REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
transport mode for you rides?

So i'm planning a mini road trip soon, my car for some reason is attracted to rock i got many rock chips already from daily driving from richmond to surrey.

I want to protect my hood and bumper from further rock chip on my road trip without actually going out dropping 3 figure on a bra or clear bra type of things. i want something temporary and cheap and easily removeable when i'm done with it.

I've seen people tape the whole hood and bumper with grenn painter's tape? and also some type of black tape (electric tape)?

those with experience please school me on which type would be the best in terms of protection and ease of removeable that won't leave sticky shit behind?
Advertisement
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

electrical tape wont work, made a racing stripe on my old shitty 84 jetta and it left the adhesvie stuff on my hood
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
Triple wrap it
the shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,408 Times in 3,476 Posts
Spray on bra

http://www.autobarn.net/duplicolor-spray-on-bra.html
Old 10-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
interesting product. Have anybody actually used it? my main concern with this is that it might damage my paint job?

anywhere local that might carry this?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #5

Spooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

if you're taping, make sure you tape from bottom to top, you won't want the creases to be heading into the wind, it'll be ripped off by the wind or worse, rock and stuff get stuck onto the tape between the body and make scratches.

And when you take the tape off once you're there, give the front a wash and clay bar to get any residue off as when you have the engine's heat on the tape, they tend to melt the adhesive too, thus leaving some on the body.
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #7

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Gorilla Tape, I used it. Worked wonders.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
interesting product. Have anybody actually used it? my main concern with this is that it might damage my paint job?

anywhere local that might carry this?
I've seen it at Canadian Tire, I was curious about the product as well but I never got around to actually buying it.

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I've seen people fun blue tap, much like the green painters tape but more suitable for cars?

LemonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
If you already have rock chips then why bother - save yourself some $$$ and get a good touchup pen (autovisuals) and langka instead and learn to fix rock chips.

Or just consider rock chips a badge of honor - it means you don't drive a garage queen. What do you drive?
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
looks like it has one bad review

Quote:
"I used the product (clear) on a black Vette. It looked as if I had stuck a piece of waxed paper on the car!!! A dull finish on an otherwise very shiny car. I got the soapy water and took it off! I don't plan to use the 2 cans I have. Unfortunately, I gave 1 can away before I tried it. I don't imagine they are thanking me!!!! I should have bought 1 to try it first. Live and learn!!!!!!!!!"
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

http://www.percyshp.com/SuperSprayMask.html
Old 10-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
looks like it has one bad review
That guys problem just seems to be that he doesnt like the dull look on his shiny 'vette.
BinsentoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I used that spray on stuff on my skyline on my trip to calgary. It worked great for bugs and there was even a few tiny rocks in the stuff. Probably not so good for big stuff. I wouldn't leave it on long though. Maybe it just baked in the 37 degree heat that they had out there but it took me 3 hours to get it all off. One can covered the entire hood fenders sideskirts and the bottom of my rear bumper.
Posted via RS Mobile
chris walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Live with the rock chips and make a rock chip claim to ICBC - $300 and depending on the shop you choose, you can almost get a complete paint job out of it!

I recently did a G35 for a customer and covered %90 of the car. The claim was approx. $10K and the customer only had $300 out of pocket!
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #16
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

really? I never knew you can make claims for rock chips... how? it'd be nice for me, soooooo much chips. lol and 2 large ones on hood...
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
http://crazytopics.blogspot.com/2006...with-tape.html
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantz View Post
Live with the rock chips and make a rock chip claim to ICBC - $300 and depending on the shop you choose, you can almost get a complete paint job out of it!

I recently did a G35 for a customer and covered %90 of the car. The claim was approx. $10K and the customer only had $300 out of pocket!
didn't rock chip can be claim either.

anyways i'm not ready to repaint the car yet and i don't have so much rock chip that i want to start neglecting the paint.

Does any of the tape gets gooey if i go through a windstorm???
Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,960 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonT View Post
I've seen people fun blue tap, much like the green painters tape but more suitable for cars?

painters tape comes in a few colours, we've used the blue stuff before. I think some styles are wider, so you wouldn't have to put as much on.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #20
How I Mod your mother

I've used painter's tape, I left it on for about a day in the heat and it started to leave some residue behind. Make sure to pick up some good adhesive and tar remover and it'll come off easy
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
Banned (BBM)

everyone uses painters tape
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #22
Banned (BBM)

Quote:

@@ how can you claim nearly 10k worth of paint job for a simple rock chip.

I mean i can imaging front bumper/hood/lip/mirrors and replace windshield, but thats about it
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
@@ how can you claim nearly 10k worth of paint job for a simple rock chip.

I mean i can imaging front bumper/hood/lip/mirrors and replace windshield, but thats about it
The original ICBC claim was for hood & bumper

front bumper, left fender, right fender, hood, left door, left 1/4 panel, left windshield pillar, right windshield pillar, left mirror, right mirror, roof, spoiler, rear bumper cover, new OEM windshield, new OEM headlights (xenon), new black chrome grille....

it adds up pretty quickly. We specialize in high end lux cars thus we find every possible chip and mark that can possibly be added to the claim to be able to repair the car to level that our customers expect.

I've got repeat customers who make a claim annually simply to 'freshen' up their car for the spring.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #24
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
The original ICBC claim was for hood & bumper

front bumper, left fender, right fender, hood, left door, left 1/4 panel, left windshield pillar, right windshield pillar, left mirror, right mirror, roof, spoiler, rear bumper cover, new OEM windshield, new OEM headlights (xenon), new black chrome grille....

it adds up pretty quickly. We specialize in high end lux cars thus we find every possible chip and mark that can possibly be added to the claim to be able to repair the car to level that our customers expect.

I've got repeat customers who make a claim annually simply to 'freshen' up their car for the spring.

I made a legitimate claim with ICBC to get part of my car repainted due to gravel flying out of the back of a dump truck and it was hard enough having the adjuster determine that the chip pattern on the car was actually from what I claimed it to be from. Was only authorized to repaint one side of the front of my car... How the hell do you trick them into doing the whole car?

No wonder our rates are high...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post

I made a legitimate claim with ICBC to get part of my car repainted due to gravel flying out of the back of a dump truck and it was hard enough having the adjuster determine that the chip pattern on the car was actually from what I claimed it to be from. Was only authorized to repaint one side of the front of my car... How the hell do you trick them into doing the whole car?

No wonder our rates are high...
That's how ICBC works. It's up to the shop to re-write (supplement) for any and all related damage that ICBC may have potentially 'missed' (or was too lazy to actually look for)

A good shop should be pre-washing your car and going over it with a fine-tooth comb and attempting to catch every fit and finish flaw on the car that could possibly be related to the claim (whether it be from rock chips or from a collision)

I can often take an ICBC claim center generated estimate and double it just by looking thouroughly as the car and asking myself if I'd be happy if it was my car.