REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Harvard Business Review or the Economist?

Want to subscribe to a business magazine, but not entirely sure which one. I've heard good things about both these mags, and I'm aware that my boss reads Harvard Business Review (well not my direct boss, but I digress) so I suppose it would be good purely for chatting reasons. But obviously that's not my main focus.

Any other business mags y'all recommend? Cheers.
Advertisement
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
HBR - it's good cuz not only does it have academic articles, it also has real world ones. the economist from what i've heard is just babble.

MIT Sloan review... looks cool too. never heard anyone mention it though.. but its MIT =)

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
the economist from what i've heard is just babble.
I subscribed to the Economist for a year and I would not say that it's just babble. However, the title is a misnomer - it's more of a current affairs magazine than one focused strictly on business issues.

To the OP: If you're looking for a different spin and analysis on current affairs and business, then pick up the Economist; otherwise, I would stay clear.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

In my opinion you can't compare the two. Both are classified as business magazines but after reading them I think the differences become very clear. As Tapioca mentioned, the Economist is good for current affairs, politics and news discussion. HBR on the otherhand is MBA-like, topics and articles are geared towards leadership and management strategy/strategic ideas. I don't think I am describing this well, and I have to say I am bias as I subscribe to HBR. I recommend visiting Chapters and reading both as I think it will be more clear which one you'll like or maybe both. If price is a factor HBR is expensive, where there is usually a discount on the Economist.
SimplyTwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

The economist is also a british publication, so it tends to be biased IMO.

Have you also considered the Wall Street Journal?
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTwisted View Post
In my opinion you can't compare the two. Both are classified as business magazines but after reading them I think the differences become very clear. As Tapioca mentioned, the Economist is good for current affairs, politics and news discussion. HBR on the otherhand is MBA-like, topics and articles are geared towards leadership and management strategy/strategic ideas. I don't think I am describing this well, and I have to say I am bias as I subscribe to HBR. I recommend visiting Chapters and reading both as I think it will be more clear which one you'll like or maybe both. If price is a factor HBR is expensive, where there is usually a discount on the Economist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_clue View Post

Well there are obviously a lot of business magazines out there, and from the research I've done, namely website recommendations, I sorta have a sense of what they are to begin with, so I thank everybody here for helping me out. I am only leaning towards HBR because it's more "leadership" based, as I'm in a management trainee program currently and I'd like to "learn" something outside work. For me, either subscriptions is gonna be bloody exp cuz I work in HK right now, so 12 issues for HBR = 52 issues of Economist. And they're both around a grand HKD

As for WSJ....I read their website regularly, so in essence I would like to read something else to be get a broader scope!
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_clue View Post

The journal is pretty right-leaning as far as I am concerned.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
Well there are obviously a lot of business magazines out there, and from the research I've done, namely website recommendations, I sorta have a sense of what they are to begin with, so I thank everybody here for helping me out. I am only leaning towards HBR because it's more "leadership" based, as I'm in a management trainee program currently and I'd like to "learn" something outside work. For me, either subscriptions is gonna be bloody exp cuz I work in HK right now, so 12 issues for HBR = 52 issues of Economist. And they're both around a grand HKD

As for WSJ....I read their website regularly, so in essence I would like to read something else to be get a broader scope!

If you search online you can find a lot of high quality PDF scans of these magazines.
mrks is offline   Reply With Quote