REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Cutting through gas stations?

I did a search on "gas station" and come up with nothing so I thought I'd ask:

I was filling up my car the other day and saw 3 (!!) people cut through instead of waiting through the right lane to turn right at the intersection.

I'd like to think it's an illegal and ticketable offence, but can someone confirm that and/or provide the exact wording in the MVA?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Last edited by Rated-Z; 10-14-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Rated-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Lol I was thinking of that just yesterday. I usually do that too.

I think it may fall under trespassing, or something along those lines
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
I always cut through gas stations if im in a rush...
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
http://saanichpolice.ca/wp/guestbook...comment-437775

Quote:
I’m concerned about the taffic laws covering two situations.

I was surprised to read that it’s not illegal to cut through a gas station, etc to avoid waiting at a red light. Gas station customers and service personnel are opening car doors, raising car hoods, crossing to and from the payment kiosk, etc. The raised hoods can block the views of customers, workers and cut-through drivers. Anyone who’s in such a hurry to avoid a red light is not going to be in a patient and careful frame of mind. If word gets out that cutting through is allowed, our gas stations will become major thoroughfares at
I am also surprised that, in BC, it is legal to pass another vehicle at a pedestrian crosswalk. In Ontario and some other provinces, all traffic in both directions must come to a halt when people are in the crosswalk.

If the police have any input to regulatory reform, I hope these items will be considered.

Saanich Police Response:

Hi Pat, thanks for writing in.

As mentioned in the previous post, it is not illegal to “cut through a gas station”. I, personally, would not encourage such a habit as I feel it is inconsiderate to the business. If someone does so in an unsafe manner, then of course it would become illegal. See Section 179 of the BC Motor Vehicle Act to familiarize yourself with the laws surrounding drivers and pedestrians at a crosswalk. Our laws in BC are similar to Ontario and other provinces in that it is illegal to pass a vehicle that is yielding to a pedestrian.

Hope this helps and have a great day!
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Same here, no harm no foul?

However, on 12th in-between Victoria and nanaimo there's that husky gas station. If you're on the right lane and it's a red light, you turn right then left into the gas station then proceed eastbound towards nanaimo is that considered illegal?
Posted via RS Mobile
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.Rossi View Post
Same here, no harm no foul?

However, on 12th in-between Victoria and nanaimo there's that husky gas station. If you're on the right lane and it's a red light, you turn right then left into the gas station then proceed eastbound towards nanaimo is that considered illegal?
Posted via RS Mobile
Don't think so cause it's not illegal to right turn on a red, it's not illegal to left turn into a business unless posted otherwise, and it's apparently legal to cut through gas stations.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Some Provinces have a MVA section called "avoiding a traffiic control device"...BC doesn't.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Thanks for clearing this up, guys!

If you're on W. 4th Ave. heading east, you can't turn left on to Burrard.

There's a Esso gas station on the SE corner of that intersection that I use to head north on Burrard.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Wow I always thought it was illegal... time to change my driving habits and cut down on my commute time!!!

Berz out
Old 10-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Some Provinces have a MVA section called "avoiding a traffiic control device"...BC doesn't.
AFAIK Ontario does, so I was trying to find this in the BC MVA. Interesting that the no-fun province doesn't have this law.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
AFAIK Ontario does, so I was trying to find this in the BC MVA. Interesting that the no-fun province doesn't have this law.
I just spent 20 minutes poring over the MVA and GTA's bylaws and I couldn't find anything prohibiting the use of private property specifically to avoid traffic. Odd, because like you said, out of all of the provinces, you'd think Ontario would have clearly defined restrictions for something like this.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
racing & tech mod.

Like anything else, there's nothing wrong with doing it as long as it's not abused.

There simply aren't enough gas station accidents to warrant legislation on this.

More importantly, we need to work on IMPROVING traffic flow as much as possible... not impeding it.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
What? That's stupid. You either write the ticket for the offense of driving contrary to a traffic device, or not. If someone drives through a parking lot or gas station to get access to a different road, they are simply taking a different route. That should not be illegal unless they are trespassing.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post

There simply aren't enough gas station accidents to warrant legislation on this.
Good point. I just figured that considering most of those drivers are rushing through (because you'd only take a shortcut if you want to get somewhere faster) an area that usually has multiple pedestrians and cars shuffling around it would be safer if it wasn't allowed.

Not to mention that most of the people cutting through are so concerned about an opening to drive into on the exit, they're not usually looking ahead or around them.

But thanks for the answers
Rated-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
racing & tech mod.

I think the KEY point here is that just because you are trying to get somewhere quickly and efficiently, does NOT automatically mean that you are being any less safe.

You can be careless or dangerous at any speed.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
What? That's stupid. You either write the ticket for the offense of driving contrary to a traffic device, or not. If someone drives through a parking lot or gas station to get access to a different road, they are simply taking a different route. That should not be illegal unless they are trespassing.
Look at it from a different perspective. Lights and signs exist for a reason, to deal with traffic flow. By cutting a corner, you're circumventing the light/sign and going counter to what the light/sign is trying to accomplish.

I think it is a stupid rule too, yet don't discount the reasons why it exists.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

What if it's 2am at night? Gas station is closed. You have signaled for a right turn at least half a block before arriving the red light. Driver in front of you doesn't seem to care or notice, let's just say he is going straight, and the left lane is empty. Should this become illegal? Or how about there are times when you're unsure if the gas station is actually open, you drive in to check it out and it is closed? You drive back out, should this also become illegal?
StrictlyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyD View Post
What if it's 2am at night? Gas station is closed. You have signaled for a right turn at least half a block before arriving the red light. Driver in front of you doesn't seem to care or notice, let's just say he is going straight, and the left lane is empty. Should this become illegal? Or how about there are times when you're unsure if the gas station is actually open, you drive in to check it out and it is closed? You drive back out, should this also become illegal?

No, no, no, no, and no.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
Retired Traffic Cop

People also seem to forget that they are required to come to a complete stop before crossing the sidewalk when they are exiting gas stations and other parking lots....

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Very interesting.

I think someone had erroneously told me in the past that this was illegal... didn't stop me from doing it from time to time though... but now that I know it's not illegal, I'll have less reservations about doing it!
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote