REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Transporting large quantities of fuel for personal use (100+ liters) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/628210-transporting-large-quantities-fuel-personal-use-100-liters.html)

Rogue951 10-22-2010 09:24 AM

Transporting large quantities of fuel for personal use (100+ liters)

So I want to make weekly trips cross the border to get gas.
Between me and a buddy (we both drive large vehicles) we use about 50 liters each a week.
We have a small hitch mount platform that can accomodate 5 x 20L gas cans and we can strap and tie it down.

Is it legal to carry that much gas outside?
Will I have any trouble crossing the border?

Alternatively we have a trailer we can buy a single large tank for but I notice all the picksups that have that kind of metal tank in the bed have a hazardous materials plaque on the back? (I think) with the chemical ID number?
Would we need some kind of permit for that?

any help or giving me a direction to go would be appreciated.
Thanks!

TheNewGirl 10-22-2010 10:02 AM

I would call Customs and ask them directly if I were you. I believe you need dangerious goods documentation to transport bulk fuel in Canada.

Furthermore, the boarder guard COULD consider it dangerous/explosive/flammable which requires a permit to transport, but then they might not. I know of people who have done it with out issue and others who have had hassles.

I'd be armed with word directly from Customs Canada before I tried it.

InvisibleSoul 10-22-2010 10:29 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is that only gas that is in your vehicle's fuel tank is not subject to customs. Gas in other containers is subject to duty and taxes. I just looked it up on the tariff schedule, and it looks like there's no duty on gasoline, but I think you would need to pay 12% HST.

Rogue951 10-22-2010 10:35 AM

even 12% is cheaper than local.
last I checked its around 80c a liter, 12% = 89? 90c?.
we're averaging 115 lately.
I remember when it was sub 40's.... lol.

wing_woo 10-22-2010 12:00 PM

Most gas stations have a sign that say they will only sell a certain amount of gas to any one person at a time. I can't remember what that amount is, but it's written on the gas pump or somewhere on the station. At least in Vancouver, I see that. Don't know if they have any maximum that one person can buy at one time in the US.

Phil@rise 10-22-2010 12:18 PM

Get a used tidy tank with a filler setup. They are those big red tanks you see in the backs of pickups.

jlenko 10-23-2010 10:38 PM

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/industr...ndle_guide.pdf

You won't need placards unless you're transporting 2000L or more. But if you do.. the number is 1203 ;)

MindBomber 10-24-2010 12:24 AM

Tidy tanks are certified for either diesel or gas, I don't believe their interchangeable.
I have one in my truck and it weighs about 1100 pounds, so make sure that the trailer you put it in is up to the task.

skidmark 10-24-2010 07:15 AM

Your Tidy Tank still needs flammable labels. They should be supplied to you by the fuel seller at the bulk plant.

Soundy 10-24-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7157837)
Tidy tanks are certified for either diesel or gas, I don't believe their interchangeable.

I'd think it would just be the nozzle that's different: diesel pumps have a larger diameter nozzle than gasoline. There's no reason anything else in the tank would need to be different.

Quote:

I have one in my truck and it weighs about 1100 pounds, so make sure that the trailer you put it in is up to the task.
I assume that's WITH fuel?? Make sure your vehicle's tow package is up to the task as well (don't forget to factor in the weight of the trailer itself).