REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   Bruce Lee, My Brother (https://www.revscene.net/forums/630349-bruce-lee-my-brother.html)

SkinnyPupp 11-15-2010 06:33 PM

Bruce Lee, My Brother

A biopic about his early life, as told by his brother Robert Lee. It tells the story before he moved to USA..

It's a Hong Kong production, so hopefully they won't have completely raped his legacy like the mainlanders did with Ip Man.

Should watch this, and Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story right after :D

Apparently this is the first part of a trilogy! :drool:

Culture_Vulture 11-15-2010 07:40 PM

looks promising, can't seem to find any search results yet though

6793026 11-15-2010 09:00 PM

I'm heading back to HK in a few days, hopefully i'll catch this when I come back.

Detective Dee and also Legend of Fist were decent hit (except for the latter one) but we shall see.

bruce Lee My brother has a really really good cast so hopefully it'll be decent.

westcoastgsr 11-15-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7187816)
It's a Hong Kong production, so hopefully they won't have completely raped his legacy like the mainlanders did with Ip Man.

Should watch this, and Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story right after :D

Apparently this is the first part of a trilogy! :drool:

I hope so too!!! Can totally see the BS and China propaganda...then again it happens alot in Hollywood Productions too. Funny in Ip Man the ending made it sound like China defeated Japan..which is untrue.

SkinnyPupp 11-16-2010 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westcoastgsr (Post 7188223)
I hope so too!!! Can totally see the BS and China propaganda...then again it happens alot in Hollywood Productions too. Funny in Ip Man the ending made it sound like China defeated Japan..which is untrue.

exactly, and they said that he fled to Hong Kong to avoid the Japanese, which is bullshit. He was fleeing from the fucking PLA. If they got their hands on him, there definitely wouldn't be an Ip Man movie. Or a Bruce Lee for that matter.
Posted via RS Mobile

6793026 12-23-2010 03:29 PM

I wanted to give a full review on this movie. There are a lot of things that needs clarification and I have you warn you all on what the movie is all about BEFORE you go and watch it. Don't worry, there aren't any spoilers.

This is NOT AN ACTION movie. Please note, there won't be a fight scene for the 1st 1:30 hr of the movie, in fact, if you are watching it for the action, you're really going to give the movie a 1/10.

First of all, this movie was pretty much done very well on a certain aspect. For those who are true Bruce Lee fans and wants to know more about his family, his entire history, that was done really well. If some of you are in your early 30s, you would really appreciate the tiny details they put into this movie. Eg// TST ferry station and train station was exactly what it looks like back in the 1960s (with the help of digital editing) (yes, there was a train station there at TST). Bruce Lee kicking the bucket and a rat coming out, YES, that was in fact what happened back in the days. Bruce Lee grew up in the movie industry and all the classical characters were a great insight and it brought back a lot of memories (you must be 30+ years old to appreciate these classic opera characters).

The costume design, the acting by the all the actors were done really well. Bruce Lee, Nicholas Tse's sister (I'll call her Ting Ting cause that's her chinese name) did an OK job,. 劉浩龍 who was the dude that played the 'assistant' did a fantastic job, and so did 陳奐仁 (the dude with glasses)and 歐陽靖 (AKA MC Jin). It's interesting how there were a lot of young pop stars being starred in the movie.

There were only LIMITED fighting scenes and it was really really boring. There were in fact more cha cha scenes (yes, Bruce Lee was really good at cha cha) Clearly the director did NOT do a good job filming it and I didn't like it at all on the amount of screentime on the fighting. I think IP MEN really screwed up the industry on the future kung fu movies.

History, historical settings 9/10
Fighting scenes, 3/10
Characters and acting 8/10

racerman88 12-25-2010 12:27 PM

basically a documentary his family.

Fobman 12-25-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 7238727)
I wanted to give a full review on this movie. There are a lot of things that needs clarification and I have you warn you all on what the movie is all about BEFORE you go and watch it. Don't worry, there aren't any spoilers.

This is NOT AN ACTION movie. Please note, there won't be a fight scene for the 1st 1:30 hr of the movie, in fact, if you are watching it for the action, you're really going to give the movie a 1/10.

First of all, this movie was pretty much done very well on a certain aspect. For those who are true Bruce Lee fans and wants to know more about his family, his entire history, that was done really well. If some of you are in your early 30s, you would really appreciate the tiny details they put into this movie. Eg// TST ferry station and train station was exactly what it looks like back in the 1960s (with the help of digital editing) (yes, there was a train station there at TST). Bruce Lee kicking the bucket and a rat coming out, YES, that was in fact what happened back in the days. Bruce Lee grew up in the movie industry and all the classical characters were a great insight and it brought back a lot of memories (you must be 30+ years old to appreciate these classic opera characters).

The costume design, the acting by the all the actors were done really well. Bruce Lee, Nicholas Tse's sister (I'll call her Ting Ting cause that's her chinese name) did an OK job,. 劉浩龍 who was the dude that played the 'assistant' did a fantastic job, and so did 陳奐仁 (the dude with glasses)and 歐陽靖 (AKA MC Jin). It's interesting how there were a lot of young pop stars being starred in the movie.

There were only LIMITED fighting scenes and it was really really boring. There were in fact more cha cha scenes (yes, Bruce Lee was really good at cha cha) Clearly the director did NOT do a good job filming it and I didn't like it at all on the amount of screentime on the fighting. I think IP MEN really screwed up the industry on the future kung fu movies.

History, historical settings 9/10
Fighting scenes, 3/10
Characters and acting 8/10

where did u watch it ?

bestsoup 12-25-2010 10:38 PM

when you think of bruce lee you expect fighting not a documentary

Gary Oak 12-26-2010 09:56 PM

bruce lee reminds mee soo much of liu kang

Ulic Qel-Droma 12-26-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Oak (Post 7242213)
bruce lee reminds mee soo much of liu kang

uh, actually, liu kang came second. it's not hard to figure out who they referenced.

6793026 12-27-2010 07:14 PM

I watched it in HK
but I also have the DVD, yup, turns out you can buy it already... harsh gay..

Ch28 12-28-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 7243130)
I watched it in HK
but I also have the DVD, yup, turns out you can buy it already... harsh gay..

DVD in Vancouver or HK?

Ch28 01-12-2011 02:41 AM

Bruce.Lee.My.Brother.2010.BluRay.720p.DTS.2Audio.x 264-CHD

:bowdown:

cheapskate 01-15-2011 04:04 PM

Great movie! Awesome cinematography, good cast, good acting, very high quality sets, engaging. One of the best HK films to date!

Caution: If you have ADD and can only enjoy movies that have explosions every 5 minutes then this film is not for you.

StylinRed 01-15-2011 07:37 PM

great sets, cinematography, cast, acting sure

but the story my goodness... you'd have to be a very big fan of bruce lee to be able to sit through this

its very slow and imo needs a lot of editing because they basically try to tell everything... almost right down to him taking bathroom breaks (maybe they showed that too i found myself daydreaming quite a bit)

if you're a great fan of him you'll love it i suppose...

best hk film to date? thats going much too far even when considering most hk film has sucked for a long time (with the odd gems)

SkinnyPupp 01-15-2011 08:08 PM

best HK film since the 90's maybe. I'm waiting for the 1080p version

StylinRed 01-15-2011 11:29 PM

wtf..... Infernal Affairs was waaaaaaaaaaaay better loads of better films, Election.... Prince of Tears (edit: whoops thats a taiwan flick)

hell CJ7 was better than this

delusional :P

dont get me wrong they did a lot of great work and scored an A, imo for a lot of things but where they Failed for me (+ those i watched it with) was soo bad that it ruined all the good/hard work :)

Mr.Money 01-15-2011 11:38 PM

for people to know there's no English sub's.

StylinRed 01-15-2011 11:43 PM

i already deleted it but im pretty sure it had eng subs

the full blu-ray is also available it was actually available before any other rips oO which is weird to see

edit: yeah the .nfo file lists english subs for the 720p dual audio version

Mr.Money 01-15-2011 11:47 PM

^^ ahh,I bought the original DVD and it had no eng subs...blu-ray version has them.

Razor Ramon HG 01-15-2011 11:58 PM

There are subtitles for it.

All the versions on asiatorrents are either sub-softed or comes with SRT files.

AzNightmare 01-16-2011 03:59 AM

Looks like an interesting movie. Gonna check it out for sure!

Sky_2000 01-16-2011 06:47 PM

A must watch if your into HK cinema

FerrariEnzo 01-16-2011 06:48 PM

Just watched the 720p version.. Pretty good i must say...