pan under hot water, wipe with a wet towel and call it clean? I've seen the infomercials before and they say CLEANING IS A BREEZE JUST WIPE DOWN AND YOU'RE DONE. Is that even sanitary?

I get pretty nervous with their cleaning instructions by just spraying it with detergent then wiping it as it doesn't seem to get it clean enough. My natural reaction would have been to run it under the tap but the thing is I'm afraid water will get into the damn machine and shock the shit out of anyone who uses it next if it's not perfectly dry.

How would it be not sanitary?

When I make eggs or something simple in a pan, if it's non-stick and I can simply wipe it down with a dry paper towel and get all the crud and extra grease on, it's fine. I avoid scrubbing or using dish soap whenever possible to increase the longevity of the pan.

Also think about cast iron pans, where you're not supposed to use any detergent or any kind.

Soundy 09-24-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7115812)
Not in my experience, no. Our family has been using one for close to 5 years now and the food has turned out quite well. While some people out other are die-hard BBQ fans and will disagree with this kitchen appliance, steaks that we've made at home were enjoyable and in no ways comparable to a BBQ.

The thing is, none of these are MEANT to be a replacement for a BBQ, any more than they're a replacement for a stovetop, an oven, a broiler, at toaster, or a microwave.

They're more like a wafflemaker or one of those grilled-sandwich makers - in fact, the G5 has interchangeable plates for exactly those functions.
We had the original one for years... upgraded to the G5 about 10 years ago. They're great for cooking something quick, in a small footprint, and they do a damn good job of steaks, chops, chicken breasts, and other meat cuts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGoodbar (Post 7118370)
Would you run a tephlon pan under hot water, wipe with a wet towel and call it clean?

Sure, why not?

Quote:

I've seen the infomercials before and they say CLEANING IS A BREEZE JUST WIPE DOWN AND YOU'RE DONE. Is that even sanitary?
How do you normally sanitize dishes? Hot water rinse. What happens when you plug the grill in? Gets hot. As long as you've properly wiped the residue off, why wouldn't it be sanitary afterward?

If you're that worried about it, just GET one with removable plates, and throw'em in the dishwasher.

Soundy 09-24-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 7118389)
Also think about cast iron pans, where you're not supposed to use any detergent or any kind.

Stoneware pans, too. Stoneware cookie sheet in the oven is THE BEST way to make bacon! (Okay, second-best, after a cast-iron skillet over a campfire!)

jeff19 09-24-2010 12:37 PM

when i saw this thread, all i thought of was

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:P...20foot.png&t=1

Matlock 10-18-2010 09:41 PM

I love my george foreman grill, it's great for cooking steaks. I find that it keeps the juice in better than my BBQ. Probably because I have a cheap BBQ from superstore and I suck at BBQ. Nevertheless george foreman is great.

Usually, I'll poke holes in the steaks with a fork and grind some salt and pepper on both sides, then pore a bunch of olive oil on top. Then I grill each side and all of the edges.

For cleaning, I just put the whole thing on the edge of the sink and run the tap into the grills, squirt a bunch of soap and scrub the crap out of it. Finish by wiping it down with a paper towel and putting it away. There should be no problem as long as you get only the grills wet and make sure its unplugged. I rinse the plastic drip tray before putting it into the top rack of the dishwasher. EASY PEAZY