REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Red light camera and left turn (https://www.revscene.net/forums/628745-red-light-camera-left-turn.html)

tiger_handheld 10-27-2010 09:49 PM

Red light camera and left turn

Do red light camera's work for left turns? Or are they only effective when going straight?

snowball 10-27-2010 10:15 PM

If there's no dedicated left turn lane, the red light camera will still work.

johny 10-27-2010 11:14 PM

I don't know if it would get a 2nd pic as they'd be aimed going through, but don't know.

xmisstrinh 10-28-2010 02:49 PM

i turned left multiple time on red lights. didn't get in trouble =]

ruthless 10-28-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmisstrinh (Post 7164182)
i turned left multiple time on red lights. didn't get in trouble =]

do it almost everyday, going to school, haven't got ticket yet

InvisibleSoul 10-28-2010 04:42 PM

I can tell you for a fact that they do indeed "work" for left turns. The criteria is no different than if you are going straight.

If you enter the intersection after the light turns red, one picture gets snapped. Once your full car is into the intersection, a second picture is snapped.

That's all the evidence required to issue a red light ticket. Doesn't matter if you're going straight or turning left.

ruthless 10-28-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7164275)
I can tell you for a fact that they do indeed "work" for left turns. The criteria is no different than if you are going straight.

If you enter the intersection before the light turns red, one picture gets snapped. Once your full car is into the intersection, a second picture is snapped.

That's all the evidence required to issue a red light ticket. Doesn't matter if you're going straight or turning left.

this makes no sense

so your telling me if im in the intersection while making a left and the light turns red my pic gets snapped? (no it doesnt)...if the light is red and I enter the intersection then it gets snapped...

OP was referring to when one makes a left turn while waiting in the intersection and the light turns red...the pic does not get snapped

Bainne 10-28-2010 06:09 PM

Two photos are snapped with red light cameras. A photo is ONLY taken after the light turns red.

What InvisibleSoul is saying, is that

Red light camera tickets will only be admissible if the first photo shows that the vehicle was NOT in the intersection when the first photo is taken. The second should/will show the vehicle in the intersection during a red light.

Simply put, if in the photo the car is behind the crosswalk, and the second, the vehicle is in the intersection, then you are running a red light, whether its going straight through, or making a left turn.

So yes, your photo MAY be snapped while taking a left hand turn on a red. However, provided you you were already in the intersection before the light turned red -as you are permitted to make a left turn on a red, provided you entered the intersection on a green - the first photo will show the car already in the intersection, and thus you cannot receive a ticket for running a red light.

ruthless 10-28-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bainne (Post 7164384)
Two photos are snapped with red light cameras. A photo is ONLY taken after the light turns red.

What InvisibleSoul is saying, is that

Red light camera tickets will only be admissible if the first photo shows that the vehicle was NOT in the intersection when the first photo is taken. The second should/will show the vehicle in the intersection during a red light.

Simply put, if in the photo the car is behind the crosswalk, and the second, the vehicle is in the intersection, then you are running a red light, whether its going straight through, or making a left turn.

So yes, your photo MAY be snapped while taking a left hand turn on a red. However, provided you you were already in the intersection before the light turned red -as you are permitted to make a left turn on a red, provided you entered the intersection on a green - the first photo will show the car already in the intersection, and thus you cannot receive a ticket for running a red light.

aww i see thnx for clearing that up, but when the photos are taken is there a flash? because i remember seeing a flash when I saw a car running a red light in front of me

Porschedog 10-28-2010 07:49 PM

Yeah it does snap when your turning left on a red. Seen massive amount of peeps getting snapped when going up Willington and turning left on kingsway haha.

1exotic 10-28-2010 08:12 PM

I've been snapped twice, Hastingg/Willington interestion. Shit didn't happen.

InvisibleSoul 10-29-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthless (Post 7164277)
this makes no sense

so your telling me if im in the intersection while making a left and the light turns red my pic gets snapped? (no it doesnt)...if the light is red and I enter the intersection then it gets snapped...

OP was referring to when one makes a left turn while waiting in the intersection and the light turns red...the pic does not get snapped

Sorry, my bad.

Meant to say first picture has to show that your car has NOT entered the intersection before the light turned red, and the second picture shows your car fully in the intersection with the light still red.