REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Crossing boarder to states under 18

Hey, friends and I planning to go down to the states during Christmas break for shopping or w/e is fun, just a little trip for 3 days

Problem is I am driving down, I only have my N (have 1 person sitting with me).. both of us are 17, wondering if we can get through without having an adult with us? But is it possible if we get notes from parents?

Thanks
Advertisement
kouki_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
If it's just you and your friend you should be fine. Drove down to Seattle w/my friend over the summer and I was only 17 at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
That should be okay.. I crossed with 4 of my friends in one car and we were all 17.. and I had my N! No parental notes either!

It all depends on the guard though. But if it's just you and a friend, I doubt he'll tell you to turn around.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
The "BOARDER" guard going into the states should be okay, since a lot of times they just ask where you are going and your off.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #5

Aite, thanks everyone
Old 12-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

you only have to have a note from your parents if your under 16. Ive always wondered if they can enforce the number of passengers though. Is it on the back of your licence as a restriction?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
That is no problem; they don't even care if you have just your L, just don't drive stupid and you won't get pulled over by state troopers.(Not sure if they care or not) The border guards will just go through regular procedure and let you through. The thing you SHOULD be worrying about is where you are going to stay. Remember there is a minimum age you have to be to rent a hotel under your name. (21?)

If you are staying at a motel / friend's house then I gather it will be fine. But remember motel's are mad sketch.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhall View Post
you only have to have a note from your parents if your under 16. Ive always wondered if they can enforce the number of passengers though. Is it on the back of your licence as a restriction?
It's not the USBS's job to enforce that. But however, if you get pulled over by a police officer that's a different story. A Coworker of mine got pulled over for excessive speeding in the states in the wee hours of the morning, 5 people in the car, and no N sign.

Got a $500 ticket but Too many passengers or No N Sign was not one of the tickets he got stuck with. I don't think the officer's there understand that rule, or can give out tickets for violating that because they don't have that law.

---------------

OP: I've travelled to the states for work a couple times while I was still 17, brought parental consent forms with me but they've never been checked.

One thing you have to remember if you're carrying more than one passenger is, that if you do get in an accident, you will not be covered.

I think it's probably better to play it safe and bring a consent form along with you, cause after all, if your parents are letting you, what do you have to lose? Unless you're doing it behind their back then it's a completely different story...
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
It's not the USBS's job to enforce that. But however, if you get pulled over by a police officer that's a different story. A Coworker of mine got pulled over for excessive speeding in the states in the wee hours of the morning, 5 people in the car, and no N sign.

Got a $500 ticket but Too many passengers or No N Sign was not one of the tickets he got stuck with. I don't think the officer's there understand that rule, or can give out tickets for violating that because they don't have that law.

---------------

OP: I've travelled to the states for work a couple times while I was still 17, brought parental consent forms with me but they've never been checked.

One thing you have to remember if you're carrying more than one passenger is, that if you do get in an accident, you will not be covered.

I think it's probably better to play it safe and bring a consent form along with you, cause after all, if your parents are letting you, what do you have to lose? Unless you're doing it behind their back then it's a completely different story...
Your absolutely right. It's not USBS's responsiblity. It is US Customs and Border Protection's (US CBP). They are responsible for allowing or denying access of non-resident aliens into US soil. And if he has suspicion of the identities of the minors (under 19), he has every right to verify your claimed identity or deny you from entry. Here's what's on the CBP's FAQ..

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ing-to-another
Quote:
While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.
Similar precautions should also be expected when coming back from the states. But as you a Canadian citizen, you can enter into Canada by right. However, they may still want to confirm your identity before letting you in. You may or may not get questioned, that depends on the officer that greets you when you enter/return. But it's best to expect delays. For more advise, its best to contact CBSA and CBP if you want some concrete answers. If things go south, I doubt the officer will accept an excuse of "RS members told me so!".
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Getting a ticket for driving contrary to restrictions as a result of extra passengers is no big deal, even if you do get your license suspended. The problem is ICBC won't accept your claim if you in an accident while driving contrary to restriction, which if you hit a nice car or someone was injured could destroy you financially.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
as long as your within your restriction, there shouldnt be any problems.
i dnt know what restrictions there are for L or N drivers, but im sure you cant drive at night without someone who doesnt have their full license..
Old 12-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Where will you stay?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Where will you stay?
Prob at a hotel, it's not just me and the other girl in the car with me, there is another car going with us also that is carrying 5 other people (other friend has his class 5)
Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Just keep in mind being a minor in the states is a great deal different from being a minor here. Your parents own your ass as far as they're concerned down there, so if you have any problems at all (police, hotel, etc), expect to be contacting them.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Say your coming back from the states to canada and you only have an N and you got 5 ppl riding with you. Would the canadian border ppl care?
Posted via RS Mobile
gloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #16
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
as long as your within your restriction, there shouldnt be any problems.
i dnt know what restrictions there are for L or N drivers, but im sure you cant drive at night without someone who doesnt have their full license..
No, you HAVE to have somebody over 25 years of age with a Class 5 or higher supervising you through the L stage, and can not drive in between the hours of 12 am and 5 am.

The N does not have any time restrictions, but however, you may only legally drive one person unless it's immediate family, or unless you have somebody over 25 years of age with a Class 5 or higher sitting in the front seat with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloors View Post
Say your coming back from the states to canada and you only have an N and you got 5 ppl riding with you. Would the canadian border ppl care?
Posted via RS Mobile
Re-read the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0r3 View Post
Your absolutely right. It's not USBS's responsiblity. It is US Customs and Border Protection's (US CBP). They are responsible for allowing or denying access of non-resident aliens into US soil.
I was stating that it's not the USBS nor the US CBP's job to enforce traffic laws.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki_monster View Post
Prob at a hotel, it's not just me and the other girl in the car with me, there is another car going with us also that is carrying 5 other people (other friend has his class 5)
Do think they will rent you a room? Do you have a credit card?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
As far as I know a 17 year old can't legally sign anything in the states. You should make sure to call ahead and be sure they're aware of your age when you make a reservation.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Like I said, not only us two going.. the other driver has credit card, class 5 = 19 at least
Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Um, I crossed the border with 6 people including me in the same car (4 people in a back seat for 3) and came back, all with my N.

I probably got really really lucky though
versep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #21
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
No, you HAVE to have somebody over 25 years of age with a Class 5 or higher supervising you through the L stage, and can not drive in between the hours of 12 am and 5 am.

The N does not have any time restrictions, but however, you may only legally drive one person unless it's immediate family, or unless you have somebody over 25 years of age with a Class 5 or higher sitting in the front seat with you.
ahh... now i know... so for N drivers, you can have more then 1 passenger non-class 5, as long as you have 1 person that holds a class 5?