REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Loud Exhaust ticket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/629831-loud-exhaust-ticket.html)

s300ae 11-09-2010 08:07 PM

Loud Exhaust ticket

Anyone get a ticket for custom exhaust?

so i looked up the mva. i was really productive at work.
turns out he didnt really give me a ticket for the lack of stock muffler.
i got a ticket for:

7A.01 No person shall start, drive, turn or stop any motor vehicle, or accelerate the vehicle engine while the vehicle is stationary, in a manner which causes any loud and unnecessary noise in or from the engine, exhaust system or the braking system, or from the contact of the tires with the roadway.

is this another word for "burn out" or "drag race"
i barely pulled off once the light turned green, because i was making the next left not even half a block away.

i chose to dispute it. i used my friends db meter (hes a home entertainment installer) and it measured at 66db at idle 6ft away, and 82db at 2500 rpm. the legal limit for cars is 83db

any help/advice?

GabAlmighty 11-09-2010 08:14 PM

So you got unecessary noise? I've gotten that ticket, don't know what's going on with it though.

The way I see it, you could get that ticket if it was 3am and you were needlessly redlining your car in 1st gear through a quiet neighbourhood.... But i'm no cop.

Mr.Jay 11-09-2010 08:49 PM

also I believe that when the cops where doing exhaust checks last time they required you to rev up to 3k which lookin at your numbers might be over 83dB

Gee.Tee.Ar 11-09-2010 08:55 PM

where did u get this ticket at .. richmond?

BallPeenHammer2 11-09-2010 08:55 PM

I've had a few. Disputed them all. Won them all.

Main thing is, my exhaust at 3000rpm is 77-81db in that rev range.

And they don't like that =)

johny 11-09-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s300ae (Post 7180053)
the legal limit for cars is 83db

any help/advice?

read the laws again

s300ae 11-09-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 7180157)
read the laws again

kay.... not sure what you mean by that.

Vehicle noise

27 A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler which complies with section 7.03 of the regulations.

The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.

When tested in an inspection station, the vehicle engine, any auxiliary engine and exhaust level shall not exceed Table 3 standards.

[en. B.C. Reg. 658/76, s. 2.]
Class of Vehicle Maximum Allowable
Sound Pressure Level
DBA
Light duty 83
Gasoline-driven heavy duty 88
Motorcycles 91
Diesel-driven heavy duty 93

straight from the mva

s300ae 11-09-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee.Tee.Ar (Post 7180106)
where did u get this ticket at .. richmond?

in surrey. guildford area. 3am. no one else on the road. stuck out like a sore thumb:thumbsup:

s300ae 11-09-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 7180062)
So you got unecessary noise? I've gotten that ticket, don't know what's going on with it though.

The way I see it, you could get that ticket if it was 3am and you were needlessly redlining your car in 1st gear through a quiet neighbourhood.... But i'm no cop.

fingers crossed for him not showing up. if i was his only ticket that night, it might be worth his time. i got a ticket last year for an illegal pass. the cop never showed.

i am still looking for arguments. he didnt actually measure how loud it is or give me a VI.

BallPeenHammer2 11-10-2010 06:24 PM

if he didn't measure it, then u're doing pretty well.

I know cops can "estimate" speed of vehicle (which I think is pure bullshit).
I don't see how they can estimate "sound" unless it was as loud as a freight train.

BallPeenHammer2 11-10-2010 06:24 PM

Also, I wonder, what if the exhaust sound was STOCK OEM?

(IE: Viper, corvette, Ferraris, etc.)

It's not like you can really AVOID it when it's STOCK.

s300ae 11-10-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7181174)
Also, I wonder, what if the exhaust sound was STOCK OEM?

(IE: Viper, corvette, Ferraris, etc.)

It's not like you can really AVOID it when it's STOCK.

i questioned his ability to 'estimate' how loud it was.
all he said was that its not a v8...i told him its a v6, 3.0 fairly close... i was trying to state my case. i guess we'll see once the time comes

Brianrietta 11-11-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s300ae (Post 7180205)
kay.... not sure what you mean by that.

Vehicle noise

27 A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler which complies with section 7.03 of the regulations.

The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.

When tested in an inspection station, the vehicle engine, any auxiliary engine and exhaust level shall not exceed Table 3 standards.

[en. B.C. Reg. 658/76, s. 2.]
Class of Vehicle Maximum Allowable
Sound Pressure Level
DBA
Light duty 83
Gasoline-driven heavy duty 88
Motorcycles 91
Diesel-driven heavy duty 93

straight from the mva

Being above the maximum allowable SPL shown in that chart is unnecessary according to the very same section you quoted, so as Johny said, read the laws again...

s300ae 11-11-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugene (Post 7182081)

Being above the maximum allowable SPL shown in that chart is unnecessary according to the very same section you quoted, so as Johny said, read the laws again...

does a cop certify as a qualified inspector? or does it have to be inspected by a professional?

zulutango 11-11-2010 04:11 PM

Police are deemed to be "inspectors" by the Supt M Vehs.

skidmark 11-11-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7181173)
I know cops can "estimate" speed of vehicle (which I think is pure bullshit).

You can estimate the speed of a vehicle too. In fact, if you have some driving experience, the court will accept YOUR estimate of the speed of a vehicle that you have observed. I suspect that neither you nor I can estimate that a car is going 51 in a 50, but I'll bet that we can both know that a car going 65 is speeding in a 50 zone.

Still think it's bullshit?

GabAlmighty 11-11-2010 07:31 PM

I got a ticket and the cop didn't know my speed. All he said was that he was gong X speed and I was pulling away from him and that he couldn't keep up.

On the ticket all it said was "more than 60km/h" over.... Got a letter couple months ago saying that the ticket was basically voided and cancelled.

I always thought it was cancelled because he didn't actually have my speed, but now you're making me think twice skidmark.... Got any theories as to why it was cancelled? Or could it be an infinite amount? hahaha.

sho_bc 11-11-2010 09:07 PM

It could be for any reason of things. ICBC won't cancel a ticket because the officer didn't know the exact speed. ICBC doesn't get a copy of the evidence.

s300ae 11-12-2010 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7182291)
Police are deemed to be "inspectors" by the Supt M Vehs.

thats not very comforting.

BallPeenHammer2 11-12-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 7182584)
You can estimate the speed of a vehicle too. In fact, if you have some driving experience, the court will accept YOUR estimate of the speed of a vehicle that you have observed. I suspect that neither you nor I can estimate that a car is going 51 in a 50, but I'll bet that we can both know that a car going 65 is speeding in a 50 zone.

Still think it's bullshit?

Just that it gives some PO's the right to abuse it.

Which I've seen some do.

So Yeah. I do.

gars 11-12-2010 07:42 AM

What kind of car does the OP have? 82db is pretty loud at 2500 rpm.

danz 11-12-2010 08:35 AM

fml

s300ae 11-12-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7183158)
What kind of car does the OP have? 82db is pretty loud at 2500 rpm.

2001 IS300 with a dual dynomax muffler exhaust.
i measured 6ft away at 2500rpm, maxed out at 82db.
at idle, it is at 66 db

sebberry 11-12-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danz (Post 7183192)
what distance should the tester be when taking a DB reading? i thought it was 50 feet for some reason

I was unable to find proper testing procedures, so I assume they could stick the dB meter right up to the muffler and take the measurement there if they wanted.

sebberry 11-12-2010 03:26 PM

I can't stand excessive, unnecessary noise.

I can understand people who change the mufflers to get a different sound or to actually hear the car, but I don't understand the people who mount potato cannon mufflers to the back of their car that are so loud I can hear them shift their rusty CRX into third gear three blocks away. What's the point?