REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #26
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
I don't agree. If you want to go out and get liquored, it's your responsibility to see that you get home safely, not anyone else's.
In general the city of Vancouver has stated that they want to get people out of their cars - they've sent this message by refusing to expand traffic lanes for commuters, taking them away and giving lanes to bike commuters, increasing parking tax to 21% and by supporting greener initiatives such as ride share programs. At the same time while they haven't addressed the reasons WHY people insist on driving their cars and the lack of night time transit out of the down town core to the suburbs is one of the larger issues here.

While yes, providing feasible options for getting home at night would help get drunk drivers off the road, it would also fit with the city of Van's supposed mandate to make the city greener. A two fold benifit.

Now if they would stop building bike lanes that benifit maybe 500 people a day and address an issue that could, after a concert of canucks game benifit thousands that would be awesome.
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
In general the city of Vancouver has stated that they want to get people out of their cars - they've sent this message by refusing to expand traffic lanes for commuters, taking them away and giving lanes to bike commuters, increasing parking tax to 21% and by supporting greener initiatives such as ride share programs. At the same time while they haven't addressed the reasons WHY people insist on driving their cars and the lack of night time transit out of the down town core to the suburbs is one of the larger issues here.

While yes, providing feasible options for getting home at night would help get drunk drivers off the road, it would also fit with the city of Van's supposed mandate to make the city greener. A two fold benifit.

Now if they would stop building bike lanes that benifit maybe 500 people a day and address an issue that could, after a concert of canucks game benifit thousands that would be awesome.
Sounds like they're encouraging drunk drivers to become drunk riders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #28

Well now that they have those partitioned bike lanes at least they can't veer out in front of on coming traffic when biking while intoxicated? :P
Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #29

That's what intersections are for.
Quote:
Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
That's what intersections are for.
and our mayor recently provided a perfect example of this.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #31
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"Sounds like they're encouraging drunk drivers to become drunk riders" There is an ad in a local paper where I live where the store that sells electric bikes is targeting just those people. I'm also aware of a medical scooter dealer in the Victoria area that sells spedial hopped up versions of their scooters to non-handicapped drivers who loose their DLs because of impaired driving convictions. The fact that non-handicapped drivers who operate them are breaking the law as they are now operating a "motor vehicle", doesn't seem to deter them and you can see them parked outside the local bars. It would be almost amusing if it wasn't tragic.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #32

That is horribly sad. And terribly amusing.

Does a handy scooter qualify as a motor vehicle by the legal definition since you don't need a license to drive one?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #33
RS Peace Officer

We have had 2 local drunks charged for impaired driving while driving power lawnmowers on the highway. The scooters qualify as motor vehicles if they are not operated by handicapped drivers.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #34

That's really, really, really sad. A DUI on a power lawnmower?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #35
RS Peace Officer

No what was really sad was TWO different impaired drivers...specially after the first one was caught and splashed all over the media.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #36

Now if the two drunks were trying to RACE each other on their scooters... THAT would be funny!
Quote:
Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

Can I be given a DUI on my bicycle?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #38
RS Peace Officer

253. (1) Every one commits an offence who operates a motor vehicle or vessel or operates or assists in the operation of an aircraft or of railway equipment or has the care or control of a motor vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment, whether it is in motion or not,
(a) while the person’s ability to operate the vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment is impaired by alcohol or a drug; or
(b) having consumed alcohol in such a quantity that the concentration in the person’s blood exceeds eighty milligrams of alcohol in one hundred millilitres of blood.

Your bike would need to have a motor on it to be considered a motor vehicle.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #39
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Can I be given a DUI on my bicycle?
No but you could probably get a ticket for being drunk in public
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #40
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Your bike would need to have a motor on it to be considered a motor vehicle.
I remember an article about a loophole and the electric/motorized bikes - where you could drive a vehicle without requiring a license (like a bike) and still get a DUI.

Good to know I can ride my bicycle hammered!

Yet did you know statistically that of all modes of personal transportation home while drunk (cabs and public transit excluded), driving your car is the least likely to get you injured/killed? Someone compiled the statistics, it was hilarious to read his advice: "next time one of your friends says they'll walk/bike home, give them their keys instead". While obviously bad advice, the stats point out sometimes our logic is counter-intuitive of what is actually safest.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #41
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
in TO, the Subway runs until 1:30, just like here. And try taking public transit to the outlying suburbs, it isn't that great. and NYC, most people I know take a taxi because they're much cheaper - but cheaper is also a relative term because partying in NYC can be so much more expensive than here.

My view is that if you believe that partying downtown is so important, move to an area closer. Sure, prices are higher, but you have to weigh what's more important to you. Just because you want both cheaper housing, AND accessibility to downtown, it doesn't mean everybody else has to pay for it.
That must be one of the most uneducated and ignorant quotes I've seen this year.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #42
RS Peace Officer

"Good to know I can ride my bicycle hammered!" Not to be the grammer Police...but being physically able to ride your bike while drunk..ie " CAN ride" may be a misstatement. You may be permitted to ride but unable to ride because of your lack of physical ability.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #43
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
That must be one of the most uneducated and ignorant quotes I've seen this year.
if you really feel so strongly towards that, maybe you should explain your reasoning. I'm up for a discussion.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
"Good to know I can ride my bicycle hammered!" Not to be the grammer Police...but being physically able to ride your bike while drunk..ie " CAN ride" may be a misstatement. You may be permitted to ride but unable to ride because of your lack of physical ability.

I was being sarcastic to setup my point about a car being safer to drive home drunk than walking or biking. At least in a car you've got some sort of protection and safety features.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #45
RS Peace Officer

You may be protected, unlike the others that you may hit with the car ie pedestrians, cyclists, motorcycle riders etc.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #46
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
Skytrains shut down around 1:30 or so. It's BS. Considering most businesses DT on a weekend night close at 2-3. I'm not saying the trains should open until 5am or anything, BUT, given the amount of money ICBC and translink make (or rips off, depending on how you look at it), they should be able to use some of that on keeping the trains open a LITTLE later on WEEKEND nights.

How about 3 or 4am on Saturday and Friday nights? maybe 2am on Sunday nights? (instead of 12:30). That way a lot of ppl can get to where they need to go, and instead of forking over $50bucks for a taxi, they'd spend $10.

Night busses you ask? They're a F'ing joke. Too long, too little stops, too few and far in between.
HOWEVER, put a few on the further areas in conjunction with the later running trains, then you'd have ppl that would be willing to take them. N busses in the middle of buttfcknowhere doesn't really help anyone out.
Everyone keeps complaining about the Skytrain not running late. The system is aging and gets HEAVY use. it needs downtime to fix the track, switches cars etc etc. Sometimes it may require deenergizing the track and completely shutting it down. you think something that requires that kind of fix will be quick? I think it's pretty amazing they can keep all those kilometers of track in repair with only 4 hours a night, even on a rotating sched, which I am assuming they use.
If they ran it 24 hrs there'd be a LOT more problems when it matters, rush hours, and we all know theres more than enough of them already.

Night buses, yes, few and far between I think ever half hour if not less. But they do span the city and stop on a lot of major streets. You know why it doesn't come some times? Cause all those drunks are puking/fighting/pissing on the bus and once that's done the bus is parked and no theres no manpower to shuttle a bus out from the yard to replace it.

The system isn't for people who want to get piss drunk to the point where they're puking their guts out and becoming idiots.
You know why there's not better service at night in general?
because no one wants to deal with or risk dealing with a drunk who might start throwing punches for no reason, or destroying the backseat of the car.

If you want to drink that much, cause that much mess and headache for the people looking after you then yes you should be paying that 100$ round trip to surrey and back. And I feel bad for the taxi that will have to deal with the mess you leave behind.

It does come down to the bad few runing it for the rest of us who can drink and not leave a trail of destruction behind.
Rogue951 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #47
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue951 View Post

If you want to drink that much, cause that much mess and headache for the people looking after you then yes you should be paying that 100$ round trip to surrey and back.
Yeah but what about the rest of us who only have a couple drinks with dinner.
Come on. And we're not asking the train to run 24hours EVERY day.
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #48
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

no, that's what I'm saying, it's the ones that go overboard that are ruining it for the rest of us.
I want to have a couple of drinks with dinner like most other people. But I drive for a living and I dont want to risk more than 1. (I'm 250lbs so I could probably do more but why chance it.)
Rogue951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #49

In regards to the skytrain comment I made:

I'm talking about having the trains run an extra 1-1.5 hours, 2 or 3 days a week. Who will pay for them? The riders. If that is too much time for translink to maintain their trains properly, then someone please speak up. I don't know how much time is required, but honestly, I don't think 1-1.5 hours is too much to ask. It's not just for party ppl either. People who work odd hours, or just need general transportation will be able to enjoy it too.

as for what Gar said, I may have replied too harshly, and for that, i owe you my apologies. HOWEVER,

If one wants to go downtown, you should just move there? C'mon, that's not a realistic expectation. We live at the places we live in mostly due to cost, environment, work, circumstances, etc. If that means to dictate where we can or cannot go to enjoy ourselves, or just out for dinner/concert, then how is that right? Also, there is simply NO WAY everyone who wants to live near/in downtown to actually be able to FIT around downtown. There simply isn't enough space.

I don't think what I was suggesting was really a huge thing. Of course, I DON'T know what the cost of running a few trains a little later would be, however, I didn't think that it would be that great considering the amount of ridership it would attract, and also the safety it can provide. People get home safely. Less driving = less accidents, drunk drivers and pollution, if you want to count that as well. I'm not saying it will completely solve drunk driving, but i strongly believe it can greatly reduce the numbers.

Maybe a trial run of it from Translink? just to see if the cost/benefit justify thmselves? The police can still do their usual roadblocks, and the transit police and also perform their usual services. I don't have the numbers, so if anyone can come up with it, it'd be great.

The police would also be less stressed out, I myself would be less stressed out about getting creamed by joe blow in his drunken s-class. For an extra 3-4 hours of service per week, I think it's really achievable.

I'm not here for my personal gain to make this recommendation, since I can go home with fairly low transportation costs. I'm primarily trying to make a suggestion that may be FEASIBLE. something that would WORK, for the people and police a like. I've tried it, I like it. and if it did operate later, I believe a lot of people would agree too.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue951 View Post
Everyone keeps complaining about the Skytrain not running late. The system is aging and gets HEAVY use. it needs downtime to fix the track, switches cars etc etc. Sometimes it may require deenergizing the track and completely shutting it down. you think something that requires that kind of fix will be quick? I think it's pretty amazing they can keep all those kilometers of track in repair with only 4 hours a night, even on a rotating sched, which I am assuming they use.
If they ran it 24 hrs there'd be a LOT more problems when it matters, rush hours, and we all know theres more than enough of them already.

Night buses, yes, few and far between I think ever half hour if not less. But they do span the city and stop on a lot of major streets. You know why it doesn't come some times? Cause all those drunks are puking/fighting/pissing on the bus and once that's done the bus is parked and no theres no manpower to shuttle a bus out from the yard to replace it.

The system isn't for people who want to get piss drunk to the point where they're puking their guts out and becoming idiots.
You know why there's not better service at night in general?
because no one wants to deal with or risk dealing with a drunk who might start throwing punches for no reason, or destroying the backseat of the car.

If you want to drink that much, cause that much mess and headache for the people looking after you then yes you should be paying that 100$ round trip to surrey and back. And I feel bad for the taxi that will have to deal with the mess you leave behind.

It does come down to the bad few runing it for the rest of us who can drink and not leave a trail of destruction behind.
I'm talking about everyone, not just the destructive ones. If they're that drunk they probably can't get on a train anyhow. HOWEVER, destructive ppl are everywhere at every time. If they're not fucking up a bus, they'll be fucking up someone on the street or an establishment. I'm not saying they should be on the trains too, but I'm focussed mainly on the individuals who simply need a ride home after 4-5 drinks, feel a little woozy, but don't want to risk the drive.