REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Red light camera and left turn

Do red light camera's work for left turns? Or are they only effective when going straight?
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,603 Times in 544 Posts
If there's no dedicated left turn lane, the red light camera will still work.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

I don't know if it would get a 2nd pic as they'd be aimed going through, but don't know.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

i turned left multiple time on red lights. didn't get in trouble =]
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmisstrinh View Post
i turned left multiple time on red lights. didn't get in trouble =]
do it almost everyday, going to school, haven't got ticket yet
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
I can tell you for a fact that they do indeed "work" for left turns. The criteria is no different than if you are going straight.

If you enter the intersection after the light turns red, one picture gets snapped. Once your full car is into the intersection, a second picture is snapped.

That's all the evidence required to issue a red light ticket. Doesn't matter if you're going straight or turning left.

Last edited by InvisibleSoul; 10-29-2010 at 08:44 AM.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
& Associates Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
I can tell you for a fact that they do indeed "work" for left turns. The criteria is no different than if you are going straight.

If you enter the intersection before the light turns red, one picture gets snapped. Once your full car is into the intersection, a second picture is snapped.

That's all the evidence required to issue a red light ticket. Doesn't matter if you're going straight or turning left.
this makes no sense

so your telling me if im in the intersection while making a left and the light turns red my pic gets snapped? (no it doesnt)...if the light is red and I enter the intersection then it gets snapped...

OP was referring to when one makes a left turn while waiting in the intersection and the light turns red...the pic does not get snapped
Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Two photos are snapped with red light cameras. A photo is ONLY taken after the light turns red.

What InvisibleSoul is saying, is that

Red light camera tickets will only be admissible if the first photo shows that the vehicle was NOT in the intersection when the first photo is taken. The second should/will show the vehicle in the intersection during a red light.

Simply put, if in the photo the car is behind the crosswalk, and the second, the vehicle is in the intersection, then you are running a red light, whether its going straight through, or making a left turn.

So yes, your photo MAY be snapped while taking a left hand turn on a red. However, provided you you were already in the intersection before the light turned red -as you are permitted to make a left turn on a red, provided you entered the intersection on a green - the first photo will show the car already in the intersection, and thus you cannot receive a ticket for running a red light.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
& Associates Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post
Two photos are snapped with red light cameras. A photo is ONLY taken after the light turns red.

What InvisibleSoul is saying, is that

Red light camera tickets will only be admissible if the first photo shows that the vehicle was NOT in the intersection when the first photo is taken. The second should/will show the vehicle in the intersection during a red light.

Simply put, if in the photo the car is behind the crosswalk, and the second, the vehicle is in the intersection, then you are running a red light, whether its going straight through, or making a left turn.

So yes, your photo MAY be snapped while taking a left hand turn on a red. However, provided you you were already in the intersection before the light turned red -as you are permitted to make a left turn on a red, provided you entered the intersection on a green - the first photo will show the car already in the intersection, and thus you cannot receive a ticket for running a red light.
aww i see thnx for clearing that up, but when the photos are taken is there a flash? because i remember seeing a flash when I saw a car running a red light in front of me
Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Yeah it does snap when your turning left on a red. Seen massive amount of peeps getting snapped when going up Willington and turning left on kingsway haha.
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
I've been snapped twice, Hastingg/Willington interestion. Shit didn't happen.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
this makes no sense

so your telling me if im in the intersection while making a left and the light turns red my pic gets snapped? (no it doesnt)...if the light is red and I enter the intersection then it gets snapped...

OP was referring to when one makes a left turn while waiting in the intersection and the light turns red...the pic does not get snapped
Sorry, my bad.

Meant to say first picture has to show that your car has NOT entered the intersection before the light turned red, and the second picture shows your car fully in the intersection with the light still red.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote