REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 10-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
May I ask where you purchased your All Clad cookware from? I'm looking to do some shopping this weekend and looking for a list of places to go to. Thanks!
I actually got the All Clad off ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160483052227
its over half the price here. http://www.cookworks.ca/qs/product/66/4988/262764/0/0
The dollar is great so why not. I think you can get good deals on Ebay because people buy sets and sell off the singes they do not want.

I got my eye on this saute pan:
http://www.cookworks.ca/qs/product/66/7352/497254/0/0

From what I gather from the net, Cookworks and Ming Wo are good places to go in Vancouver.
Advertisement
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Silit - better quality than all of the above brands. Made in germany.

And none of the teflon or space age garbage
obselete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #28
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,542 Times in 823 Posts
My parents have a set of Saladmaster cookware. Totally worth it if you can afford it.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #29
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,347 Times in 474 Posts
i use tefal. i know it's sounds cheap but it's a LOT better than Lasagona. I use tefal cause the heavy duty ones are really economical and it's light. after 2 yrs, i just replace it with a 25 dollar one. can't go wrong with getting a new pan for 25 bucks for a non stick.

Even if you win, you're still retarded.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #30
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
i use tefal. i know it's sounds cheap but it's a LOT better than Lasagona. I use tefal cause the heavy duty ones are really economical and it's light. after 2 yrs, i just replace it with a 25 dollar one. can't go wrong with getting a new pan for 25 bucks for a non stick.
Non stick has advantages and limitations. It's easy to clean and obviously doesn't stick but you can't or are not supposed to crank the heat up on it like for instance a wok. I only use my non stick for eggs and to reheat food.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,388 Posts
bumping this from oblivion

i'm looking to upgrade some of my current pots and pans
i know shit all about pots and pans

what are some good sets to keep an eye out for?
any particular make/materials to stay away from?
good local places to get sets?
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #32
In RS I Trust

Thanked 16,566 Times in 3,862 Posts
Look for sales at the Bay, they have sales on the regular for pots and pans set for 70% off $800.00 sets. For cheaper everyday use I've always been a big fan of T-Fal and Canadian tire is your best place since they go on sale all the time as well.

Just checked and the bay has a great sale right now

Cookware - Pots & Pans | Hudson's Bay
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #33
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I am hoping this to be comparable to the medium-high end ones even though its from Canadian tire. Reviews seem very positive. Was on sale $349 the other day

Lagostina Artiste-Clad Hand Hammered Cookware | Canadian Tire
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #34
SFICC-03*

Thanked 1,505 Times in 594 Posts
can't go wrong with that set, but ask yourself how often do you see yourself using all of those pieces? in my kitchen i like a 2qt, 3qt, and a 6qt mostly. then again i cook dinner in one or two pots at most, so maybe you could use more. my preference would be to just cut out the ones i won't make much use of by buying individually and maybe higher quality pieces.

make no mistake, this is not on sale for $349, that's more like the regular price. they've probably never sold one at $1599. it's just the list price they use to make it seem like a better value and they probably put it on 'sale' every other week.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #35
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,388 Posts
I saw that one from Canadian Tire the other day...didn't like hammered design but didn't realize it was originally $1600

the kitchenaid sets look pretty good from The Bay...i might actually head out to one and pick up a set this weekend if the sale's still going on
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #36
Old School RS

Thanked 2,905 Times in 878 Posts
For me, there is a 0% chance that I am spending that kind of money on anything other than All-Clad. There are a few other more specialty brands that seem to have a strong following - Demeyere, etc. but at the end of the day, the All-Clads are a great product that I believe are actually quite reasonably priced for what you get.

I had the "basic" Stainless All-Clad fry pans, and they were great. I had an opportunity to upgrade to the 5-layer Copper Core stuff at a wicked boxing day deal and did that, and sold my basic ones, but would honestly have no issue whatsoever with recommending the basic. I have used these to cook dinner most nights for the better part of 10 years now and they look good and cook great.

Mark
Old 09-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #37
God of Unce

All-Clad is baller status.
Armind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #38
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

The tfal pans from Canadian tire are terrible. HBC sells the higher end tfal pan which is made in France for 25 bucks when it goes on sale, which is pretty often.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #39
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,922 Times in 1,547 Posts
I would recommend getting a set of stainless tri-ply 18/10, then a 2-pack of cheap non-stick pans for eggs and fish.

There's a Tramontina tri-ply set that they sell at WalMart in the states that has always been well reviewed to perform close to all-clad but at a fraction of the price.

I've had my set for 6 or 7 years now. They still look great and gets regular use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...e-Set/19581112

Reviews:
Equipment: The All-Clad vs. Tramontina Skillet Showdown | Serious Eats
Tramontina 8-piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set Review

Quote:
So there you have it. While the Tramontina actually edges out the All-Clad as far as heat retention goes, the All-Clad is an all-around better performer. But is it worth paying three times as much for it? Not a chance. Only by using controlled quantitative tests could I find any difference at all in how the pans perform. Even then, the differences were minimal. If money is absolutely no object, go ahead and buy the All-Clad. For the rest of us, the Tramontina set should do just fine.
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #40
God of Unce

Any other stores besides the bay that currently has great deals?
Old 12-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #41
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,204 Times in 395 Posts
What do you guys think of this set? Brands | Cookware Sets | VistaClad 10 Piece Cookware Set | Hudson's Bay our in laws picked it up for us but we're deciding whether or not to keep it. Is it a good deal for $300?
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #42
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 6,981 Times in 2,438 Posts
when using a gas range can you use any standard cookware?

never had gas before and now moving into our house with a brand new gas range, bringing all our stuff over from our old electric range to use for a while until we get new stuff
Old 12-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #43
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,922 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
What do you guys think of this set? Brands | Cookware Sets | VistaClad 10 Piece Cookware Set | Hudson's Bay our in laws picked it up for us but we're deciding whether or not to keep it. Is it a good deal for $300?
Quality should be fine, I would consider how useful the actual pieces in the set are for your cooking.

Personally I would rarely ever use the double boiler, and would prefer a larger stock pot or another larger skillet
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #44
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
when using a gas range can you use any standard cookware?

never had gas before and now moving into our house with a brand new gas range, bringing all our stuff over from our old electric range to use for a while until we get new stuff
You don't need any special cookware. Family has been using gas for over 30 years.

Dusty Nuggets
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #45
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
The double boiler is probably useless for most but the rest looks good. Personally I am not a fan of glass lids but that's subjective. Tri-ply clad construction varies so as long as they have decent thickness and are comfortable to use and handle these type of sets should last a long time.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote