REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   How BAD SCIENCE has fucked us up (https://www.revscene.net/forums/628984-how-bad-science-has-fucked-us-up.html)

SkinnyPupp 10-31-2010 08:37 AM

How BAD SCIENCE has fucked us up

Here's a recent presentation by Tom Naughton (the maker of the Fat Head documentary I posted a while back). In it, he discusses how our dietary guidelines are fundamentally flawed, being based on horrible science.

Agree or not, I urge you to at least watch all 5 parts. You will learn something, I guarantee :thumbsup:

And here's an idea: Let's keep this thread flame-free if possible :)

And don't start pointless arguments by citing the AHA and organizations like that (you'll see why in the video).

geeknerd 10-31-2010 09:07 AM

So in conclusion, science is bad and religion is good.
Its Sunday, gotta go to church now, cya.

Presto 10-31-2010 09:26 AM

great movie. Watch, and be educated. Yum yum!
Posted via RS Mobile

dark0821 10-31-2010 12:31 PM

good watch...

rsx 10-31-2010 01:39 PM

very informative

Razor Ramon HG 10-31-2010 03:22 PM

Thank you for this

Leopold Stotch 10-31-2010 03:36 PM

this is a lot to watch, you better not disappoint.

MG1 10-31-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 7167024)
So in conclusion, science is bad and religion is good.
Its Sunday, gotta go to church now, cya.

I think bad science in this sense is science that is bad, not how science is bad and religion is better.

Bad girl = a girl that is bad

Bad science = science that is bad

Good science - science that is done correctly......... nevermind. I just confused myself, LOLOLOLOL..........

Soundy 10-31-2010 04:08 PM

And good girl = girl that is done correctly?? ;)

DragonChi 10-31-2010 04:53 PM

bad science?

Not that I've seen the videos yet, I'll get around to that.

But I know in the states, the food industry pretty much manages themselves and lobbyists fight to provide food as cheap as possible with being as least transparent as possible. I would wager like the tobacco lobbyists used to.

So I'd rather say, it's science motivated with the wrong intentions.

I'd like to add that corn is heavy subsidized in the states too, so farmers are forced to grow only that crop.

What happens then? When a lot of our food comes from corn or corn derivatives? Foods very low in nutrition and high in calories. There's epicdemic going on theses days where people are getting under nurished but over fed/obese.

SkinnyPupp 10-31-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 7167386)
bad science?

Not that I've seen the videos yet, I'll get around to that.

But I know in the states, the food industry pretty much manages themselves and lobbyists fight to provide food as cheap as possible with being as least transparent as possible. I would wager like the tobacco lobbyists used to.

So I'd rather say, it's science motivated with the wrong intentions.

I'd like to add that corn is heavy subsidized in the states too, so farmers are forced to grow only that crop.

What happens then? When a lot of our food comes from corn or corn derivatives? Foods very low in nutrition and high in calories. There's epicdemic going on theses days where people are getting under nurished but over fed/obese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIwrV5e6fMY

You/Jamie Oliver are on the right track with the corn thing, but unfortunately he doesn't really know anything about nutrition. You and he should both watch the presentation I posted :D

RRxtar 10-31-2010 08:00 PM

very good watch

liu13 10-31-2010 08:47 PM

someone cliffnote the bitch

belka 10-31-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liu13 (Post 7167578)

Just watch the fucking thing.

cunninglinguist 10-31-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liu13 (Post 7167578)

FDA scientists = morons
high fat diet doesn't cause heart disease
refined carbs and sugar = bad
insulin controls weight more than calories in/out

jasonturbo 10-31-2010 10:32 PM

I think there is an obvious difference between science, and the application of information learned form science.

As much as "science" has harmed the quality of the food we eat, that same "science" has basically doubled our life expectancy over the course of less than 300 years...

It's a matter of application being faulty, not fundementals.

EDIT* Also on the subject of science having a harmful effect on the food we eat, it has also protected us from poor or diseased crops/livestock/etc (Diseases and weather treans which would occur naturally)... which could kill you long before your teeth fall apart and you end up diabetic. I would prefer food high in refined carbs over no food at all.

EDIT #2* I'm sorry, but I think this must be a joke, yes some of what he says is indeed fact (as proven by science...), but some of it is... well... you cant bash science, and then say that science sucks because people arent adhering to the basics of scientific method... based on your opinions. Science is of course, at times applied in way that may not be for the greater good, but in the interest of financial gain... doesnt make science bad... makes big business bad. Grrrr....

trancehead 10-31-2010 10:42 PM

hahha love how the title of this thread can be read in different ways

HOW BAD science fucked us

How BAD SCIENCE fucked us

SkinnyPupp 10-31-2010 11:51 PM

Yeah I think that the title has confused jason turbo. It has nothing against science, but everything about BAD science. Of course had he watched it, and (more importantly) comprehended it, he wouldn't have said any of that ;)

You can really tell the difference between people arguing for the sake of arguing, and those who actually disagree with what is being said. ;)

I have edited the title, in order to further weed out the ignorant folks and their preconceived notions, and blind useless arguments

I'll also add a couple "coles" notes:

-The very idea that saturated fat/high cholesterol causing heart disease is based on observational studies, which are just that - observations that have yet to be proven. And BAD observations at that, since key results are purposefully left out

-The nutritional guidelines that have been in place since the 70's is based on BAD SCIENCE, and they are essentially performing a clinical trial on the entire nation (and everyone else who follows them, like Canada, UK, and even Hong Kong)

-Apparently the trial is failing, as people are getting fatter and sicker than ever before, despite the improvement of medical technology.

Posted via RS Mobile

PiuYi 11-01-2010 12:49 AM

havn't had time to watch so will reserve comment, but anyone here watched King Corn? its worth watching to better understand what we are eating and why

Oleophobic 03-07-2011 04:29 PM

ok wtf I was literally reading the fat head thread again in the health/wellness forum (just felt like it) and then someone today bumps up this thread in VOT

edit: lol i guess skinnypup deleted the post just before mine

SkinnyPupp 03-07-2011 05:24 PM

Fathead is on netflix now btw

hal0g0dv2 03-07-2011 06:11 PM

sick watch

taylor192 03-07-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7167732)
You can really tell the difference between people arguing for the sake of arguing, and those who actually disagree with what is being said. ;)

You can really tell the difference between those who have a point, and those who can get it across. ;)

You may be correct, yet if you phrase it improperly so it confuses people, or insult them so they don't respect your view, then what have you accomplished? Nothing, cause you haven't taught anyone anything. Luckily Tom has figured out how to get his point across without alienating his audience. :p

I'll go one further than jasonturbo, it is not bad science, it is not bad business, it is stupid people. People latch onto ideas and run with them. Remember the Atken's craze? everyone avoiding carbs cause they foolishly thought the first stage of Atkens (aka the only part of it they read) was all its about - when Atkens is a program with stages that eventually lead to a balanced diet including carbs by reintroducing good carbs after eliminating the bad.

Even Tom Naughton agrees that carbs are fine as long as they remain a certain percentage of your diet - ie a balanced diet. Not rocket science, yet not trendy, so stupid people will never buy in. :D

StaxBundlez 03-07-2011 09:52 PM

science sucks..

wtf believes that shit?

god has been there since the beginning!!! SO WORSHIP HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

jasonturbo 03-08-2011 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7167732)
Yeah I think that the title has confused jason turbo. It has nothing against science, but everything about BAD science. Of course had he watched it, and (more importantly) comprehended it, he wouldn't have said any of that ;)

Whoa back from the dead lol I never checked back on this thread...

I didn't actually watch the video, just the first few minutes and couldn't be bothered to watch the rest. More than anything, I jumped to a conclusion based on my interpretation of your thread title.

As an active anti-theist, there is always a portion of my day spent reading about some kind of attack on science in the name of one god or another. (Typically at the hands of creationists or the tea party movement... aka Fox News) So after a while you just lose your mind whenever you read anything about science in a negative context... even if the way it is written, isn't necessarily how it is meant to be read. ;)