REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   Anyone at uvic? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/625896-anyone-uvic.html)

delsol84 09-25-2010 07:55 PM

Anyone at uvic?

hey does anyone on here go to uvic? im new to the school any good car shops around and a good place to wash my car? the construction everywhere sucks!!!!

Dentz 09-27-2010 10:40 AM

You drive a del sol? Auto FX isn't bad, but they're pricey. Honestly, I'd wash it at one of the few wand wash places around town - the drive thru was at the ESSO on shelbourne/mackenzie isn't bad.

Edit - I'm at UVIC.

stevo911_ 09-27-2010 05:09 PM

there was actually a thread about carwash locations about a year and a half ago (so things may have changed since then) : http://www.revscene.net/forums/f-all...light=car+wash
I'm not at uvic though :p

delsol84 09-29-2010 01:34 PM

i went to that esso.... u cant really get a detailed wash like you can with a cloth, soap and hose.... so my car is somewhat cleaner but theres spots of dirt everywhere. i tihnk im gonna try to knock on some houses and ask if i can use their hose hahah. what car do u drive dentz? what year are u in?

oldsnail 09-29-2010 03:40 PM

uvic changed alot since i last went there.. (feel old now)
alot of new buildings and alot of rabbits.

stevo911_ 09-29-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsnail (Post 7125264)
uvic changed alot since i last went there.. (feel old now)
alot of new buildings and alot of rabbits.

its been in a perma-state of construction since 2005 or so, and as far as the rabbits go, not for much longer!

spicoli 10-01-2010 09:27 PM

I not a student but I'm part of this never-ending construction - I manage the night crew currently over at the Elliot Building... Well up until the 14th at least.

As far as shops go, I've heard a lot of good things about Auto FX but yeah, I also hear it's pricey too. You will probably hear the shop Zen Sport mentioned from many people around town... It's closed down now but the original owner Chris is in the process of opening up a new place called 51-50. There's a lot of controversy between loyal Auto FX customers and Chris's customer base. If you're looking for the best you may want to concider taking a trip over to Vancouver as they have 3-4 highend shops that really know their stuff and have the best equipment.

Don't use the car wash over at Esso on Shelborne and Mckenzie - It's had problems for years! My buddy used to work there and he told me the arm on the soap applicator / sprayer has snapped off twice causing dammage to vehicles. It also doesn't spray proper amounts of soap when you go for the full luxory wash, sometimes it's plugged up and squirts only half the amount it should... My last car which I babied used to always need a proper wiping off by hand afterwards to even look like a half decent job. The one over at quadra and mckenzie has a brand spankin' new setup and works quite well... never as good as by hand of course! If you live close to downtown checkout the crappy little gas station by the Bay street bridge.. They have the washing wands, I can usually get the job done for 2 bucks! You just have to be really efficient! lol bring a buddy and get him to use the soap brush while you spray down the soap/wax :D

Sticklers is one of the best detailing shops in town but I heard a couple days ago from a buddy that they have closed down :S

Hope this helps!

JesseVic 10-03-2010 11:22 PM

Just drive around the back of any appartment building in Victoria and use their hose. I have liked in 3 or 4 buildings and all of them have had places to wash cars that would have no idea if you lived there or not.

Dentz 10-04-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delsol84 (Post 7125131)
i went to that esso.... u cant really get a detailed wash like you can with a cloth, soap and hose.... so my car is somewhat cleaner but theres spots of dirt everywhere. i tihnk im gonna try to knock on some houses and ask if i can use their hose hahah. what car do u drive dentz? what year are u in?

I've got two cars, a 300ZX and my $300 MK2 Jetta. I don't drive the Z during the school year, but if you see a black MK2 Jetta with no exhaust and no door handles, that's definitely me!

As for the washes, I was the Z at home, but I couldn't be bothered to spend time on the Jetta - usually go to a wand wash, or drive-thru.

Edit - I'm a 4th/5th year Poli Sci student. You?

blackgxp 10-15-2010 12:28 AM

Wand wash only! and I use my own soft cloth to soap the car. (the brush will screw any black colored car up). best touchless carwash tho: shell on yates&fort. if your car is not lowered, should try co-op on gorge (they wash your car by hand).

not uvic. camosun

delsol84 10-19-2010 12:02 PM

im first year science. ill try doing behind apartment buildings that sounds like it will work as soon as i get my car insured again. i used to live in vancouver so yeah ill be going there for car parts if needed but im broke school is expensive

delsol84 10-19-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicoli (Post 7128363)
I not a student but I'm part of this never-ending construction - I manage the night crew currently over at the Elliot Building... Well up until the 14th at least.

As far as shops go, I've heard a lot of good things about Auto FX but yeah, I also hear it's pricey too. You will probably hear the shop Zen Sport mentioned from many people around town... It's closed down now but the original owner Chris is in the process of opening up a new place called 51-50. There's a lot of controversy between loyal Auto FX customers and Chris's customer base. If you're looking for the best you may want to concider taking a trip over to Vancouver as they have 3-4 highend shops that really know their stuff and have the best equipment.

Don't use the car wash over at Esso on Shelborne and Mckenzie - It's had problems for years! My buddy used to work there and he told me the arm on the soap applicator / sprayer has snapped off twice causing dammage to vehicles. It also doesn't spray proper amounts of soap when you go for the full luxory wash, sometimes it's plugged up and squirts only half the amount it should... My last car which I babied used to always need a proper wiping off by hand afterwards to even look like a half decent job. The one over at quadra and mckenzie has a brand spankin' new setup and works quite well... never as good as by hand of course! If you live close to downtown checkout the crappy little gas station by the Bay street bridge.. They have the washing wands, I can usually get the job done for 2 bucks! You just have to be really efficient! lol bring a buddy and get him to use the soap brush while you spray down the soap/wax :D

Sticklers is one of the best detailing shops in town but I heard a couple days ago from a buddy that they have closed down :S

Hope this helps!

your a manager for the construction site??? im in need of a part time job if you ever need a help let me know. i need some cash to insure my car and feed myself.