REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Illegal muffler tip size? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/632327-illegal-muffler-tip-size.html)

Limitless 12-08-2010 09:02 PM

Illegal muffler tip size?

So I was googling something and ended up finding this..
http://www.vancouvercivics.com/forum....php?tid=79468

The first post is a b*tch to read, but along with the replies they're saying that it's illegal to have muffler tips that are not stock or cannot be bought in dealerships? Is this true? I've seen billions of people with modified exhausts so this comes as a huge surprise to me. I've also wanted to buy a muffler tip to weld or bolt onto my own but after reading this I'm not too sure :rolleyes:

Anyone wanna shed some light on this situation?

zulutango 12-08-2010 09:10 PM

Here is the light you requested.

Muffler
7.03 (1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise.

Cut-outs prohibited
(2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine.

Part removal prohibited
(3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which has been removed any baffle plate or other part.

Alteration prohibited
(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened

Limitless 12-08-2010 09:16 PM

Thanks . So pretty much , it's illegal to install a modified exhaust system or even have a aftermarket muffler tip from canadian tire (<- just an example)? Or am I misunderstanding

Raid3n 12-08-2010 09:22 PM

if it is just a slip on (can fit over the tip that's already there) you're fine as you're not making the opening that expels the exhaust gases any bigger.

zulutango 12-08-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 7220455)
if it is just a slip on (can fit over the tip that's already there) you're fine as you're not making the opening that expels the exhaust gases any bigger.

So the gases don't pass thru and are not expelled by the new widened tip?

:D

Limitless 12-08-2010 09:39 PM

So if it's let's say a 3" tip that goes over the existing 2.3" stock tip, would officers pull me over without knowing the difference?

zulutango 12-09-2010 06:01 AM

I don't know if you would get pulled over but if you did it would be easy to see a larger pipe placed over a smaller one wouldn't it? My thought would be that a grapefruit shooter slid over a stock diamater tailpipe would be heard before it was seen and then anyone could see that it was greatly larger.

Soundy 12-09-2010 06:48 AM

A grapefruit shooter slid over a stock tailpipe would be cosmetic only - the exhaust is still restricted by the stock outlet, so there would be no difference in sound.

gdoh 12-09-2010 06:51 AM

y dont u just get a catback??

zulutango 12-09-2010 08:15 AM

So those magaphone mufflers I used to have on my Ducat1 750 sport didn't make the exhaust sound louder? Damn, I wasted a lot of money for nothing. :D

taylor192 12-09-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limitless (Post 7220484)
So if it's let's say a 3" tip that goes over the existing 2.3" stock tip, would officers pull me over without knowing the difference?

The solution is to not be a ricer - you don't need a larger tip on a smaller pipe, it adds no power.

taylor192 12-09-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limitless (Post 7220442)
Thanks . So pretty much , it's illegal to install a modified exhaust system or even have a aftermarket muffler tip from canadian tire (<- just an example)? Or am I misunderstanding

I have a fully modified exhaust with dual 2.25" tips. The 2 tips flow almost as much as a 3" tip without looking like a fart can and attracting negative attention from the police. I've never had a problem.

seekerbeta 12-09-2010 09:58 AM

im curious with mine, i had 2 1.25" Pipes coming out of my muffler, i replaced it with a single 2.5" muffler, would this be illegal considering that the total size is still the same?

V35 12-09-2010 09:58 AM

You won't get pulled over if you get an aftermarket exhaust lol.
Unless it sounds like a F1 car.

And for taylor192 I hope you know you drive a ricer car so stfu.

taylor192 12-09-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V35 (Post 7221129)
And for taylor192 I hope you know you drive a ricer car so stfu.

Of course I do, and that's why I'm giving advice. :p My car stands out like a sore thumb, yet no VIs despite being pulled over and ticketed a couple times.

I stand by my advice: 2 smaller tips will flow just as much as 1 larger tip, look better, and attractive less negative attention from the police. :thumbsup:

zulutango 12-09-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7221057)
The solution is to not be a ricer - you don't need a larger tip on a smaller pipe, it adds no power.

So bigger is not better? :D

Soundy 12-09-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7221036)
So those magaphone mufflers I used to have on my Ducat1 750 sport didn't make the exhaust sound louder? Damn, I wasted a lot of money for nothing. :D

Whole new mufflers are not really the same thing as just sticking a fake tip on the existing tailpipe, now is it?

Soundy 12-09-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerbeta (Post 7221128)
im curious with mine, i had 2 1.25" Pipes coming out of my muffler, i replaced it with a single 2.5" muffler, would this be illegal considering that the total size is still the same?

Total size ISN'T the same. Area of the actual opening of two 1.25" pipes is ~2.45"; one 2.5" pipe is 4.9".

In any case, the law states you're not allowed to modify your muffler by enlarging or expanding its opening... it doesn't say anything about replacing it with another muffler of a different design.

MindBomber 12-10-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7221057)

It usually retards power since the factory exhaust size is optimized to provide the perfect amount of back pressure. Adding a larger exhaust also adds a ton of weight.

I've never heard of someone getting pulled over for an exhaust, is it common?

taylor192 12-10-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7223254)
It usually retards power since the factory exhaust size is optimized to provide the perfect amount of back pressure. Adding a larger exhaust also adds a ton of weight.

I've never heard of someone getting pulled over for an exhaust, is it common?

There seems to be enough posts about it. :D

Luckily BC does not test the same way Quebec does - they shove a rod up the exhaust to ensure the muffler is baffled.

Limitless 12-11-2010 12:43 AM

I haven't heard or seen anyone get pulled over for an exhaust related issue either.. unless it's a huge as* fart can . But the thread I found was pretty surprising, I believe it was in the gva too :\

I actually drive a Hybrid, and I want an exhaust that's.. kind of chrome to give it a bit of shine instead of the dull material it is now. I haven't found any tips that have the same in and out sizes, so I'd expect to increase from approx 2.3" to 2.6". I don't want a huge ass muffler tip to look fast, or to add a dual exhaust tip on my single one. IMO dual exhausts on usdm civics is as rice as sticking a huge gt wing and a 4" fart can on a 1990 civic.

zulutango 12-11-2010 06:32 AM

A modded hybrid....isn't that an oxymoron...either you save the world from global warming...sorry...."Climate change"....or you have fun driving, Make up yer mind. :eek5x:

!SG 12-11-2010 08:41 AM

hybrid is just a tern used to describe the car has use of both a regular gasoline motor and an electrical motor.

some hybrids are made for fuel economy, while others are still labelled hybrid but the pupose is to use a smaller engine + the electric motor to equate to the power range of a larger motor.

prius, camry hybrids are meant to save gas. while other vehicles may have something like a v6 + the electric motor to get the hp and torque equivalent of a v8.

zulutango 12-11-2010 09:15 AM

So Jeff Dunham is wrong about Priuses then? :D