REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Sanpachi Ramen ? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/632134-sanpachi-ramen.html)

Onassis 12-06-2010 04:24 PM

Sanpachi Ramen ?

Saw a new ramen shop called Sanpachi on Bute, anyone try it out yet ?

Sanpachi
770 Bute Street

BlacknJean 12-06-2010 04:25 PM

not good. shops still pretty new. a lot of stuff still missing.

best ramen in vancouver is santouka.

JSilver 12-06-2010 08:28 PM

Santouka is the worst... next to Benkai.

yuusha 12-06-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSilver (Post 7217431)
Santouka is the worst... next to Benkai.

Your opinion is invalid. Santouka has great ramen and the best chashu in town.
Posted via RS Mobile

JSilver 12-06-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuusha (Post 7217462)
Your opinion is invalid. Santouka has great ramen and the best chashu in town.
Posted via RS Mobile

:rofl:

keifun 12-06-2010 10:02 PM

I think Santouka is over-rated. Is that invalid too?:rolleyes:

muteki 12-06-2010 11:16 PM

Nothing special.

yuusha 12-07-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keifun (Post 7217589)
I think Santouka is over-rated. Is that invalid too?:rolleyes:

If neither of you two can come up with something to support your claims then yes. (I can use smilies too ;))

hamsup 12-07-2010 06:54 AM

I haven't tried it yet.. but will try to make it out this weekend (weather dependant.. lol)

I still think Santouka is the best ramen shop in Vancouver so far...

Expresso 12-07-2010 07:56 AM

^ Same. +1 for Santouka.

I find majority of the Denman area places pretty on par. I would say Santouka is just a step above.

JSilver 12-07-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuusha (Post 7217810)
If neither of you two can come up with something to support your claims then yes. (I can use smilies too ;))

It just doesn't taste all that great. No "wow" factor in taste nor presentation.

Motomochi and Kintaro are one of the best, IMO. (Then again, opinions are invalid apparently? :rolleyes:)

When Santouka first opened there use to be line-ups (First week or two). Now that everyone has discovered there's nothing great about it I see no one lining up and not many customers throughout the day.

Dinehere.com even has mixed reviews about it.

IMHO.

bcrdukes 12-07-2010 08:36 AM

LOL @ Dinehere reviews. :lol

unit 12-07-2010 09:10 AM

i stopped listening to dinehere reviews after i read a review about a sushi restaurant that said that the chicken teriyaki and dynamite rolls were the best ever.

JSilver 12-07-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7217982)
LOL @ Dinehere reviews. :lol

;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7218004)
i stopped listening to dinehere reviews after i read a review about a sushi restaurant that said that the chicken teriyaki and dynamite rolls were the best ever.

Can't believe everything everyone says right. Dinehere.com isn't the only site I use to reviews restaurants. I come here as well, other sites, and word of mouth from friends. Some people who do post to review on Dinehere.com are extremely exaggerated at times but those ones are easy to point out and can easily be ignored.

bcrdukes 12-07-2010 09:33 AM

JSilver, you made my day. Have you considered a career in comedy? :lol :D

JSilver 12-07-2010 09:37 AM

Nope. :thumbsup:

NNT 12-07-2010 11:48 AM

Santouka still the best. Sanpachi got nothing special except their Miso ramen worth a try.

AWDTurboLuvr 12-07-2010 11:58 AM

I had their cha-siu Miso ramen with extra bamboo and egg the other night. It was okay, broth wasn't super rich, tons of bamboo which was a plus. Noodles were decent and the right amount of chewiness. The egg wasn't cut in half, which is a negative and the cha-siu was cold from the fridge. I understand for obvious reasons it needs to be in the fridge but wouldn't mind it warmed up a bit before serving.

Motomachi is the best for miso and black miso ramen for me.

Okami 12-07-2010 12:55 PM

i 3rd the notion that santouka is nothing special.. for the price.. you get much less than the other ramen shops in the area.. the noodles are are probably the worst noodles you can get from the main big ramen places.. the regular meat is fine.. no beef with that (:P).. but that fatty cheek stuff is neither worth the place or tasty..

soup wise i am a miso person.. the miso soup is one of the best in vancouver (kintaro being best sometimes (but sometimes the soup is either not flavourful enough.. or its yummy but not hot.. ) ive been eating at kintaro since like 2004 and recently i havent got a good bowl (yummy and hot)..

for noodles i actually like benkei .. they are also the cheapest too

i went through a shio phase.. santouka was disgusting.. it for one wasnt hot.. and it had this strange sweet taste to it.. not a nice creamy pork bone taste.. benkei has flavorless and kintaro is too salty.. i think a good one for shio is g-men in the night.. it has that fatty pork soup that leaves a film of fat on your lips after you're done..

and compared to the ones in japan (the ones we have here arent very similar.. the ones in japan are pretty simple but they are flavorful and rich..

if anyone ever gets a chance to go to japan or new york try a place called Hakata Ippudo they have a miso soup broth with garlic oil in it and the meat was friggin amazing (kinda smoked, but juicy and flavorful)..

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kTx50u4Dnj0/SS...0/DSC_1108.JPG

Anakin 12-07-2010 03:46 PM

santouka's servings are too small and the noodles come out of a package, it's also a rather large international chain

kintaro is by far the most authentic, haven't been to motomachi yet though, i'm sure these are going to be #1 and #2 no matter which way it gets spun

Expresso 12-07-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anakin (Post 7218507)
santouka's servings are too small and the noodles come out of a package, it's also a rather large international chain

kintaro is by far the most authentic, haven't been to motomachi yet though, i'm sure these are going to be #1 and #2 no matter which way it gets spun

Who actually makes their own noodles in house these days anyways?

bcrdukes 12-07-2010 07:28 PM

No business would be sustainable if they made their noodles from scratch.

Okami 12-07-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anakin (Post 7218507)
kintaro is by far the most authentic

compared to..?

JSilver 12-07-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7218833)
No business would be sustainable if they made their noodles from scratch.

Legendary Noodle...

bcrdukes 12-07-2010 10:42 PM

Legendary Noodle serves more than just noodles so it works for them. Ramen houses are a volume business and they cannot afford to make their noodles in-house from scratch. What else do they serve other than ramen? Just ramen. And different iterations of it.