REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Need suggestion on a nice restaurant? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/628681-need-suggestion-nice-restaurant.html)

tnkw 10-27-2010 12:58 AM

Need suggestion on a nice restaurant?

I looking for a nice quiet place to have dinner with my gf.

I am not looking for a chain/franchise restaurant. I am mainly looking for places that's not too loud and has a nice environment. Just to give a better idea on what I like, something on the line of Fraische restaurant would be nice.

Any suggestion would help, definitly need to have a good wine menu, and fresh oyster would be a huge bonus =)

all suggestions are welcome! Help me rs members :D

Thanks!

$$ isn't a problem as long as I don't spent like $100/person ;)

Matlock 10-28-2010 02:48 PM

I enjoyed the sharing the huge seafood platter at coast with my gf. It contained oysters mussles lobster kingcrab etc...
Posted via RS Mobile

a cool bonus was the dry ice smoking from under the metal platter. Looked so cool!

R&R 10-28-2010 03:02 PM

Try The Pear Tree in burnaby,
went there for bday was GREAT

http://www.peartreerestaurant.net/

TekDragon 10-28-2010 04:59 PM

La Crocodile is fantastic, downtown vancouver. Around $50 a head for food, that is without booze though.

For a bit less, The Old Surrey Restaurant in, well, Surrey is around $35 a head. Good french/west coast food. They support the idea of local ingredients (100 mile kind of thing).

bcrdukes 10-28-2010 05:30 PM

I haven't been to this restaurant in quite a long time but perhaps try Lift Bar & Grill. Although a little bit more on a casual side, my personal alternative to Lift would be The Crime Lab. The only drawback is that they may not have oysters unlike Lift. I've only had good experiences at Crime Lab with nothing in particular to complain or nit pick about. Both are located in Coal Harbour and have excellent wine offerings.

TRDood 10-28-2010 09:38 PM

I enjoyed Bluewater Cafe in Yaletown.

I had the 2nd tier seafood tower, some kind of roll, fries with truffle oil.. we don't drink, so the bill with tip was something like $150.

http://www.bluewatercafe.net/home.html

JSilver 10-28-2010 10:18 PM

Hart House.

Quite. Elegant. Peaceful.

Matlock 10-29-2010 01:22 AM

Oh yeah,
Also Sandbar in Granville Island was really good...
-and I also enjoyed West.

TheNewGirl 10-29-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDood (Post 7164678)
I enjoyed Bluewater Cafe in Yaletown.

I had the 2nd tier seafood tower, some kind of roll, fries with truffle oil.. we don't drink, so the bill with tip was something like $150.

http://www.bluewatercafe.net/home.html

This is my favorite too. It will be pricey but it's always worth it.

Hart House is good too but it's more game food than seafood.

Overseas Auto1 10-29-2010 08:54 AM

there is the Olympia restaurant on west broadway. its cozy in a lot of regards, they have a lot of greek/italian food and always good. I dont know about the oysters, but you can call them, 604 732 5334

JSilver 10-29-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7165022)
This is my favorite too. It will be pricey but it's always worth it.

Hart House is good too but it's more game food than seafood.

Game food?! Lol have you been there before? I hope you're talking about a different restaurant. And neither do they specialize in seafood. But they do have fresh ocean oyster on their appetizer list as the OP was looking for.

The restaurant holds massive weddings in their backyard during the summer overlooking the lake. Perfect view from the sun set adds the major plus. Al though your not looking onto getting married.

Just a heads up.

Le Crocodile is also up there IMO. EVEN though I have never been there, I suggested a friend to go their from hearing praise for the their food. It did not disappoint him one bit. I shall go there soon!

6793026 10-29-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 7164179)
I enjoyed the sharing the huge seafood platter at coast with my gf. It contained oysters mussles lobster kingcrab etc...

a cool bonus was the dry ice smoking from under the metal platter. Looked so cool!

This place aint bad, and you're right, sitting outside with the lovely seafood platter was great. The dry ice sure was good. Keep in mind to dress properly, it's not an upscale place but everyone is in their late 20 or 30s and no one wears jeans in there. Not that you can't wear shorts and t-shirt and get kicked out but ... you know what i mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7164337)
I haven't been to this restaurant in quite a long time but perhaps try Lift Bar & Grill. Although a little bit more on a casual side, my personal alternative to Lift would be The Crime Lab. The only drawback is that they may not have oysters unlike Lift. I've only had good experiences at Crime Lab with nothing in particular to complain or nit pick about. Both are located in Coal Harbour and have excellent wine offerings.

Lift is way more expensive than Crime Lab, crime lab has more tapas and more catered to younger crowd. I still remember back in the days my gf would tell me girls would do lines at the washrooms and a lot of the guys there did drugs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekDragon (Post 7164297)
La Crocodile is fantastic, downtown vancouver. Around $50 a head for food, that is without booze though.

this place is amazing, just as good as West in term of the service and food (totally diff. style of restaurant since La Crocodile is French.

TRDood 10-29-2010 09:08 PM

I don't really know why people would dress up for a restaurant. I would only if it's for business or special ocassion e.g. Wedding.

However, if I just want to try out those fine dining restaurants just because I am curious about the food... I would just wear normal jeans + tee. How do you guys eat comfortably with your suit or dress shoes on?
Posted via RS Mobile

miss_crayon 10-29-2010 09:11 PM

Carderos? Its a bit more casual and can get loud but lots of seafood and great plates to share.
Posted via RS Mobile

miss_crayon 10-29-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 7165726)
Carderos? Its a bit more casual and can get loud but lots of seafood and great plates to share.
Posted via RS Mobile

Hmmm maybe scratch carderos out since you said you don't want a loud environment.

Provence marinaside is my go to place when I wnt good food and a nice environment. Seafood bar available as well! Plates go for about 20-35 depending on what you get.
Posted via RS Mobile

tnkw 10-29-2010 11:26 PM

thanks guys/girls/ i will look into each and see what i decide =) keep them comming ~~ 3qvm

6793026 10-30-2010 01:11 AM

I do tons of business meetings in suits and dress shoes ... not that hard.

there's no law saying you can't wear flip flops, jean shorts and a tank top and walk inside West, Le Crocodile, or Bacchus Restaurant and spend 200 dollars a head, but you'll surely look like an outcast for standing out. Maybe that's why you're single maybe?

observer 10-31-2010 06:07 PM

le Crocodile with link to Zagat rating:

http://imperialhotelmanagementcolleg...rip-today.html