REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Shipping A Vehicle Across Canada

Does anyone have any experience with Hansens? I heard good things about them in a previous thread on RS but I wanted to get some more opinions.

Anyone know if they'll drop the vehicle off at a pickup location, or if it has to be at your place? Anyone know if you have to be there to sign for the vehicle?
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I used searail to send my 245 to Montreal. I have a feeling a company is going to charge you exponentially more to pick up and deliver your car.

And you probably have to be there to sign for the car... Wouldn't make sense if you didn't.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I used Hansens to ship from BC to Ontario. They have drop-off and pick-up locations in various cities across the country so you can choose to pick it up from their storage centre. That's assuming there's terminal close to where you are. It's also actually cheaper if they don't have to pick up and/or drop off your car at a specific location. You should e-mail them to see if there's a storage centre near your ultimate destination.

Oh, make sure you car has at least 4 inches of clearance. They won't ship it if it's lower. Also note that no personal items can be shipped with the vehicle.

FYI, I'm not sure about signing upon receipt but I can tell you that I wasn't there to sign when they picked up my car. My sister signed the inspection form when they picked up my car. I assume as long as you authorize someone to sign for your vehicle at the destination, it would be ok. However, you should be there since you would have a better idea of what damage was pre-existing and what's new.
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

don't use searail

i used searail to ship my car from vancouver to toronto in april.
there some delays (although it may be CN's fault) but regardless, it was later that the suggested arrival date.

also, they managed to do this to my bumper:

all vehicles shipped through searail are covered under their insurance.

BUT there's a 300 deductible so i didn't bother with going through their insurance. it was a 20 minute fix but still a pain in the ass

my car was covered with dust and dirt (from sitting in the lot and dust from the train in the rail cars)

i was thinking of choosing hansen but searail was BIT cheaper.
i've heard nothing but good things about hansen so i would choose hansen.

just don't use searail.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #5

^^^Car looks lowered. My car also had the front spoiler pulled a bit, but due to the superior design of my vehicle it was mended within moments. And dust and dirt? Is the world really over?

As for the delay, that sucks. Mine arrived on time and perfect, shitty for you.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
^^^Car looks lowered. My car also had the front spoiler pulled a bit, but due to the superior design of my vehicle it was mended within moments. And dust and dirt? Is the world really over?

As for the delay, that sucks. Mine arrived on time and perfect, shitty for you.
nope. car was not lowered at all.

haha yeah you are right. dust and dirt is not the end of the world now that i think about it .

but i guess i was bit upset due to my bumper being all fuxored.

i'm sure if you saw your car with a fucked up bumper and all dirty, it won't feel TOO nice.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #7

It was fine when I sent it off, the guy who got it was the one who got the pulled spoiler. Not my problem after I dropped it off haha.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ITR View Post
I used Hansens to ship from BC to Ontario. They have drop-off and pick-up locations in various cities across the country so you can choose to pick it up from their storage centre. That's assuming there's terminal close to where you are. It's also actually cheaper if they don't have to pick up and/or drop off your car at a specific location. You should e-mail them to see if there's a storage centre near your ultimate destination.

Oh, make sure you car has at least 4 inches of clearance. They won't ship it if it's lower. Also note that no personal items can be shipped with the vehicle.

FYI, I'm not sure about signing upon receipt but I can tell you that I wasn't there to sign when they picked up my car. My sister signed the inspection form when they picked up my car. I assume as long as you authorize someone to sign for your vehicle at the destination, it would be ok. However, you should be there since you would have a better idea of what damage was pre-existing and what's new.
So if they shipped to the storage centre then u could go claim it anyday afterwards right? You don't have to arrive there on the same day?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
RabidMod

Shit justn86 that sucks to hear. I definitely won't try Searail then lol. Maybe if my car was built like a beast like Gab's it'd be fine though =p.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
I shipped a few coupes using Searail back and forth between Vancouver and Toronto over last few years.. A few months ago I needed to ship my coupe back from Toronto again and Hansens was a few hundred cheaper, total cost me $1260. Searail wanted $1670, and not to mention would NOT guarantee safety of any items inside the car also givin me a very hard time because I have only about 4 inches of ground clearance. I won't ever be using Searail again, they cost too much and complicate shit way overboard. Hansens was simple upfront and cheaper as well, keep in mind that's terminal to terminal, meaning I had someone drive it to hansens terminal in Toronto and I picked it up from their terminal at Annacis island myself when it got here, much safer that way IMO because you see the person load your car onto the train at the terminal with your own eyes, and once it's loaded it doesn't move.
Posted via RS Mobile
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #11

They told me I could put whatever I wanted in the car, but that it wouldn't make it to the other side haha. So I hid the laptop under the seat and the lady told me "good luck". Made it fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
So if they shipped to the storage centre then u could go claim it anyday afterwards right? You don't have to arrive there on the same day?
Storage fees if it's there for a while?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
I shipped a few coupes using Searail back and forth between Vancouver and Toronto over last few years.. A few months ago I needed to ship my coupe back from Toronto again and Hansens was a few hundred cheaper, total cost me $1260. Searail wanted $1670, and not to mention would NOT guarantee safety of any items inside the car also givin me a very hard time because I have only about 4 inches of ground clearance. I won't ever be using Searail again, they cost too much and complicate shit way overboard. Hansens was simple upfront and cheaper as well, keep in mind that's terminal to terminal, meaning I had someone drive it to hansens terminal in Toronto and I picked it up from their terminal at Annacis island myself when it got here, much safer that way IMO because you see the person load your car onto the train at the terminal with your own eyes, and once it's loaded it doesn't move.
Posted via RS Mobile
Do you happen to recall where it was in Toronto that their terminal is? Anywhere near the airport?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #13

the searail location is really inconvenient without a car

it's not near the airport at all

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,0.362892&z=12

easy to get there by car but hard by taking transit

good luck
Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Yes, within reason. A storage fee would probably apply. Is there a specific reason why you can't time it so that you'll be in Toronto when your vehicle arrives? BTW... It took over two weeks door to door and the train leaves from Vancouver every Tuesday.
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #15
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ITR View Post
Yes, within reason. A storage fee would probably apply. Is there a specific reason why you can't time it so that you'll be in Toronto when your vehicle arrives? BTW... It took over two weeks door to door and the train leaves from Vancouver every Tuesday.
Yeah my flight's already booked for Jan 2, but almost every quote I've gotten from various vendors has said "shipping time ranges from 2-3 weeks for vancouver to toronto". I can't change my flight last minute to fly there the day they call me to say my car has arrived, it isn't an option. So all I can do is ship 3 weeks in advance right?
Posted via RS Mobile
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #16
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

I shipped my Porsche from Vancouver to Toronto using TFX International. Their terminal is located right by Pearson airport. Great service. They are the authorized movers for Ferrari and use NASCAR style lifts and air suspension so it won't put any undue stress on your car's suspension. I've shipped my car cross country with them 3 times and their service is impeccable. They will allow you to keep personal items that fit in the trunk of your car. They are a little pricey, but if you have a nice car, well worth it.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #17

^^I would never ship a car by rail. Many import cars are not designed to be shipped by rail and stuff like engine mounts can break during routine freight transport by rail.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #18
RabidMod

So I just booked transportation with Hansen's. They were about $130 more than everyone else but they said this included $0 deductible for any insurance claims, and they threw in pickup and dropoff service after I haggled with them a little. And anyway I didn't really want to chance it with Searail or any of the nonamers after the horror stories you guys have told haha. Well, that and the lady on the phone was jizzing her pants over my car so you know she'd take care of it =D.

edit: useful notes:
-pickup at the Vancouver terminal is weekly (Tuesdays), so the closest they could get me to Jan2 was Dec24-28
-storage at the terminal with Hansen's is free for up to two weeks, so it doesn't matter when you get there to pick it up really

Marco: That's good to know, thanks. In the future if I'm shipping a nicer vehicle I'll definitely go that route.

Anyway I'll let you guys know how Hansen's turns out - thanks for the help!

Last edited by RabidRat; 11-30-2010 at 06:12 AM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
^^I would never ship a car by rail. Many import cars are not designed to be shipped by rail and stuff like engine mounts can break during routine freight transport by rail.
Huh? How?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #20
RabidMod

Just FYI for everyone in case you were curious.

Vancouver to Toronto

Searail: $1096.96 (terminal to terminal service; no items in vehicle; shipped by train for this price, though by truck is an extra cost option)
Hansen's: $1230.73 (door to door service was negotiated as part of price; no items in vehicle; shipped by train for this price, though by truck is an extra cost option)
TFX International: $1764.00 (door to door service included; CAN store items in the vehicle, up to 200lbs; shipped by truck on air suspension)
Old 12-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Huh? How?
When they hook the box cars up to the train there can be quite a significant impact. Engine mounts are designed to break under a certain g-load for crash safety.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 AM   #22

You know Hansen's will just outsource it to Searail, right?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #23
RabidMod

Quote:
You know Hansen's will just outsource it to Searail, right?
Have you heard of this happening?
Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 AM   #24

Quote:
When they hook the box cars up to the train there can be quite a significant impact. Engine mounts are designed to break under a certain g-load for crash safety.
Just upon initial hookup? I highly doubt the "bang" is going to reach the point of engine mounts breaking. I don't see it being any different then everyday driving where you hit a pothole, brake hard, slide a corner and gain traction in a rouch manner. Do you have any proof of this happening?:S
Old 12-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Yeah... neither would the manufacturers...

Oh wait! They're ALL sent by rail! In fact... a whole lot of imports come into Vancouver, get loaded onto rail cars, then get shipped all over North America.

And every single one has a bunch of broken shit on it...