REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Last book you read

Simple, what was the last book you read, and what would you rate it?

I'll start,
Obsessive Branding Disorder
http://www.amazon.com/OBD-Obsessive-Branding-Disorder-Illusion/dp/1586484680
7.5/10, pretty good book, with some marketing techniques used by companies that borderline on scifi.
Advertisement
Fuhrër-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
The Road by Cormac McCarthy, it was pretty good as i was on a post-apocolyptic binge for about 6-7 books
Old 10-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The book explores the boundaries between animal instinct and being civilized humans.
I would rate it 8/10. Very interesting book, I would recommend to anyone.
tv778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
I don't get it

^^Read that in high school, really liked it.

Anyway, "The World is Flat".
It basically talks about globalization. Pretty good, but there were a few really long and boring parts. 7.5/10
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts

Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge A Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #6

Hondaracer: you watch the movie? I thought it friggin blew, heard the book was much better.

http://www.amazon.ca/Farm-William-Pickton-Vancouvers-Missing/dp/0676975844anyone read this yet?
I've been trying to find it at the library, but can't.

Reading this right now though.
http://www.amazon.ca/BlackBerry-Planet-Research-Motion-Little/dp/0470159405/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286245974&sr=1-4the book sucks RIM's c*ck a little too much for my liking, but otherwise it's pretty informative.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #7

Never watched the movie, the book was recommended to me, I enjoyed it, but before that I read a bunch of other post apocolyptic books before that I enjoyed more:

Alas Babylon
On the beach
World war Z
The stand
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #8

^ Nice, wanted to read World war Z, I own Zombie Survival Guide though. Dope book, I'm trained and prepared for anything after reading it
Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Londonstani by Gautam Malkani
http://www.amazon.ca/Londonstani-Gautam-Malkani/dp/1554681197/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286302185&sr=8-1
This book talks about a teenager trying to assimilate to the Hindi "rudeboy" culture. This book is written in "txt" language (what we usually type during a txt msg like "u" instead of "you") which is a total different style from other novels. It needs some getting used to because the entire book is not in proper english. I reccommend it!! There is a nice twist at the end. VERY unexpected.
jerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card

Loved the rest of the series and this book lived up to the series' reputation.

Can anyone recommend me similar books that I might be interested in?
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Day by day Armegeddon 2 - decent zombie book series. Been looking for more zombie related books since World War Z sparked my interest.
Jsunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Just finished

Just started

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #13

^ how was the bourdain book? Does it read like him narrating his show? Cause then I'm down haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsunu View Post
Day by day Armegeddon 2 - decent zombie book series. Been looking for more zombie related books since World War Z sparked my interest.
Zombie survival guide is a must, really good book.
http://www.amazon.ca/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/1400049628%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJASE6HSSVXTNREYQ%26tag%3Dsmarterfox-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D1400049628
Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

http://www.amazon.com/Wiseguy-Nicholas-Pileggi/dp/0671723227
Stevie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconNbread View Post
^ how was the bourdain book? Does it read like him narrating his show? Cause then I'm down haha.

Zombie survival guide is a must, really good book.
The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead: Amazon.ca: Max Brooks: Books
Yea pretty much. It's best to read his first book, Kitchen Confidential first.
Posted via RS Mobile
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #16

How is the zombie survival guide written? Is it like stories or is it just like a guide?
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #17
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Just finished

[/IMG]
read that a few months ago too. im actually reading kitchen confidential now
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Kitchen Confidential is one of my favorite books.

I just finished Accidental Billionaires by Ben Mezrich

Now I'm reading Extra Lives by Tim Bissell which I recommend for anyone who spends a lot of time on their XBox.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #19

^have you seen social network yet? How different is it from the book?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconNbread View Post
^have you seen social network yet? How different is it from the book?
Posted via RS Mobile
I haven't seen it yet but I can tell from the commercials and reviews that they've changed it a bit. They give Mark Zuckerberg a girlfriend in the begining he didn't have for example (in fact the book's very clear that Zuckerberg couldn't get girls), and the movie seems to go further in the chronology of the story then the book does (it cuts off in 2007ish with some notes at the end in regards to some 2008 events). It also inserts a few other female characters that didn't exist in the book or reality, probably because the cast in the book is almost 100% male with the occational drunken hook up or crazy girlfriend in the background.

Zuckerberg refused to speak to the author when the book was being written so it is primarily set from the perspective of Sean Parker, Eduardo Saverin and the twins (who's names I can't recall) and only speculates on Zuckerberg's motives/actions (And is very clear that it's speculating) based on the actions these two and others witnessed. Because of that he comes off as a bit of an enigma, but I think it's a more honest way of telling the story. The movie seems to fill in these gaps with dramatized versions of events.

It's a really quick read (about 225 pages) and worth picking up if you're at all interested in this sort of stuff.

Despite the differances I look forwards to the movie. Justin Timberlake is pretty much the perfect casting for Sean Parker who's hands down the most interesting character in the book.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #21
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts

for the third time
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts

The Parable of the Pipeline -- Amazing book. Teaches and emphasizes on working for money vs having money work for you. First time I've learnt something from a book

http://www.amazon.com/Parable-Pipeline-Ongoing-Residual-Economy/dp/189127905X

The Slight Edge -- Teaches you on how to have a "Slight Edge" working for you, to push you to a more successful life. Might sound stupid and impossible but it actually made good sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Slight-Edge-Secret-Successful-Life/dp/0967285550
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #23
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post

The Parable of the Pipeline -- Amazing book. Teaches and emphasizes on working for money vs having money work for you. First time I've learnt something from a book

Amazon.com: The Parable of the Pipeline: How Anyone Can Build a Pipeline of Ongoing Residual Income in the New Economy (9781891279058): Burke Hedges: Books
I have to disagree. I've read the book too and I think Burke Hedges is a complete misogynistic idiot.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #24
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture View Post

for the third time
this is going to be my next read

book im currently starting

Back in 1990, a cocky 26-year-old Asian mobster named Steven Wong answered a knock at the door of his mansion in Vancouver and invited reporter Terry Gould into his living room. Neither of their lives would ever be the same. Steven Wong was head of the Gum Wah Gang, suspected of heroin trafficking, 14K Triad status and bloody murder in the streets of Vancouver. Gould, wearing a wire and secretly recording Wong for a groundbreaking two-part CBC TV exposé, was getting to know the "destroyer of lives who became my life's work, my life's study, my obsession." After Gould's report aired the RCMP had to put him under a protection program and Wong came under intense police scrutiny that resulted in his arrest for masterminding a heroin conspiracy. The cops had never been able to put Wong behind bars, but the gangster was suddenly looking at a possible 20-year sentence.

As far as Gould was concerned a conviction would have been a happy ending, but Wong was far too clever for that. Instead of sitting still and waiting for his trial, in 1992 he took out a million-dollar insurance policy and then persuaded a B.C. judge to give him back his passport. The next thing Terry Gould knew, Wong's parents and friends were weeping over a plot in a Vancouver cemetery, and insisting that the young mobster had been killed in an accident in the Philippines. Wong was about to find out that faking his own death was easy - evading Terry Gould: impossible.

For the next 12 years, Gould tailed the man known as the Paper Fan through the organized crime circles of six countries. This riveting, horrifying, yet often hilariously funny book is the story of the hunt - a daredevil journey through the seductions and terrors of Steve's world.

Wong's urn was interred in a Vancouver cemetery, but for most of his busy afterlife Interpol had a Red Alert arrest warrant out for him. His file read like a Hollywood action film, a post-mortem panorama of organized criminal adventure that circled the Pacific Rim, from Macau to Japan, from Cambodia to the Philippines. Gould's search took him deep into Steve's world, a dangerous shadowland where politicians, police, businessmen and criminals were often indistinguishable from one another - in each other's pockets, and in each other's favor.

At one critical point the former chief of the Philippine National Police, Senator Panfilo "Ping" Lacson, was working closely with Gould, and seemed to be the key to finally nabbing Wong. A failed revolution backed by Lacson interrupted the hunt and once again Wong slipped away, or perhaps Lacson was only going through the motions of catching Wong. According to a Philippine Senate investigation Gould recounts in Paper Fan, Lacson may not have been the crusader against organized crime and corruption he claimed to be, but up to his eyeballs with the 14K.

Four times, Terry Gould tracked the Paper Fan through Asia's circles of corruption, and pinned him down. Each time, the law let him slip away. In the world of organized crime that Wong inhabits, the rise to political power is always accompanied by the return of favors, and smart gangsters get their favors returned in the currency of impunity. Paper Fan is the breathtaking account of Terry Gould's risky personal quest to end such impunity.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #25
Ubereem Mod

Sounds interesting.

Just finished Freakenomics.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote