REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

US-based Credit Cards

Does anyone have a US-based Credit Card from Banners Bank, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc? if so, what are the pros and cons of having one for a Canadian vs. obtaining an American card here from a Canadian banking institution?

TIA!
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
RS controls my life!

You need a SSN to apply a credit card in the states. It's almost impossible for Canadian to obtain US CC there. The USD CC in Canadian banks has annual fees and I'm still looking for a free one too.
GomGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Bank of America offers cards specifically for Canadians. When I travelled down to the states last I was offered Bank of America's Alaska Airlines Mastercard which is specifically for Canadians.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Bank of America offers cards specifically for Canadians. When I travelled down to the states last I was offered Bank of America's Alaska Airlines Mastercard which is specifically for Canadians.
If you go to Bank of America's website that card doesn't come up. If you google it, it does show up but you can't apply for it...it's a dead link.

I remember the last time I was at a Bank of America branch, I was told for new bank accounts you need a SSN and a mailing address (no PO Box's). I assume the credit card applications would need both as well. Luckily I've kept my Bank of America account open and still have a Visa chequing card.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You don't necessarily need a SSN. If you have a US work visa, you can get the manager of your Canadian branch to talk to their US counterpart and get everything setup for you ahead of time. Basically they see your work visa and get everything done without needing the SSN. I have did it a few times (with RBC). Of course it helps if you know who your branch manager are etc. because 3 out of 10 times, if you call the call centers on both side of the border, they say they don't know anything about it. So you will need to call the manager who setup your account to fix problems.

It is a US based visa, but the downside to that everything has a fee, I think it cost about $10 to transfer money in. It is purely a stop gap measure.

If you don't have work visa the best is to get a prepaid one at any CVS store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomGom View Post
You need a SSN to apply a credit card in the states. It's almost impossible for Canadian to obtain US CC there. The USD CC in Canadian banks has annual fees and I'm still looking for a free one too.

Last edited by godwin; 12-04-2010 at 01:57 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

u can get a cc without ssn, my friend has 1 from target. its a full cc.

Also u can open a bank account in us, they will give u a visa /debit card that is tied to ur account. its not a real cc cause it debits ur account on a cc purchase similar to a debit card.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomGom View Post
alot of USD CC will waive the annual fee if you spend over a certain amount per year.

BMO, i believe.
Nechako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
I don't get it

open a us bank account at bmo, there's no annual fee as long as you spend $1000 usd
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
US online merchants who don't ship to Canada won't accept those cards.. eg consumer electronic places like MacMall and car dealerships etc. They need cards that are issued in US for US (ie a US banking number 2nd digit onwards on the credit card), not just a card in US Denomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuka84 View Post
open a us bank account at bmo, there's no annual fee as long as you spend $1000 usd
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

If you have an RBC account, I would recommend getting the Access USA account. They'll send you a US based Visa debit card (works like a credit card) and you can transfer funds easily. http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/usbankin...a-details.html
bad part is that you need to keep a 700 min balance to waive any service charges. there is a way around that if you can get them to give you the free checking account only for americans. some have been successful
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/usd-b...thread-685523/
therubberguard is offline   Reply With Quote