REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Purchasing Out of Province Vehicle (ONTARIO)

Hey guys I need some help.

I have a family friend who is moving out of the country shortly and is considering selling his 1 year old car (with less than 6000 kms on it). It is that low because not too long after his purchase he moved back to Asia to work and just left the car in Toronto. Now he's coming back to sell his stuff hence my interest.

What exactly is the process of getting that car transferred from his name to my name? Would I need to first get an Ontario plate, drive/ship it to Vancouver, then get it inspected/plated here, or get the plating done first then bring it over to Ontario? Also, would I have to pay the PST/luxury tax, but is it based on the price I paid or the brand new value? Also, how would HST factor into this? This car is above $30,000 in value and is purchased from a local dealership.

The most related I have done that is related to this is a transfer from my mother to me (gift), so I am absolutely clueless on this and Google was only marginally helpful. Tried searching here but the threads were not recent so I would like to see if there are any new things to consider. I can deal with the car dealership stuff once the dealer stuff is settled.

Thanks!
Advertisement
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

you will need to get a temp permit from ontario to drive the car back to bc.

however you will have to carry insurance while you are coming across the country so ICBC will sell you 'binder' insurance that insures you and the vehicle while in transport.

once the car gets to bc, you will have to get a provincial inspection so it can be insured here.

you will have to pay taxes (HST) here for the vehicle before insuring it. you shouldnt have to pay any taxes on the vehicle out there. i went through all that when i bought my truck in alberta. i had to pay the GST in alberta, but only paid the provincial part of the HST once i was back in BC. since ontario has the HST, it might be a little different.

hope that helps.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Your best bet is to just call an ICBC representative and ask them directly.

I would also call MTO as well to confirm.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/used.shtml

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/temp.shtml

http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic...gister-vehicle
Old 10-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
I bought a car that was already here in BC but was not registered yet in BC

Owner signed the back of the registration papers from Ontario, Bill of Sale and the Official Transfer from AutoPlan. After that I had to transfer the ownership from him to me and then inspect and fix everything.

Then you can insure it and I believe you are exempt from AirCare the first time you insure it here, but the car I bought was pre-97 so I don't know about a newer car.

In your case you would have to buy a "Binder for Owner's Interim Certificate of Insurance" (from ICBC FAQs) then you are allowed to drive it back to BC.

You would have to bring the Bill of Sale and the Tax Transfer form from AutoPlan with you if you are flying over to Ontario then driving it back here.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
I'm invisible

You are exempt from aircare (if you need aircare) when you do the provincial inspection. ICBC automatically waves the aircare requirement when you reg the vehicle the first time. However, for example, if you purchase 3 month insurance, and you want to renew it, you are required to take it to aircare before you renew the 3 month policy. (2003 and older as of 2010).

The binder of owner interim is like an insurance for the vehicle. However, you do need an driving permit from the original province where the vehicle is from. The binder is called an APV38 (form #).