REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 11-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Metric only socket set

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows of any decent place where I can get a decent quality (Husky, Craftsman, or Motomaster at the minimum) Metric-only socket set, hopefully for cheap. Hopefully there's a sale somewhere.

I'm looking for a set of sockets that goes up to around 18mm. Kits that include a ratchet / adapters / extensions would be nice, but aren't required as I already have these items.

The problem I see with most sets is that they come in both SAE and Metric. There's no point in me buying a 100pc set if I know I will never use 50 of those bits.

The other problem is that most other sets I see don't go past 16mm.

Thanks!
Advertisement
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Most will comes in both metric and sae. I just bought a husky 151 pc tool kit for $59 at home depot. Wasn't too pricey so it doesnt matter to me if I wont use half of those pieces. I mean, buying separate sockets/ratchets will probably cost you MORE than a kit.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Keep checking Crappy tire, they have sales on sockets weekly. Sometimes buying an entire set will be cheaper. Else you can just buy a set of sockets only when they go on sale. I got a set of 1/2" drive deep sockets only for $15 from crappy tire a few weeks ago.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
The point is manufacturing efficiency.

You can always get sockets one by one and places like SnapOn, KMS etc will sell it to you... but in the end it will cost more than buying a set.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Why not get a set of Toptul sockets
Peter-BFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #6

So Toptul sells metric only kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-BFB View Post
Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-BFB View Post
Do you have metric-only sets? If so, please PM me a quote, thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #8

Sears.com does sell metric only sets "http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...c&viewItems=24"

They ship to Canada.. I just got some 12point from them. 12mm - 32mm takes 3 sets and it is about $100 in total. They are on average $10 off for each set, so 30% off.

I think if you are getting the usual 6pts, you are paying a bit cheaper but getting a complete metric + sae sets which are always on sale is still a better deal and probably cheaper. eg The Mastercraft Maximum is $100ish for both SAE and Metric while one sale. I suggest if you really don't want the SAE ones just sell them on CL.

Last edited by godwin; 12-02-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

^ Thanks, but I need something going up to 19mm.

Yeah I'm hoping to just buy a kit that isn't 2x as big as it needs to be.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Sears (Canada..) had a sale last weekend, not sure if it's still going, but all their socket sets (sockets only, no ratchets, extensions, wrenches, etc..) were 60% off. They have metric only or SAE only sets, you'll probably need 2 sets to cover the range you need, but it ended up like 10-15 per set if I remember right!
unxetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #11

hmmm they are having them on sale at the same price as Sears.com until January 2. http://www.sears.ca/catalog/sockets-...0/P_Name|0/100

However do note, the Craftsman sockets that Sears Canada and US carry are different! eg the ones in the US are laser etched with easy read. The US rail holders are plastic so it won't scratch your tool chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unxetas View Post
Sears (Canada..) had a sale last weekend, not sure if it's still going, but all their socket sets (sockets only, no ratchets, extensions, wrenches, etc..) were 60% off. They have metric only or SAE only sets, you'll probably need 2 sets to cover the range you need, but it ended up like 10-15 per set if I remember right!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
However do note, the Craftsman sockets that Sears Canada and US carry are different! eg the ones in the US are laser etched with easy read. The US rail holders are plastic so it won't scratch your tool chest.
I hope the metal clip/rails that we get isn't a deal breaker for the OP, it's a tool chest, it's only real purpose should be for storing and organizing tools, you should see how banged up and scratched mine's gotten over the years

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #13

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

There's a set that is *very* close to what I'm looking for, but it's missing 2-3 bits that I need. The ratchet is crazy sweet though. It has a flex head AND the handle can be extended.

For the record, I don't care what the rails are made of. I just want a good way of storing them so that I don't lose bits everywhere.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #14

Found the following Craftsman products on sale @ Sears:

10-19mm 6-sided socket set $13
280mm flex head 3/8' ratchet $14

I had no idea Sears had a sale, it wasn't advertised I was expecting it to be around $45 based on the stickers.

Just a heads up to everyone!