REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Anyone here with experience K-swapping?

I plan on K-swapping my Em2 in the near future, and trying to determine an approximate cost for parts is proving to be a nightmare. If anyone has done this swap already, and wouldn't mind sharing some of their experiences with me could you please send me a pm!

I tried talking to a shop about this and they quoted me $3500 just for a k20a3 motor, no transmission, and said I'd need to source all the misc. parts myself;
I found the identical motor, with transmission for $2000 in under 5 minutes. Now I'm a bit lost on who to go talk to.....

Thanks in advance guys!
Advertisement
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

try clubrsx. dont go k20a3. go A2
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Your gonna put a K into an em2? Good luck man your looking at 10G for a swap like that.

Berz out.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

K20a3 is a budget decision, of course I'd rather go with the k20a2 or k20a.

10g for the Type-R, and all new parts maybe.. Its possible to do for a lot less than that.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Ricer Mod

Dood I'm telling you it's not. If your getting a shop to do it, your looking at 10g all said and done. If your going to do it yourself (something I wouldn't recommend without at a lot of time and skill) you can maybe do it for half that depending on where you get your parts from. Also if your going to do something like this... why would settle for the shitty motor when you could spend a little more and get the good motor and be happier down the long run. I mean this is an expensive swap as it is so why cheap out on a shitty K? Also if your really interested get a K24 they are cheaper than the K20's and have more potential.

Berz out.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

fml

Last edited by danz; 06-27-2013 at 03:44 PM.
danz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Ricer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
people have been pulling upwards of 260whp out of K24s with just an intake manifold swap and tuning via kpro.

if i was going for a cheap K, thats the way id go.

This man speaks knowledge....

Berz out.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Wanna have a threesome?

My original plan was picking up a k24a1 or k24a4, since they have such unbelievable potential for a relatively inexpensive motor. Other knowledgeable guys are suggesting that it would be much less expensive, when wiring is factored in to go k20a3..

I know k-swaps are insanely expensive, but my quality Honda transmission is on its way out, so seems like the right time to do a swap..
Old 10-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Why are you doing a swap anyways?

is ur engine in that terrible a condition?

What engine do you have anyways?

If you wanna have some fun with the K series but maybe you should be a frankenstein motor say a K24a4 with a K20a head, its something like the b20/vtec and makes some crazy power
Old 10-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

I have a mint D17a2. I've changed the oil every 4000km with Royal Purple since I bought her with 50k, and currently she's at 125k. The problem is the auto trans is starting to slip, so I know its on its way out.

That leaves me a couple options:
Rebuild the auto for say $2500, and it'll prob die by 200k.
A/T to M/T swap around $3500, stuck with lame D series still.
or
K-swap, my parts list puts it at around $4000 plus labor, I would get a lower mileage motor in the process though. K20a3 to start with a possible upgrade later since the foundation has been laid.

**I may sell my car and just buy a manual, but I don't really want to take a risk on a high kilometer car. I confess, I'm a bit lost on what to do.
Back to midterm studying..
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

maybe just get a EP3/ DC5 and call it a day?

k20a3 doesn't have that much gain for a budget swap.

and i found a k20a3 with 40k, tranny ecu in less than 1 min for $1400
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...977315282.html
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
Ricer Mod

Wait the car is auto too? Buddy I'm telling you right now don't bother trying this. I'm not even gonna flame you I'm just going to say nicely don't bother even trying.....

Berz out.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
save yourself the hassle.. buy a manual dc5 or an ep3 and swap the head.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
Wanna have a threesome?

Trust me, I'd love to save the hassle and just sell my car, but its not that simple. I've done a lot of other mods to the car that I'd loose if I sell..

The extra parts work involved with an a/t to m/t isn't to bad once your already doing a k-swap, I've done the math. I appreciate not getting flamed guys, I know k-swapping sounds crazy, I'm just trying to explore all my options before I make a big decision.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Trust me, I'd love to save the hassle and just sell my car, but its not that simple. I've done a lot of other mods to the car that I'd loose if I sell..

The extra parts work involved with an a/t to m/t isn't to bad once your already doing a k-swap, I've done the math. I appreciate not getting flamed guys, I know k-swapping sounds crazy, I'm just trying to explore all my options before I make a big decision.
im just going to assume most of your mods are cosmetic based?
is the auto tranny toast already? honda ATF saved my honda tranny..
Old 10-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
Ricer Mod

Well K-swapping in itself isn't crazy. HOWEVER doing it into an EM2 is. Especially if your going to go with a shitty K.

Berz out.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
Wanna have a threesome?

Why is doing it into an EM2 crazy, but not other Hondas? Plus, add Hondata, an intake, exhaust, and cams to the a3 and I'd be making pretty decent numbers.

I've been changing with Honda ATF every second oil change for 80k km, theres a defect in the 2nd clutch pack of 7th gens that ultimately lead to their failure. I don't have many engine mods, but I've done a lot to the suspension, brakes, and some cosmetic stuff.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #18

as with all car alterations, custom is the most expensive word..

if you are happy with the k20a3, then do it..

but i would just say, if you are planning to do something this big, it is better to just get it right the first time around and not regret in the future.

i have an ep3.. i dont really have too much complaints on the k20a3..
im sure any rs sponsor can hook you up.. there are quite a few to choose from.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
That leaves me a couple options:
Rebuild the auto for say $2500, and it'll prob die by 200k.
A/T to M/T swap around $3500, stuck with lame D series still.
or
K-swap, my parts list puts it at around $4000 plus labor, I would get a lower mileage motor in the process though. K20a3 to start with a possible upgrade later since the foundation has been laid.
I just find it strange that you think you can get k swap done for 4k+labor... but you also think that it will cost you 2500 to rebuild the auto in your car...

Just buy a used auto trans for like 500 and have it installed for another 500... then sell it and buy a DC5 thats stick and already has the k20a2+ a much nicer interior, exterior, brakes, wheels, etc... the list goes on and on.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
Wanna have a threesome?

If you think my prices are unrealistic, what do you think things would cost?

If I went the rebuild route, I'd pull the trans and re-install myself. That saves a lot in labor, and thats what my number was based on.
I have a complete parts list with prices for a K-swap, would you like to see it, because it adds up to 4k.

I ruled out buying an RSX a long time ago, because I don't like the exterior styling and I don't want a leather interior. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
If you think my prices are unrealistic, what do you think things would cost?

If I went the rebuild route, I'd pull the trans and re-install myself. That saves a lot in labor, and thats what my number was based on.
I have a complete parts list with prices for a K-swap, would you like to see it, because it adds up to 4k.

I ruled out buying an RSX a long time ago, because I don't like the exterior styling and I don't want a leather interior. Thanks for the suggestion though.
A) Dont bother with rebuild, just getting another used auto trans will be much cheaper, and who's to say a rebuilt tranny will even be that reliable? + Your trans may not be a good candidate for a rebuild anyway.

B) Expect K swap labor to be in the 1500-2000 region for a clean, proper, and SAFE install. Also expect some decent downtime during the install.

C) K swap cost and parts, there is people around that have done the k swap themselves for 3-4k... but they usually have a list of parts that they got stellar deals on. Between the drivetrain, mounts, axles, radiator, sub frame, ac lines, wiring harness, shift plate, kpro or immob bypass, hoses, fluids, and possibly a header depending on the k swap you choose... it gets expensive fast. I would say you will spend bare minimum 7k for the cheapest possible k swap (With install).

K20a is going in my ITR very soon, and my budget is 14-16k. Even if I wanted to do it cheap, I know I would still need 10k.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: