REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #51
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Are you f'ing serious? 90% of RS posts complaining about being treated "unfairly" by the cops are utter whiner BS by people who are complete idiots behind the wheel. "Oh, I was only going double the speed limit, I can't believe those asshole cops gave me a ticket for that! Fuck the popo!" Riiiiiiight.

Pfft. If that actually happened, he'd have nothing to whine about, and what fun is that? It's way easier to be an Internet Warrior when battling The Man... doesn't require actually getting off your ass and doing anything.

http://www.johnvidas.com/Site/home/E.../southpark.jpg
Remind me again of one of my outrageous situations that could never possibly happen in the real world? Oh wait, you just provided one (coasting down to the speed limit).
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.

Last edited by sebberry; 10-01-2010 at 10:15 PM.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #52
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
but then we would be living in a police state where everybody HAS to follow the rules, OR ELSE.... which seems to contradict some of the other points that you would bring up.
We should either be able to make our own decisions within reason without worry or prosecution 100% of the time, or we should be subject to a police state level of traffic enforcement 100% of the time. Just make it consistent.

I'm sick of taking a chance with my clean driving record every time I attempt to do something safe, albeit illegal.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #53
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Probably not.

But again, that's the GOOD thing about officers having that discretion.
So you would have deserved the ticket from a legal perspective, but most likely not from a safety perspective.

Isn't safety the reason we have the laws? It's a bit of a contradiction, don't you think?

Did you not for at at least a second have an "oh crap" feeling when you saw the cop while speeding? Wouldn't it be nice not to have that feeling when you know you are doing something safe?

Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #54
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
We should either be able to make our own decisions within reason without worry or prosecution 100% of the time, or we should be subject to a police state level of traffic enforcement 100% of the time. Just make it consistent.

I'm sick of taking a chance with my clean driving record every time I attempt to do something safe, albeit illegal.
By LIKE I SAID, it's not reasonable to think about these fantasy situations because it will never happen. You can whine all you want about it, but there is no way that WE will switch to either system in the near future.

Even in Germany where they are very strict with their driving laws, I still encountered road raging drivers who were not ticketed for their actions. On the other extreme, there is a small town that you mentioned in the Netherlands, but will never happen in the foreseeable future in North America.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #55
xxx

Just don't change your regular driving habits (I'm assuming you are a safe driver) and you will be fine. You're seriously making a big deal out of nothing. Stop with the hypothetical nonsense and don't lose sleep over this new law.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #56
I subscribe to Revscene

Me? No, I can assure you I am already driving slower and accelerating like a snail.