REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   DriveSmartBC - Excessive Speed (https://www.revscene.net/forums/625983-drivesmartbc-excessive-speed.html)

skidmark 09-26-2010 07:42 PM

DriveSmartBC - Excessive Speed

I would have thought that being faced with a fine of either $368 or $483 and 3 penalty points would make any driver hesitate to exceed the speed limit by more than 40 or more than 60 km/h. Even so, more than 10,000 drivers were fined in this manner last year in BC. Worse still, I know that this is only the start of the problem as these were just the drivers that were caught and issued the appropriate fine by police.

Will the significantly increased penalties that took effect this week force drivers to rethink the risk that they pose to other road users?

Let's look at a driver who is caught for the first time under the new legislation traveling between 41 and 60 km/h over the speed limit. Police will issue a $368 ticket and call a tow truck. The vehicle will be impounded for 7 days at a cost of at least $210. ICBC will assign a driver risk premium of $320. If the driver has already accumulated penalty points, there will be a penalty point premium to pay as well.

Didn't learn the first time? Repeat offenders face increased vehicle impound periods of 30 days for the second offence and 60 days for subsequent offences.

Are you thinking about running instead of stopping for police if you are found in this situation? Add a minimum 2 year driving prohibition, the possibility of a criminal record and jail time to everything already mentioned if you are not successful.

Reference Links

Soundy 09-26-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 7121124)
Will the significantly increased penalties that took effect this week force drivers to rethink the risk that they pose to other road users?

Judging from this thread, I suspect not...

Mr.C 09-27-2010 01:24 AM

It will make a difference when people actually start losing their cars.

taylor192 09-27-2010 06:54 AM

skidmark, zulutango, or any other officer:

Can you comment on what happens when someone decides to run, and link in any referenced laws. From what I understand, if an officer gets the plate they can visit the owner of the vehicle and request information on who was driving at the time, then lay charges accordingly. Owners are legally required to surrender this information or face possible jail time. Is this correct? Can you expand on the procedure for tracking down a runner? What if the owner does not want to reveal who was driving?

jlenko 09-27-2010 07:51 AM

Does the fine still "double" in a construction zone? :)

Hwy 1 should be easy pickins...

skidmark 09-27-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7121143)
Judging from this thread, I suspect not...

BC Stupid Bikes, I like that! Can I use it??

skidmark 09-27-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7121743)
skidmark, zulutango, or any other officer:

Can you comment on what happens when someone decides to run, and link in any referenced laws.

Done! See my DriveSmartBC - Excessive Speeding column from this week.

Soundy 09-27-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 7121770)
Does the fine still "double" in a construction zone? :)

Hwy 1 should be easy pickins...

I drove in this morning from Pitt Meadows, going through the Brunette-to-Gaglardi stretch at about quarter to eight, and *flow of traffic* for all three lanes was solidly over 100, bumping to 110 at times, and people were still going past me in the HOV lane.

taylor192 09-27-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 7121992)
Done! See my DriveSmartBC - Excessive Speeding column from this week.

Do you mean this:

Quote:

Are you thinking about running instead of stopping for police if you are found in this situation? Add a minimum 2 year driving prohibition, the possibility of a criminal record and jail time to everything already mentioned if you are not successful.
If so, can you expand on it? and reference/quote the actual law. I'd like to be able to just provide a link to people to read the actual law, so they don't just think it is hearsay.

Thanks.

taylor192 09-27-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 7121989)
BC Stupid Bikes, I like that! Can I use it??

:D

I've heard both BC Silly Bikes and BC Stupid Bikes from other riders and shops.

skidmark 09-27-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7122084)
Do you mean this:

If so, can you expand on it? and reference/quote the actual law. I'd like to be able to just provide a link to people to read the actual law, so they don't just think it is hearsay.

Thanks.

Yes, and there's this sentence at the bottom, "Reference Links," if you click that, you end up on my site with all the references you are looking for at the bottom of the column

BallPeenHammer2 09-28-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.C (Post 7121634)
It will make a difference when people actually start losing their cars.

Not if they're rich immigrant kids who have 2-4 cars insured by mom/dad.

I see so many of them, driving dangerously, recklessly and pretty fast to boot.

had some dude hit me with high beams and tailgate me today on Alderbridge/91A while I was exiting to connect to knight. White CLS63.

Some mainland douchbag. I braked a little hard after a tunnel after being cut off by an explorer merging in, and the dude lost it. Followed me to Marine Drive Visions, and got out of the car.

Then he got back in when he realized that I was twice his size and was holding a 3ft long asp.

taylor192 09-29-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 7122499)
Yes, and there's this sentence at the bottom, "Reference Links," if you click that, you end up on my site with all the references you are looking for at the bottom of the column

I did, maybe I don't know what I am looking for, or it doesn't exist.
Where is the link to the law that states an owner must identify the driver of a vehicle to officers?

taylor192 09-29-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7124259)
Not if they're rich immigrant kids who have 2-4 cars insured by mom/dad.

Rich people will always be able to buy their way out of trouble. Yet they also represent < 1% of drivers on the road. Worry about the rule, not the exception.

originalhypa 09-29-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7124785)
Where is the link to the law that states an owner must identify the driver of a vehicle to officers?

It's killing me that you can't get a straight answer.

taylor192 09-29-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 7124860)

I found another drive smart article where this is referenced: http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/police/qa...mplaint-police

Found it. MTA 84 outlines the duty of the owner and MTA 83 outlines the owner will be held liable for specific offense if the driver is not identified and the corresponding fines and imprisonment.

Quote:

Duty to give information

84 (1) If a peace officer has reason to believe that a motor vehicle has been involved in an accident or in a contravention of this Act, the Commercial Transport Act or the Transportation Act, the regulations under any of these Acts, the bylaws of a municipality or the laws of a treaty first nation, and so informs the owner or a person in the motor vehicle, it is the duty of the owner or person, as the case may be, if required by the peace officer, to give all information it is in his or her power to give relating to the identification of the driver of the motor vehicle at the relevant time or during the relevant period.

(2) If the owner or other person fails to comply with subsection (1), or gives information that he or she knows to be false or does not believe to be true, he or she commits an offence against this Act.

BallPeenHammer2 09-29-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7124788)
Rich people will always be able to buy their way out of trouble. Yet they also represent < 1% of drivers on the road. Worry about the rule, not the exception.

I'm not worried about the rule.

I just don't like seeing it around me all th time.

FYI, it wouldn't be 1% of the DRIVING population.
it's a lot higher.

You don't need 4 benzes. 3 hondas will do it too.

skidmark 09-29-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7124785)

Ah, you asked me for the law about what happens when someone decides to run. If you had asked about the responsibility of the owner/registered owner to ID the driver I would have responded to that. At any rate, read on:

Duty to give information

84 (1) If a peace officer has reason to believe that a motor vehicle has been involved in an accident or in a contravention of this Act, the Commercial Transport Act or the Transportation Act, the regulations under any of these Acts, the bylaws of a municipality or the laws of a treaty first nation, and so informs the owner or a person in the motor vehicle, it is the duty of the owner or person, as the case may be, if required by the peace officer, to give all information it is in his or her power to give relating to the identification of the driver of the motor vehicle at the relevant time or during the relevant period.

(2) If the owner or other person fails to comply with subsection (1), or gives information that he or she knows to be false or does not believe to be true, he or she commits an offence against this Act.

Soundy 09-29-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 7124860)

It's killing me that you think anyone cares.

Szeto 10-10-2010 10:39 PM

Just saw an Audi tt got towed on east west connector... Don't speed yo :(
Posted via RS Mobile

iwbtib 10-11-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7122023)
I drove in this morning from Pitt Meadows, going through the Brunette-to-Gaglardi stretch at about quarter to eight, and *flow of traffic* for all three lanes was solidly over 100, bumping to 110 at times, and people were still going past me in the HOV lane.

Yeah try crossing the Pitt River Bridge @ the posted 60km construction speed limit. You will be blown off the road from nearly EVERYONE doing 100+ coming from or trying to get to the "Mary Hill Speedway". :rolleyes:

sebberry 10-11-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwbtib (Post 7140045)
Yeah try crossing the Pitt River Bridge @ the posted 60km construction speed limit. You will be blown off the road from nearly EVERYONE doing 100+ coming from or trying to get to the "Mary Hill Speedway". :rolleyes:

I'd be the idiot doing 60.

Mugen EvOlutioN 10-12-2010 07:40 AM

and you will be on the news the next day for being road killed

skidmark 10-12-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7141497)
I'd be the idiot doing 60.

And I'd probably be the one trying to maintain safe following distance behind you...:thumbsup:

slammer111 10-13-2010 12:58 AM

The 60km/h roads around the Golden Ears bridge really does make me scratch my head. It's way less twisty than the S2S yet the limit is lower? 80-90 imo including the bridge sections would be a lot more reasonable.