REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #26
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
My experience with a fine or jail situation in the past is that a significant number chose the jail over the cash when they know that checking into jail at 11pm and then checking out at 6am the next morning gets them credit for 2 days. A few hours lying in a cell sleeping or reading instead of paying fines makers sense if you don't want to pay. Most local cells are not the black hole of Calcutta and in most cases you get meals free as well. I have slept in hostels way worse than local jail cells and paid to do so....with no free meals.
I didn't say 2 days, I said 24 hours. Immediate roadside arrest, not "check in when you want". You could lock up half the people driving into work in one morning. I'm sure Ontario still has some G20 prison camp fencing left over that can be used. It would get the dangerous drivers off the road and stop the vast majority of collision-related deaths.

Most people would rather get the ticket and be on their way to go to the shop, work, home.. than be dragged out of their car at gunpoint, handcuffed and caged.

I give it about a week. One week of sweeping speed-arrests and imprisonment before you get at least 95% compliance. Repeat offenders receive twice as long as they previously served.

If you're so adament that speed kills, then why not back my plan? Let's get rid of all the fines, penalty points, penalty point premiums, insurance rate hikes and cut straight to the point. Much like the new drink-driving laws you'd save on vast amounts of time in the courts and deal with the problem immediately and move on.
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #27
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Geez this thread went way off topic hehe. But since it did, here's a little something something. I'm from Portugal, where driving falls mostly within the "go with the flow" criteria. Major highways are usually 3 lanes in each direction, the pavement is (compared to Canada at least!) in great shape and you'd be hard pressed to find safer conditions. It hardly ever rains, cars undergo strict safety inspections every couple years, etc. Still, Portugal had until very recently the worst traffic related death statistics in Europe, and wasn't very far from a lot of African countries that have far worse conditions to contend with.

I agree that going with the flow can be safer, up to a point. The speed limit is a good point, maybe 10km/h over. But just because you want to drive at 140 on the highway, doesn't mean everyone else should go with YOUR flow. Back home, the highway speed limit is 120km/h. Most people treat it as the minimum you should be doing on the right lane.. I am definitely NOT bragging here, but going with the flow in Portugal means you'll quickly be doing 170+ to stay on the left lane without being hit from behind by another idiot in some Citroen shitbox doing 200km/h. And of course we all think it's perfectly safe and we're just "going with the flow" until something happens and it stops being safe all that much faster. The 3.5 average deaths per day (in a 10 million population) should be enough proof that going with the flow might not be the greatest road safety idea ever (by my rough calculations, it means that if you drive for 10 years, there's a 1% chance you'll die in a car crash. Or put another way, every 10 years, someone closely related to you will die in a traffic accident, which by my experience living in Portugal for over 20 years, is about right).
unxetas is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #28
I am grateful grapefruit

I know exactly what it's like to drive in Portugal... hahaha. Me and some friends went to Faro and rented 2 cars for a week. Drove up to Lisbon, and man, do the people drive fast. I was doing 160 most of the time going up there. I guess I was lucky and it was in the middle of the day in the sun. I can't imagine what it would be like driving in the rain or at night.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #29
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

About the same.. Just with less grip and less visibility!
unxetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #30
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Most local cells are not the black hole of Calcutta and in most cases you get meals free as well. I have slept in hostels way worse than local jail cells and paid to do so....with no free meals.
Sigged LOL
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #31
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
[QUOTE=unxetas;7222557]Geez this thread went way off topic hehe.

You know if we had either those naked x-ray scanners or the full body patdowns here on RS we would have fewer thread hijackings!!!!!!!
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #32
I subscribe to Revscene

[quote=zulutango;7223085]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unxetas View Post
Geez this thread went way off topic hehe.

You know if we had either those naked x-ray scanners or the full body patdowns here on RS we would have fewer thread hijackings!!!!!!!
Are you saying you'd rather feel me up while patting me down
I could just post here asking about how to get out of drunk-driving charges.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #33
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I'm sure that If that is what you are looking for there would be a craigslist website to fulfill that desire.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote