REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

N sign in Alberta

I've searched up and down on here and google and came up with nothing. I'd have thought this would have been asked before alot...

Do i need to put an N sign on my car in alberta? I'm flying out monday morning and need to rent a car, not sure if i should pack an N along with me.

I guess maybe its common sense, since its a 'restriction' on my DL, but what's the point if nobody over there even knows what it means?
Advertisement
Jeremy617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Wow really? You answered your own question in the last bit, they won't enforce a law that isn't theirs, need a fail button for rs mobile
Posted via RS Mobile
t-o-o-MUCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
How are you going to rent a car???
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You may get stopped there and the Police do have access to your DL info. You might run into one who reads the back of your Dl where it says you must display the N. It's easy to see that yiou are violating your restrictions. I'm sure Alberta has a section of their MCAct that deals with that. Keeping iin mind that your rental contract requires you to obey all laws...get into a crash and they may invalidate your coverage. Why not just take an N instead of a chance?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
How are you going to rent a car???
Posted via RS Mobile
Presumably he will walk up to the rental agent and ask to rent a car, but I'm just speculating here.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Presumably he will walk up to the rental agent and ask to rent a car, but I'm just speculating here.

good guess. Just because i have an N doesn't mean i'm 17.

Guess i'll bring it along, doesn't bother me to have it on the car, was simply curious if it was required. Good point about the rental agreement, didn't think about that, I would definitely be in trouble if i got into an accident.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Sorry to stereotype N drivers lol...
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
You may get stopped there and the Police do have access to your DL info. You might run into one who reads the back of your Dl where it says you must display the N. It's easy to see that yiou are violating your restrictions. I'm sure Alberta has a section of their MCAct that deals with that. Keeping iin mind that your rental contract requires you to obey all laws...get into a crash and they may invalidate your coverage. Why not just take an N instead of a chance?
I guess strictly speaking you are bound by the conditions of the province your license is in, and could be ticketed under a general contrary to license restrictions rule, but checking with the Alberta Traffic Fines And Demerits, they don't actually seem have an all encompassing section for that?

They only have specific license restriction penalties:

Violation: Penalty

Alcohol consumption :Immediate 30 day suspension

More passengers than seat belts - 32(4)/33(8) : $100 fine & 2 demerit points

Driving after midnight (learners only) - 51(g) :$100 fine & 2 demerit points

No accompanying driver 51(e)/(f.1) : $200 fine & 2 demerit points

I honestly have a very hard time believing an officer would be able to enforce a law that pertains to a motor vehicle act violation from another province and has no equivilant in the province where the offence occurred. Aside from just the serving of the ticket... would it even be able to stand up in court?

It also brings into question, what type of enforcement would prevail in a case where a novice driver is violating restrictions set out in both; disallowed in BC yet allowed in Alberta? For instance, Alberta allows as many passengers as there are seatbelts (are you normally allowed more passangers than seatbelts lol ). Yet if a N driver from BC is pulled over with two non related individuals (disallowed under the BC MVA) in their car with 4 seatbelts while driving in Alberta - would the Alberta law be able to enforce the BC restriction? Despite the fact that their actions were allowed under Alberta's GPL Probationary stage (equivalent to BC's N).

Further on the what if's - does this translate into an officer in another province being able to enforce ANY motor vehicle law of the individuals home province? So if an individual from BC is caught doing 40km/h or higher in AB, could their vehicle still be towed for 7 days, etc etc.?

Last edited by Bainne; 10-28-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
My point was that the rental companies are very strict when it comes to insurance claim payouts and the legality of coverage. I have been instructed to call tow trucks and seize vehicles from drivers on their behalf, when drivers have been found violating the conditions of their rental contract. It just seems so much simpler to carry a N instead of finding out the hard way at roadside in Frostbite Alberta at 7pm on a Sunday....but then, that is the RS way isnt it?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
My point was that the rental companies are very strict when it comes to insurance claim payouts and the legality of coverage. I have been instructed to call tow trucks and seize vehicles from drivers on their behalf, when drivers have been found violating the conditions of their rental contract. It just seems so much simpler to carry a N instead of finding out the hard way at roadside in Frostbite Alberta at 7pm on a Sunday....but then, that is the RS way isnt it?
you convinced me with your first post. I'll be wearing my N all week :P

don't think my boss would be too happy if i missed my return flight and had my rentar car towed.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post
I honestly have a very hard time believing an officer would be able to enforce a law that pertains to a motor vehicle act violation from another province and has no equivilant in the province where the offence occurred. Aside from just the serving of the ticket... would it even be able to stand up in court?

It also brings into question, what type of enforcement would prevail in a case where a novice driver is violating restrictions set out in both; disallowed in BC yet allowed in Alberta? For instance, Alberta allows as many passengers as there are seatbelts (are you normally allowed more passangers than seatbelts lol ). Yet if a N driver from BC is pulled over with two non related individuals (disallowed under the BC MVA) in their car with 4 seatbelts while driving in Alberta - would the Alberta law be able to enforce the BC restriction? Despite the fact that their actions were allowed under Alberta's GPL Probationary stage (equivalent to BC's N).

Further on the what if's - does this translate into an officer in another province being able to enforce ANY motor vehicle law of the individuals home province? So if an individual from BC is caught doing 40km/h or higher in AB, could their vehicle still be towed for 7 days, etc etc.?
In the case of your N, the restrictions exist and are even printed ON THE DRIVER'S LICENSE, regardless of the local laws. If your license states you're not allowed to drive after dark, then you bloody well better not be caught driving after dark in any other province. If it states that you require corrective eyewear, then have to use your corrective eyewear when driving, or you're violating the restrictions on your license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote