REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
BMW 1M Coupe Engine Spec

Some detective work by a trusted source from BMW.

N54B30 = BMW's 1st generation direct injected, twin-turbocharged inline 6 petrol engine. 2007-2009 (135i,335i,535i,X6,Z4,335is,Z4is)

N55B30 = BMW's 2nd generation direct injected, single-turbocharged, twin-scroll inline 6 petrol engine. 2010- (135i,335i,535i,X6,X5,X3,Z4)

Basically, confirms that the 1M Coupe will have a N54 variant engine name N54B30TO putting out 340hp.

Also on the sheet reveals a 135is model in 2012, however with the same 306hp. Interestingly, it also uses the N54B30UO engine derived from the N54

Lastly, the most interesting part is the final entry under the list codenamed "M Pyrat" which stands for the 1M Coupe. Note the identical engine code, but special note "US" and a power rating of 451hp.

Yes, the N54B30 engine was both amazing (torque band/power band) and plagued with flaws (fuel pump recall) but it seems the N54 will live on even after the introduction of the N55. Just something to think about.

Advertisement
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Banned (BBM)

340hp, not too shabby.....in a small car like that
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
340hp, not too shabby.....in a small car like that
Try 451hp.

I don't see them actually putting that much power in the 1M though, US market or not. What would be the next M3's power then?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

if they designed the 1M nicer like the M3, with 451 hp, it will sell like hot cakes ! But why would they do that, right ! ? it's not designed to compete with M3.
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Total victory requires total destruction

N55's are having the fuel pump issues as well.

2007 BMW 335i (Jet Black)
2009 Subaru Forester (Obsidian Black Pearl)
2017 Sierra Elevation Z71 (Dark Slate Metallic)
SaviorSelf_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
340hp would sound about right.

n54 engine puts out 300hp, so being an M, it has to have a number greater than the 300 listed for the 35i designation.

current e90/92/93 m3 puts out what, 400hp? so being an M1 it has to be below M3 numbers. thus 340 would sound about right. euro spec w/ higher octane should get higher numbers... maybe even come out with a limited edition M1, with even higher boosted numbers.

what im curious about is what they gonna do with the chassis/suspension, especially just coming back from BMW school in chassis and suspension. are they gonna keep it simple, and race/sport like, or go technical with all the computer aid?

im curious to see what the new 6 will be like, especially if they come out with an M, which they pretty much have to!

and can you imagine if they brought back the 8? damn, it doesnt have to be an M, but just straight out bragging rights to compete against the merc

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
340hp would sound about right.

n54 engine puts out 300hp, so being an M, it has to have a number greater than the 300 listed for the 35i designation.

current e90/92/93 m3 puts out what, 400hp? so being an M1 it has to be below M3 numbers. thus 340 would sound about right. euro spec w/ higher octane should get higher numbers... maybe even come out with a limited edition M1, with even higher boosted numbers.

what im curious about is what they gonna do with the chassis/suspension, especially just coming back from BMW school in chassis and suspension. are they gonna keep it simple, and race/sport like, or go technical with all the computer aid?

im curious to see what the new 6 will be like, especially if they come out with an M, which they pretty much have to!

and can you imagine if they brought back the 8? damn, it doesnt have to be an M, but just straight out bragging rights to compete against the merc
From my understanding, the 1M borrows majority of chassis/suspension components from the current e9x M3's. So over a regular 135i, you get a much wider track, lsd, the m3 components, etc. How the engine is set-up( ie is it a n54 unit with larger turbos? Or just different mapping?) remains unseen. But even with ~70 less horsepower, you get a lot more torque, in a lighter car, so the 1M should hold its own against the M3 (although obviously not enough to outshine it's older brother and cannibalize sales).
Also, manual only
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Revscene Legend

Thanked 3,421 Times in 393 Posts
Maybe the 451hp one is the press car
dogeatcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:39 AM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
yeah. i see it from a marketing stand point.

having had the chance to work on the suspension of an e90x m3, it should be pretty nice if its transferred over to the 1M. shorter wheel base, lighter car, more ample torque, lsd, should rival a lot, if any, in the sports compact coupe segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
From my understanding, the 1M borrows majority of chassis/suspension components from the current e9x M3's. So over a regular 135i, you get a much wider track, lsd, the m3 components, etc. How the engine is set-up( ie is it a n54 unit with larger turbos? Or just different mapping?) remains unseen. But even with ~70 less horsepower, you get a lot more torque, in a lighter car, so the 1M should hold its own against the M3 (although obviously not enough to outshine it's older brother and cannibalize sales).
Also, manual only

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
hot rod waggin'

Doubtful it's 451hp, it's probably a typo.

The US version likely has 332 SAE net hp, which is close to the 250kW listed for the Euro version. The SAE test method differs from the Euro or DIN standard slightly, mainly more accessories are put on the engine before testing.

So it's logical the direct conversion of 250kw = 340 metric hp is 332 SAE net hp.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I wonder if it's possible to get one for $50K..
I was set on importing a TT-S replace both of my cars... Hmmm...

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote