REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #151
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
good luck to you all as shitty as a rep that translink has, its really not a bad company to work for.
no really. What gives it off. the insane benefits, the higher than average wage for barely having a skill or the massive vacation hours.
Advertisement
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #152
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
no really. What gives it off. the insane benefits, the higher than average wage for barely having a skill or the massive vacation hours.
As a bus driver? Not as simple of a job as you may think. The "easy" routes are in high demand, so newer employees are given the shit end of the stick when it comes to routes. I have a couple friends who are bus drivers (both community shuttles and full size buses) and some of the horror stories they've talked about is insane. Let's just say that the amount of times you'll get spat on, sworn at, and threatened at needle point is far higher than you'd ever expect it to be.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #153
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
being a bus driver is probably one of the most stressed out position in the company. from what i heard from my bus driver friends, they avoid passenger interaction as much as possible to reduce the shit that can happen to them.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #154
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
As a bus driver? Not as simple of a job as you may think. The "easy" routes are in high demand, so newer employees are given the shit end of the stick when it comes to routes. I have a couple friends who are bus drivers (both community shuttles and full size buses) and some of the horror stories they've talked about is insane. Let's just say that the amount of times you'll get spat on, sworn at, and threatened at needle point is far higher than you'd ever expect it to be.
I guess that's why they are installing protection glass for the drivers seat? They should just install some barb wire as well with electric current though them so if anyone try to reach the drivers they get shock till they shit their pants.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #155
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
lol @ you fools missing class because of the bus, either go 2 hours early or stop bitching. You know anything can happen...

That is why I drive even though accidents and traffic can happen, always go
early!

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #156
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Hello,

I'm a operator, if you have questions I can try to answer them for yah

FYI, the hiring process for me was over 8 months long.(Training was 6 or so weeks) There were I believe 7 stages to go through.
SO make sure you are working at the time and do not quit your current job at ALL! Until you get the letter or email from them stating training date.

Last edited by Gunsmokez; 10-27-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #157
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Meanwhile in Richmond...

Bus crash in Richmond knocks out power to thousands of BC Hydro customers | News1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #158
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts

how...

no passengers

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #159
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Looks like there will be a new job opening!

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #160
Need my Daily Fix of RS

To some of you that are waiting for training dates, they still are training that is for sure.

Saw a bunch of training buses driving around on friday :P Heard that class was made up of 8 only. And about half of them were from Shuttle.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #161

Here's a slight update. The HR followed up with my email in regards to my application for the conventional position. So pretty much my shuttle application had to be denied in order for the conventional application to go through. Got that done already.

One more thing he also said was the posting for the conventional position will be closing off at the end of the day today.
Quote:
Quote:
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #162
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmokez View Post
To some of you that are waiting for training dates, they still are training that is for sure.

Saw a bunch of training buses driving around on friday :P Heard that class was made up of 8 only. And about half of them were from Shuttle.
Wow, I've been waiting since mid Aug to start training

Last edited by hotjoint; 02-10-2015 at 04:28 PM.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #163
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Wow, I've been waiting since mid Aug to start training
One thing with Trankslink is that they are SLOW!!!! I mean really slow. Seems like they want to test your ability to be patient some times.

In the mean time, make sure you are reading up on Air brakes! (There will be a test, and you have to know , how the air brake system works including a hauling a trailer)
http://hub.bctransit.com/sst/pdf/BCT-AirBrake-ppt.pdf

This is really good info! (Quick and short pdf version i found http://hub.bctransit.com/sst/pdf/8_P...13%20_PTJ_.pdf)

Also this as well lol,

http://hub.bctransit.com/sst/pdf/Reg...L11oct2012.pdf

Last edited by Gunsmokez; 10-27-2015 at 04:10 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #164
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
big fucking deal. I've seen filipinos that work for minimum wage deal with way worse shit.

My post wasn't just bus drivers it was all translink employees. Their trades pay more than union shops for their jobs. And union shops are known to pay the most too.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #165
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
well meowjin, it sounds like you are butt hurt about how much translink employees make. but that is just what the union and the company decides how much their employee is worth. and that is also why it looks more lucrative to work for translink. i suspect that is also a good recruiting tactic.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmokez View Post
One thing with Trankslink is that they are SLOW!!!! I mean really slow. Seems like they want to test your ability to be patient some times.

In the mean time, make sure you are reading up on Air brakes! (There will be a test, and you have to know , how the air brake system works including a hauling a trailer)
http://hub.bctransit.com/sst/pdf/BCT-AirBrake-ppt.pdf

This is really good info! (Quick and short pdf version i found http://hub.bctransit.com/sst/pdf/8_P...13%20_PTJ_.pdf)

Also, start memorizing how to do a Air pre trip. YOU will have to memorize this to the T!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-V...ature=youtu.be

Also this as well lol,

http://hub.bctransit.com/sst/pdf/Reg...L11oct2012.pdf
Damn that's a lot of reading material but lots of information to refer to.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-11-2015, 01:07 AM   #167
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Yup it is a lot of reading. This is why I suggest if you are waiting for training date, read up on it now. At least get a understanding of how the air brake system works.

This is all crammed into your head in the first week and you need to pass CMBC test, As well as ICBC test. (Leave your current job on good terms!! just in case shit happens and you have back up)
Old 02-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #168
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post

how...

no passengers

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #169

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
TransLink interim CEO Doug Allen will earn $35,000/month. Outgoing CEO Ian Jarvis will continue to earn his original salary until June 2016.
TransLink board replaces CEO Ian Jarvis | News1130
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post

how...

no passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchecker
It was a Maintenance worker who had a medical emergency... Luckily he didn't hit anyone else... He ended up trapped in the bus for a period of time until the power was turned off too...
From another forum
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #171
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
TransLink CEO Doug Allen promises better transit signage, escalators
Interim CEO sidesteps questions on executive salaries, TransLink's biggest problem

TransLink's new interim CEO Doug Allen will improve Metro Vancouver transit services while finding more efficiencies, he told CBC Vancouver host Andrew Chang during a one-on-one interview on Wednesday.

"I'm an escalator-elevator guy. I like to spend a lot of time worrying about those being better, more reliable. It's a big deal in the transit system. So I hope our performance on escalators and elevators is up," said Allen.

Allen was appointed the interim CEO after a hastily called news conference last week during which the corporation's board of directors announced Ian Jarvis was stepping down as CEO.

The interim CEO said he also spends a lot of time worrying about signage.

"When I go into a station, or if I'm at a bus stop, I like to know that the signage is pretty good so you and I can figure out how we're going to travel through the system. And I hope the signage we see in the system generally will be better."

On TransLink's biggest problem

However, TransLink's problems go far beyond malfunctioning escalators and poor signage. A number of recent problems has lead to a loss of public confidence.

For example, the corporation is facing serious questions about its long-promised Compass Card program. The $200 million automated fare-gate system, which promised to save money by stopping fare evaders, was supposed to be up and running before 2012. However, the roll out date has been repeatedly delayed due to glitches with the system.

TransLink also came under fire last year following two system-wide SkyTrain meltdowns that left thousands of passengers stranded at the height of rush hour.

Chang asked Allen what he thinks is the biggest challenge facing the corporation, but he side-stepped the question.

"I'm not concerned about the biggest problem. I'm concerned about providing good leadership. That's my job," said Allen.

"You find out what's going on, what's working well and then you spend some time ensuring you know what isn't working well and you take action. And that's leadership. And you set the tone through the entire organization to move from A to something better called B."

Allen said he already has a lot of ideas about what can be improved and is spending time working through them. He didn't go into specifics, but he said he will be focusing on three factors necessary to securing public confidence: reliability, quality of service and safety.

He also said he will work on improving efficiency.

"It comes in how you deliver service, how you do it smarter, how you deliver more people with fewer vehicles," he said.

"In some cases you have to look at procurement — how we buy buses, how we maintain them. You have to do that smarter and cheaper."

Allen's appointment has brought to the fore another criticism of TransLink: high executive pay.

Last year, salary disclosure documents revealed Jarvis earned $468,015 in 2013, including $83,000 in bonuses.

While no longer CEO, Jarvis will stay on with TransLink as an adviser to its board of directors — receiving his full salary — until his contract expires next year.

Meanwhile, TransLink will also be paying Allen $35,000 every month until a permanent replacement is found.

When asked how the corporation rationalizes having two CEOs on its payroll, Allen deferred to the board.

"Andrew, you're going to have to go to the board for that answer," he told the CBC host.

"My job is to lead [TransLink] as I've described, and money management is a big part of that in terms of trying to deliver better, more, and more efficiently. That's a big task."

Allan did not answer questions about the kind of work Jarvis will be doing as an adviser either.

"I'm the CEO. I will lead the organization in all respects. His role is an adviser to the board. The board speaks to what that role is."

On the transit funding plebiscite

Allen stepped into his new role a month before Metro Vancouverites vote on a proposed 0.5 per cent sales tax that will go toward the Mayors' Council's 10-year, $7.5 billion dollar regional transportation plan.

He said he will leave the campaigning to the mayors, but will be voting 'yes' after ballots are mailed out on March 16.

"The region is growing particularly rapidly in Surrey and surrounding areas. Growth in the transit system is absolutely necessary if your personal well-being and mine are going to be enhanced. It's that simple."

TransLink has said it aims to have a permanent CEO in place by this fall.
TransLink CEO Doug Allen promises better transit signage, escalators - British Columbia - CBC News

guy sounds like a real prick and doesn't have any idea what he's doing for $35,000 a month
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #172
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
This Is Our Stop

interesting site if you take the bus often
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #173

What's the benefits at Translink like, curious.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #174

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
from what i known and used, you get your basic health plan. extended health. covers 80% of dental. every 2 years you get to claim 80% up to 400$ worth of prescription glasses. covers 80% of the massage from a RMT. lots of other untapped resources that i've never used or bother to find out as i probably don't ever use them. that is from my union. other union will probably offer something similiar in benefits
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
from what i known and used, you get your basic health plan. extended health. covers 80% of dental. every 2 years you get to claim 80% up to 400$ worth of prescription glasses. covers 80% of the massage from a RMT. lots of other untapped resources that i've never used or bother to find out as i probably don't ever use them. that is from my union. other union will probably offer something similiar in benefits
Thanks, sounds pretty standard benefits wise.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote