REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #101
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
You perform the test in the back of the cruiser, not on the side of the road.
I used to do it with the driver seated in the driver's seat of their vehicle. Can't recall having any problems because of this...

Quote:
Plus you'd have to show some signs of impairment for the officer to proceed with the test.
Not so. All you need is the belief that the driver has alcohol in their body. There are ways of forming that opinion without seeing obvious signs of impairment.
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #102
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Personally, I don't get the fuss EITHER way over the "random testing" law. Police already have the power to pull over any car on the road for a number of different reasons, right down to a simple check for valid license and insurance. If the officer detects something that tweaks his suspicion that the driver is impaired, he can then administer his various sobriety tests/breath tests. I don't get the point of a new law to allow random pull-overs specifically for breath tests, and by the same token, I don't get why such a law is such a big issue either (although I'm sure sebberry will fill me in on it AGAIN, at great length).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #103
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Just out of curiousity....

I turned off the Bridgeport exit from Knight Street Bridge last Friday night at around 9:30 - 10:00 and saw a line of cop cars parked to the side, and a line of police officers standing on the left. So I thought it was a roadblock, I rolled down all of my windows (cause I have front tint) and got my license ready . But the line of cars just kept on moving and me and the cars in front of me just got waved through. As I looked in the rearview mirror I see the Honda Odessey van that was right behind me get stopped and talked to.

How are the police officers choosing the cars to talk to? Or were they maybe looking for somebody?
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #104
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
How are the police officers choosing the cars to talk to? Or were they maybe looking for somebody?
I always wondered what criteria officers were looking for when they decide to stop someone vs wave them through.

Age?
Sex?
Race?
Appearance?
Type of car?

or is it just random, or a bit of all of the above?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #105
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
In your case it sounds like they stopped what they were looking for. In some cases you can pick a career drinker's vehicle...they tend to spend the money in the bar and not on the car....out east they call them "puffer cars"..."puffer...as in the breath sample in the ASD.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #106
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Enough with the bickering....the LAW is here for good.

is there any personal legitimate breathalyzers that are accurate? Please recommend me something that has been proven and reliable. Thanks
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #107
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Enough with the bickering....the LAW is here for good.

is there any personal legitimate breathalyzers that are accurate? Please recommend me something that has been proven and reliable. Thanks
If you're willing to pay big bucks for it! Everything under 300 dollars get horrible reviews on amazon and Breathalyzer Canada
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
In your case it sounds like they stopped what they were looking for. In some cases you can pick a career drinker's vehicle...they tend to spend the money in the bar and not on the car....out east they call them "puffer cars"..."puffer...as in the breath sample in the ASD.
It was kind of overkill how many cops were present though.

There were roughly 7 cops present.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #109
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
It was kind of overkill how many cops were present though.

There were roughly 7 cops present.

They may have been needed due to the risk level involved, they may have been looking for more than just 1 vehicle...all sorts of things. You can't say that it was overkill unless you are in posession of the facts, something you do not gain by a 10 second drive-by.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #110

Quote:
Just out of curiousity....

I turned off the Bridgeport exit from Knight Street Bridge last Friday night at around 9:30 - 10:00 and saw a line of cop cars parked to the side, and a line of police officers standing on the left. So I thought it was a roadblock, I rolled down all of my windows (cause I have front tint) and got my license ready . But the line of cars just kept on moving and me and the cars in front of me just got waved through. As I looked in the rearview mirror I see the Honda Odessey van that was right behind me get stopped and talked to.

I was stopped in a similar roadblock once, just taking the swing-bridge offramp from the Arthur Laing bridge. I was driving my dad's van, a beige Dodge van with some front end damage and a smashed-in side door from when he hit a deer a couple years before (deer jumped up out a ditch just outside Prince George - head caught the right-front signal lights, body swung around and impacted dead-center in the side door). The cop said they were looking for a "white or light-colored van with front-end damage, that had been involved in a hit and run". Naturally mine fit the description, with all its damage... until they actually stopped me and noticed the rust in the damaged areas, indicating the damage was fairly old.

As I recall, there were two or three cruisers among the roadblock... as zulu says, not necessarily overkill, depending what they're looking for. In this case, if you're after a van that's been involved in a hit-and-run, there's a chance they may bolt when they hit the roadblock, so you'd probably want a strong presence.
Quote:
Old 10-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #111
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Being resourceful in the allocation, deployment and planning of police resources is not a strong point of the RCMP

Tying up 7 officers for a single task seems very likely.

I was thinking it sounds like a CVSE check, but never that late at night.

That said, I have been waved through a roadblock before when there was a large line, first guy shines the light in your car as you roll by and waves to you and then the next cop up the line.

Last edited by Bainne; 10-14-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
They may have been needed due to the risk level involved, they may have been looking for more than just 1 vehicle...all sorts of things. You can't say that it was overkill unless you are in posession of the facts, something you do not gain by a 10 second drive-by.
Fair enough.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #113
RS Peace Officer

Another concern when stopping vans...guess what one of the most stolen vehicles in the LMD is....because they are useful for moving stolen property, lots of people can enter and exit them and they are easy to steal.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post
Being resourceful in the allocation, deployment and planning of police resources is not a strong point of the RCMP

Tying up 7 officers for a single task seems very likely.
With no idea or understanding as to the SIZE of that task?

Checking ricers for rubbing tires may only require one or two officers... a full-on CVSE check, DUI checks on a major route on a long weekend, all sorts of other "single tasks" that could take a lot more cops.

Quote:
I was thinking it sounds like a CVSE check, but never that late at night.
Plenty of commercial traffic moves at night. More efficient, as there's less other traffic on the road. It's also an old trucker trick specifically to try to avoid CVSE, weigh scales, etc... all the MORE reason to have a surprise CVSE checkstop in the wee hours.
Quote:
Old 10-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #115
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post
Time to back up your statement with some reason....

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Time to back up your statement with some reason....
Oh sure, might as well just ask for a date with Jessica Alba.
Quote: