REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #576
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Hmmm, funny enough I just got an email saying that there was a change to the status of my application, so I logged in and all I got is a message stating that my application has been approved and that I can use the card as soon as I receive and activate it ... There isn't anything in the website that asks for me to book an interview so I'm assuming I'll be getting a new card in a week or 2, I guess they'll be using the same horrible picture from 5 years ago ...

I double checked to make sure I don't have to book an interview, there isn't a spot anywhere that asks me to do it (its been 5 years since I last saw this page so I don't remember what exactly I'm looking for) ... but it seems like I'm all set ... I guess I'm just lucky and my information didn't change drastically enough to require another interview ...
I think the renewal interviews are random.

My friend and I got our cards at the same time and I got called in for an interview and he did not. I asked the agents why I got called in (I've moved and I've changed jobs), but they don't have an explanation. My friend changed jobs but didn't move, so not sure if it's the address change.
Advertisement
the_law82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #577
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I thought it was any change to your file (work, passport update, address change), but an address change is pretty big. That's probably why.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #578
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Yeah it's weird. For a trusted traveller program, you'd think they'd put a premium on images.

Mine is taken on an angle from below my face. Totally F'd up.
My photo was taken at an odd angle and with no warning, too. Barely glanced over to my left before the trigger was pressed.

I suspect that it isn't imperative to get a dead-on shot because they appear to apply some skewing algorithm to distort the photograph anyways.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:46 AM   #579
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Not a good weekend for Nexus...decided to head to the outlets on Saturday, there was a 30 minute wait before I left so felt good about cruising through the Nexus lane. Hit the border, go in the Nexus lane and bang there's a line up. Turned out some guys car broke down in the Nexus lane, took almost 25 minutes for someone to move the cones so the traffic could exit the lane. Felt bad for the guy because people seem pretty pissed about.

Coming back it took another 20 minutes because some guy hit rear ended another driver so again the lane was held up until that BS got sorted. Finally got up to the officers who seem very pissed about something, sent me in to pay taxes on a $150 jacket.

Only good part was it was a blast driving down on such a beautiful day and there was barely any traffic and the outlets weren't that busy.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #580
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

^ Damn! Both directions had car problems... Dude must have been pissed, I've never been asked to pay taxes on such a small amount.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #581

Same here, I've declared more and I've gone through. Wasn't a biggie but just a hassle to go in and wait in line for such a small amount. And a couple other cars also got sent in so the dude was having a major bitch attack lol.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #582
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Do they still take those declaration forms? I usually fill them out if I'm bringing back >$400 per day trip so at least I can save time and not have to go to line up at the cashier.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #583

Forms no longer required, optional. You can do verbal declaration at the booth.

I've never used the form, from your experience were you charged duty? Not taxes but categorized import duty?

... At the Blaine crossing they just charge PST & GST on most items, they probably don't have the time to inspect the original and composition of each item being imported. In my experience on imports from $300 to $10k I have only been charged taxes.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #584
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
^
I believe it's a PDF you can print out from their website. I'm not sure if they still accept the traveller declaration cards anymore. (I may be wrong since I haven't used it in ages.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #585

I just got my Nexus this year and during the interview, they said I always have to have the forms filled out, even though folks here have said they are allowed to verbally declared.
So my first few trips, I always had filled out forms with me, though was never asked to submit them.

However, whenever I bring back 1 item > $400, I always fill out the form just in case. Once I had to wait inside for 20-30mins for the cashier because there was a line up and the guy in front was opening up boxes to find receipts and the cashier was looking through papers/binders to see what duty and tax to charge. If they're going to charge me, then at least I don't have to wait in the cashier line.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #586

I've only been charged gst + pst when I've declared high ticket items like wheels, tires, etc...

And the biggest pet peeve for me is customs charging taxes on the total price so you're basically paying taxes twice. I brought this up with the cashier guy and he said it's the biggest complaint he hears and he said even he would like this rule changed because it's not fair. And I might be mistaken but didn't WA have a tax break for Canadian's a few years ago?
Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #587

I've heard stories of people being charged the full duty plus gst&pst at the point Roberts crossing. Maybe it happens elsewhere if the person crossing is a dick or a liar. When crossing customs at the airport I've only ever payed taxes, never duty. Different story with receiving packages, everything clearing customs by canada post or any courier I get dinged both, ie 20% duty plus 12% taxes.

I agree, you shouldn't be paying taxes on taxes or shipping, should only be on the item. I've been waved through so many times and have saved so much in taxes, also I have paid a lot as I shop state side quite frequently. I'm always honest, never hiding stuff or lying. When I get asked to go inside it's always straight to the cashier, not a customs officer, no car search or item search, just to totalling the receipts paying and leaving.

I know that Foreigners can mail in an application to get a gst refund on items purchased when visiting canada. I wonder if this also applies to Americans? I believe Alberta has a deal with Washington where both parties get to shop taxe free.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #588
FB6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
I've heard stories of people being charged the full duty plus gst&pst at the point Roberts crossing. Maybe it happens elsewhere if the person crossing is a dick or a liar. When crossing customs at the airport I've only ever payed taxes, never duty. Different story with receiving packages, everything clearing customs by canada post or any courier I get dinged both, ie 20% duty plus 12% taxes.

I agree, you shouldn't be paying taxes on taxes or shipping, should only be on the item. I've been waved through so many times and have saved so much in taxes, also I have paid a lot as I shop state side quite frequently. I'm always honest, never hiding stuff or lying. When I get asked to go inside it's always straight to the cashier, not a customs officer, no car search or item search, just to totalling the receipts paying and leaving.

I know that Foreigners can mail in an application to get a gst refund on items purchased when visiting canada. I wonder if this also applies to Americans? I believe Alberta has a deal with Washington where both parties get to shop taxe free.
I got asked to go inside to the cashier once but the cashier wasn't there and the officer waved me to his desk, got my car searched because of that, I wasn't hiding anything though but just annoying, I had to pay 12% tax on the total price.
FB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #589

For the Peace Arch going into the states, if the Nexus lane is all the way back to the duty free shop, how long of a wait is that?

At what point is it faster to use the regular lanes?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #590
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
For the Peace Arch going into the states, if the Nexus lane is all the way back to the duty free shop, how long of a wait is that?

At what point is it faster to use the regular lanes?
Usually less than 25 minutes, it still moves faster than the regular lane and that's all that matters
Old 07-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #591
Jet
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Got my new nexus pass in the mail yesterday ... since I didn't have to go in this time, they used my old picture (which is so horrible) ... it took almost 2 months from applying for a renewal to actually getting the card in hand (without an interview) ... FYI for anyone renewing but the sooner the better and they let you apply for renewal with 1 year left on the current card ...
Old 08-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #592
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Has anyone done the Nexus interview at Blaine?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #593

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
Has anyone done the Nexus interview at Blaine?
I went there for my interview the first time. The interview wait was much shorter than YVR or the Main st. one.

You cross the border then turn right onto D st. and its around the corner.

I have to go back there again in a couple weeks for my renewing my nexus.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #594
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^I also did my interview at the Blaine location.

Agree on the shorter wait time. Roughly i waited a 2 weeks from the point I got my condition of approval to getting a interview date (I checked on a daily basis for earlier dates that have been dropped)
ApePee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #595
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
I've been noticing the shorter wait time at Blaine too so wanted to see if Canadians can do interviews there as well.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #596

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
I've been noticing the shorter wait time at Blaine too so wanted to see if Canadians can do interviews there as well.

I just found a last minute open slot at Blaine yesterday and I snagged it right away. Keep checking, there will be open slots available at the Blaine location.

Just remember to factor in crossing the border wait times as you still have to go through the regular line up when you enter US and enter back into Canada after. Luckily my interview time was early and I got to the border with the only a 20mins wait time at the Pacific crossing.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #597
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

My nexus interview is coming up soon and from what I hear, they will ask if you have done drugs. The last time I smoked pot was 2 years ago but I read that if you answer yes, they will fail you. Is this true? Has anyone answered yes and still received their nexus?
moldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:22 PM   #598
Not a mod

^ LOL
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #599
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldex View Post
My nexus interview is coming up soon and from what I hear, they will ask if you have done drugs. The last time I smoked pot was 2 years ago but I read that if you answer yes, they will fail you. Is this true? Has anyone answered yes and still received their nexus?
Straight up told them I smoke pot on a daily basis and my Nexus card still arrived 1 week later.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #600
I am Hook'd on RS

Originally got scheduled for December, checked the site daily. Then got moved up to October, and now September.
CrispyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote