REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
BC Sheriffs now enforce traffic laws

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...n-traffic-duty

Quote:
KAMLOOPS (NEWS1130) - Sheriffs in B.C. will soon be doing traffic enforcement and nabbing speeders in our province. About a dozen sheriffs in Kamloops will be pulled away from their regular duties as part of the pilot program.

No word yet on when the project will start, and details are still being ironed out on how much authority the sheriffs will be given if they pull over a car with drugs or weapons inside.

Dean Purdy, with the union that represents the sheriffs in B.C., says sheriffs have been doing traffic duty in Alberta since 2006 and it's worked well there. "It's made an immediate impact by reducing the number of speeding violations, deaths and the reduction of outstanding warrants. Not to mention, it's allowed the police to concentrate on investigating serious crimes like shootings and gang violence."

He says sheriffs are well trained to handle the added responsibility. "B.C. Sheriffs have received the same training that police officers get at the police academy, specific to those duties that they would be expected to perform like traffic duties."

If the program is successful in Kamloops it may go province-wide.

Purdy says because the project is starting with such a small number of sheriffs, he isn't worried about needing to hire more staff.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
There is a rumour that BC municipalities are considering replacing the RCMP if they can get better value from Sheriffs. In the US many towns, cities and even states have laid off their entire police force and contracted the work to Sheriffs for much less.

This will be interesting to watch, and for all those who don't think they can pull you over - pay attention, one day this might come to the GVA, for now it is just in the interior.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
what were their duties before ?
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

fuck now to run even more
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
Triple wrap it
the shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
what were their duties before ?
Inmate transport IIRC
Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Inmate transport IIRC
as well as security at the court house, and in the court rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Banned (BBM)

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Waste of time.

If they want to get Sheriff's to do something, why not pull over the idiot drivers I see everyday doing some stupid shit instead?
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
Waste of time.

If they want to get Sheriff's to do something, why not pull over the idiot drivers I see everyday doing some stupid shit instead?
Isn't that what they'd be doing? Not just speed enforcement but as the article states 'Traffic Enforcement'?
dai3yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
There is a rumour that BC municipalities are considering replacing the RCMP if they can get better value from Sheriffs.
i thought the government wanted to replace the RCMP with municiple police.. like vancouver police, richmond police and what not..

i thought the sheriffs are the HWY patrollers.. or at least i always thought so...
Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #11
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
There is a rumour that BC municipalities are considering replacing the RCMP if they can get better value from Sheriffs. In the US many towns, cities and even states have laid off their entire police force and contracted the work to Sheriffs for much less.

This will be interesting to watch, and for all those who don't think they can pull you over - pay attention, one day this might come to the GVA, for now it is just in the interior.
Sheriffs are cheap only in the way they are getting paid far less than a regular member just to give out tickets; like a civilian jail guard working at a detention center oppose to a normal police officer. A traffic member has to start off regular duties then move on to freeway patrol/IRSU so he's pulling some coin to move up.

RCMP is still the cheapest for any city/rural area to rely on because they are federally funded. Sheriffs are Provincial, so they wouldn't have the same pull as the feds. There's only time I've heard a detachment was shut down was in the East. The township was mad they had only 3 officers for the longest time and hired a private firm to look after the town on weekends, so you may have a point.

But Sheriffs in the states are the equivalent of the RCMP here.
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2_narain View Post
There's only time I've heard a detachment was shut down was in the East. The township was mad they had only 3 officers for the longest time and hired a private firm to look after the town on weekends, so you may have a point.
Didn't N. Van pull out from RCMP? I recall they have their own Police Department now. There's talks about Richmond forming their own as well.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote