REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Going to Hawaii

Going to Hawaii soon, spending a few days in Kona and then Maui.
First time there, anyone have recommendations on attractions, activities and restaurants (both fine and casual)?
Advertisement
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Kona - Rent car, visit volcano, Have Kona coffee.
Maui - Rent helicopter, fly to Garden of Eden Botanical Arboretum, Hum Jurassic Park theme song as you fly in.
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Went to Maui for the first time earlier this year. Going up to the crater to see the sunrise is a must. Pretty neat seeing the sunrise at 10,000 feet elavation. Only shitty thig is you need to leave really early and it's pretty cold up there but nothing a person from Vancouver can't handle.

Also did a hike through the rainforest which was very pleasent. I did the walk with a guide through http://www.hikemaui.com/index.html but of course if you don't want to pay you can certainly drive there yourself.

Maui is a pretty quiet place but where the action is at I guess is Front Street. Their version of Robson/Granville I guess. That's where all the shops, restaraunts etc are. If you have never been I suggest checking out Bubba Gump Shrimp. Sure it isn't going to be the most fabulous meal you've ever had but they don't have them every where and it's coo to check it out at least once. If you've watched Forest Gump before you know what this place is or came from.

You might here a lot of buzz about this place called Sansei Japanese Restaurant from people. I can tell you right now don't waste your time. In Hawaii this might be one of their best places but coming from Vancouver this place is avg at best. There really is no need for you to go and pay for this over priced food. They don't exactly offer anything special or different. What I found really funny about this place was the plates and stuff they use are exactly the same as the ones all the chinese all you can eat places use in Vancouver. If you've been you know which plates I'm talking about.

Other then that I just simply chilled on the beach all the time, snorkling, typical beach destination stuff.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBettah View Post
Kona - Rent car, visit volcano, Have Kona coffee.
I visited the big island for 3 days and loved it. We rented a Subaru Forester and lapped the entire island.

Since you will want to visit the volcano national park, I suggest these along the way (since the park is fantastic at night, and these are great during the day)
- Captain Cook cove, fantastic snorkeling and sea kayaking
- South Point park, the green beach is there

There's a bunch of hot springs, black sand beaches, and fantastic views to take in. Don't steal the black sand, Pele the goddess of fire will curse you. Don't believe me, ask your hotel, people actually mail the sand back to Hawaii!

Oh, and just north of Kona on the highway are these white rock sculptures people make. There's a resort just off the highway where the rocks are on the beach. We filled the Forester then made a giant maple leaf on the side of the highway - hopefully it is still there.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote