REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Bladetape opinions

Anyone here use this stuff?

Some of my buddies like it and some don't, just wondering what other people think.

Saw someone use this other stuff called grip tape too.

Someone sent me an email too, they've got a 50% off deal on their website, so I might just give it a try anyways.

Thanks!
Advertisement
akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
personally i'm not a fan. it does dampen better, but i prefer the feel of thinner tape, which provides enough puck grip for me.

also, there's nothing that gets me excited about an upcoming game than prepping my stick with a new coat of tape.

lastly, if you're talking about what i think grip tape is, it's for the top of your stick. i'd probably stay away from putting that on my blade.

they're cheap, so i say just try it.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I would never use it. Part of playing hockey includes taping your sticks and getting them ready for games. I also don't like that Blade Tape does not protect the bottom of your blade from wear. $10 for 6 rolls of tape is a much better deal than 2 pieces of rubber on an adhesive backing if you ask me.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts

You talking about this stuff?

This is used for the top of your stick. Some people like it, cause you get the grip by just
wrapping one layer of it at the top, and you don't have to do that twist and spiral under taping
to make the grip.
The grip tape is not meant to be used on the blade I think. It's kind of "spongy" and soft feeling.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Not my thing...the way i play, without protection underneat my blade, my sticks will only last me a month.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Blade tape is horrible. They only sell due to marketing with nhl players. If you want to try other blade tape alternatives, there is Tacki-mac which has a lot better feel. You can do the old fashion tape with tape wax(or any kind of candle wax), or you can try 3M products.

http://www.3m.com/intl/ca/english/ce...liquidflex.htm

This is one of their newest ones, I haven't tried it, but a friend of mine just tried it in our last game yesterday. He seemed to like it. It almost has that same texture as those textured paint you roll on garage floors/patios.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #7

tacki mac sucks and it looks ugly.. The new 3M tape sucks too...plus there's so much prep to do. in order to apply 3M we have toe sand and primer the blade? WTF

Why are soem of you guys so stuck on your pre-game rituals?
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #8

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
long story short? because it's cool to do since the pros do it

long story long? because it needs to be done (tape is thrashed almost after every game), and it's something to do while waiting for the ice to set.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post

it relaxes me, i get quite nervous during league games. gotta be more on your game than some drop in game.

although i dont' tape my stick before at the rink, i like to do it at home and nice and slowly as well.

personally i dislike the blade tape because it doesn't protect your blade which might lead to cracks,

although it wouldn't be bad on a roller hockey blade imo, i dont' like tape on the bottom of my roller stick blades.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
i actually enjoy retaping my blade.. there is something called friction tape.. the bad thing about it is that it is that once it gets wet is starts to separate from the blade..
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/renfrewtape.html it is tacky on the outside surface as well. but only really only stays on properly if you put it over regular tape (which adds weight and too much cushioning, imo)

then there is the 3m liquid tape (it takes some time to put on and needs abotu 20 mins to dry.. other than that i love it.. you get the benefits of the friction tape above, the tackiness, and also it protects your regular tape.. from regular wear.. skate cuts are inevitable and you will probably have to redo because of that)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST%2Fbro...bmLocale=fr_CA

i actually like teh 3m stuff. at 10 bucks a bottle it is a bit pricey.. what i do is i put 2 coats.. had a game last night and it looks like the stuff will last anothe 2-3 games on regular wear.. and it works like wax in preventing snow buildup, but does a better job with friction.. i find wax makes the blade a bit slipper when wet.

oh ya, i hate blade tape and all those takci mac bs.. i hate not having the bottom of y blade taped.. and the bladetape is so rubbery the puck bounces off

before using the 3m stuff though, all i did was tape my stick from heel to toe, with wihte tape, then rub a puck on it.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=24673419
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote