REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Tinting driver and passenger windows, penalties? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/628164-tinting-driver-passenger-windows-penalties.html)

GreddySpaghetti 10-21-2010 06:00 PM

Tinting driver and passenger windows, penalties?

Hi i'm new here and i was wondering what happens when you get pulled over and an officer dings you with having both your drvr pssngr window tinted, i bought a car recently that has both driver and passenger window tinted, mind you it is not a very dark tint at all.. but it is tinted, whats the worst that could happen if i don't change it and get dinged for it? Thanks.

johny 10-21-2010 06:25 PM

probably get a VI

Solo_D33A 10-21-2010 06:27 PM

VI, you car will have to take to vehicle inspection and have it passed, that means removing the tint.

if it's a check vehicle box (iirc box 2?) instead of just check whatever's written only, every aspect of your car have to be checked, that includes brakes, lights, malfunction lights etc.

just remove the tint, especially if it's not dark anyways.

ruthless 10-21-2010 07:24 PM

Depending on where you live most cops wont pull you over for tint, they may pull you over for speeding and then add the tint ticket/VI on top of that....so as long as you don't draw too much attention to yourself and the tint is light you should be ok, all depending on where you live though cuz richmond cops can be dicks

Soundy 10-21-2010 08:16 PM

Worst case? You REALLY wanna know?

Ticket for illegal tint ($138, if memory serves).
VI ordered (inspection costs around $100-$150).
Car towed (could be anywhere from $50-$200, depending how far it has to go).
If you have it towed home first, it will also have to be towed to the inspection shop.
To pass the VI, you have to remove the tint.
If anything else is wrong, you also have to fix that before it will pass. If the previous owner riced it out too much, that alone could be a hefty bill.
If you fail the inspection the first time, it will have to be re-inspected after the repairs are done - that's another $100-$150.

So WORST CASE here, you're now up to anywhere from $400 to $650, not including repairs.

Hope that's not too mouthy for ya.

Pokemon997 10-21-2010 11:14 PM

I got pulled over 1 year ago with tinted .25 passenger and driver window cop only ask me to take off the tint and told me if not will impound my car if seen again

Soundy 10-21-2010 11:35 PM

There are plenty of other similar stories from RSers... some where the cop ignored the tint, some where the cop made them peel it off on-the-spot... and some where the cop issued a ticket and a VI. They're within their legal powers to do any of the above. It's up to you if you want to roll the dice...

BallPeenHammer2 10-22-2010 07:17 AM

I don't believe a cop can make you peel it off on the spot. You're not trained to do it.
however, he CAN give you a fine. Most cops will be lenient and give you a warning first, but it is NOT mandatory for them to do that before issuing you a ticket for tint.

I would just take it off. It's too much headache.

Soundy 10-22-2010 08:15 AM

Of course he can't MAKE you do it. He CAN give you the option of doing it rather than taking the car for inspection.

Besides, how much training does it take?? If you can peel the screen protector off your new cell phone, you can peel the tint off a window.

yvrnycracer 10-22-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7155542)
Of course he can't MAKE you do it. He CAN give you the option of doing it rather than taking the car for inspection.

Besides, how much training does it take?? If you can peel the screen protector off your new cell phone, you can peel the tint off a window.

yeah and leave the glue all over the window making your visibility worse if anything... yeah that's a great idea... the tint laws are garbage and meaningless... if it was so dangerous it would be illegal everywhere...

Just awaiting the government to feel the need to start assessing points for this much like they have with exhaust violations... you know because you can so accurately measure sound on a busy downtown street... :thumbsup:

/rant

In most cases the officer will either give you a warning or a ticket... if he wants to be a dick he will give you a box 2 VI... expect a ticket from the traffic guys especially when they are sitting on robson in the summer months watching for tint/front plate violations... you know protecting society from the evils that those things bring... :bullshit:

---

Also use the search... this topic has been covered so many times its not even funny! :thumbsup:

Soundy 10-22-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvrnycracer (Post 7155921)
yeah and leave the glue all over the window making your visibility worse if anything...

Last time I installed tint, there was no "glue"... the tint just goes on with water and stays put under atmospheric pressure once the water dries.

My work van has lots of spots where the tint has been scraped off by materials and packaging, not a hint of glue anywhere in those areas.

jlenko 10-23-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7155976)
Last time I installed tint, there was no "glue"... the tint just goes on with water and stays put under atmospheric pressure once the water dries.

My work van has lots of spots where the tint has been scraped off by materials and packaging, not a hint of glue anywhere in those areas.

You know you're supposed to take off the clear liner that covers the adhesive, right? Then the glue sticks to the window. The water is to allow you to position the film and squeegee out air bubbles. When the residual water dries (2-3 days), then the film is firmly adhered to the glass.

Unless you're using a cling-type tint film.. but those suck ass.

Atmospheric pressure alone won't keep that tint on anything... there's no pressure difference between the window, the tint, or anything else. That's like putting a piece of paper on the top of your roof and expecting that same "atmospheric pressure" to keep it on the roof. Not going to happen..

Soundy 10-23-2010 10:49 PM

Well, it WAS about 15 years ago, so my memory may be a little off, but I DID follow the instructions, and there was nothing about removing a film, or adhesive, or anything else of the sort. The tint stayed put for the remaining five years I drove that car, until I wrote it off...

Perhaps if you're having problems with that type of tint, you're not installing it right. You certainly don't have much understanding of physics if you don't think it can stay on there without glue.

Solo_D33A 10-24-2010 04:05 PM

the last time I took my tint off, the tint itself have glue properties on it, thus you may think there's no glue? either that or newer ones are different from your 15 year old tint... :p (the tint sticks everywhere after it's peeled off kinda like a big piece of tape that lost about half of it's strength)

but taking it off is easy as long as you have the time and will to do it, took mine off without any problem or residue, better than when I had Downtown AutoSpa to re-tint my windows... they left glue residue on and tinted over it, thus leaving the front tint ruined, spots everywhere and front top edge is peeling... can't believe I payed money for those Aholes

keifun 10-24-2010 06:46 PM

I peeled mine off when I got home after a cop gave me a box 3 VI for it.

its a simple peel off and I just cleaned the glue off with some isopropanol, acetone and some elbow grease.

went to police station the next day, got it inspected and good to go.:D

jlenko 10-24-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7157703)
You certainly don't have much understanding of physics if you don't think it can stay on there without glue.

Ouch.. I guess it has been about 15 years or so since I took any Physics classes... but I know from experience that not peeling the clear layer off a tint sheet means it won't stay on the window if you're rolling that same window up and down...

If you're referring to a flat stationary window.. ok, it might stay. But it's not just atmospheric pressure at work there..

GreddySpaghetti 10-25-2010 12:04 PM

Got atmospheric pressure?

ilvtofu 10-25-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthless (Post 7154980)
Depending on where you live most cops wont pull you over for tint, they may pull you over for speeding and then add the tint ticket/VI on top of that....so as long as you don't draw too much attention to yourself and the tint is light you should be ok, all depending on where you live though cuz richmond cops can be dicks

Hmm I remember my uncle getting pulled over in his ML with stock tint and the PO wanted to key his window to see if it was tinted. My uncle told him if he scratches his window he's paying for a new one and the guy left him alone. Wasn't speeding or anything in downtown.

Walperstyle 10-26-2010 01:20 AM

Tinting windows is kinda stupid.

I know everyone has arguemnts like 'thieves wont see my stuff to steal in the car' or 'it keeps the interior cold in the summer', but really, its weak argument.

You don't need your windows tinted.

sebberry 10-26-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walperstyle (Post 7160850)
Tinting windows is kinda stupid.

I know everyone has arguemnts like 'thieves wont see my stuff to steal in the car' or 'it keeps the interior cold in the summer', but really, its weak argument.

You don't need your windows tinted.

How are those weak arguments? If someone presents to you an aspect of tint that they personally feel valuable (heat reduction for example) how is that a weak argument? You personally may not see the value in that but it doesn't mean the other guy doesn't.

Soundy 10-26-2010 03:05 PM

Have you ever actually done a scientific test of the heat reduction in tinted vs. non-tinted cars? Or are you just going on the manufacturers' marketing claims?

sebberry 10-26-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7161452)
Have you ever actually done a scientific test of the heat reduction in tinted vs. non-tinted cars? Or are you just going on the manufacturers' marketing claims?

I've noticed a difference in my car.

Soundy 10-26-2010 03:37 PM

:Orly: This is both before and after applying tint, then? Under identical weather conditions? Are you sure the tint actually made a difference, that "noticing" a difference wasn't just psychological? Got thermometer measurements to back it up?

Most people "notice a difference" sitting in front of a fan when it's hot, too. It's a pretty standard sixth-grade science experiment: put a thermometer in front of the fan and you'll see that it actually makes no difference in the temperature.

sebberry 10-26-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7161487)
:Orly: This is both before and after applying tint, then? Under identical weather conditions? Are you sure the tint actually made a difference, that "noticing" a difference wasn't just psychological? Got thermometer measurements to back it up?

Did I bother with a thermometer? No. But I can say that the AC struggles less and cools the car faster and it certainly doesn't feel as hot getting into it after it has been sitting in the sun.

Same reason people buy windshield shades - blocking the sun from beating down on the seats and steering wheel makes them cooler to the touch.

Explain to me why tint *wouldn't* keep the car cooler.

gars 10-26-2010 05:17 PM

Windshield shades work, because IR is reflected back through the window. Tint does that to a certain extent, but at a much lower rate than having the shade behind the window - especially when comparing it to a silvered shade. Windows, especially tinted ones absorb part of the IR wavelengths, but if they don't reflect it, they themselves will heat up, thus heating the air on the other side. Having tinted windows will reduce the amount of IR hitting your leather seats - which is personally one of the biggest discomforts I find in hot weather. BUT, if you get dark enough tint in the front windows (you obviously don't tint your front windshield), for it to actually make a difference, it definitely makes your car quite unsafe to drive.