REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Can You Wash a North Face Nuptse Down Jacket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/632406-can-you-wash-north-face-nuptse-down-jacket.html)

Legitimate 12-09-2010 08:39 PM

Can You Wash a North Face Nuptse Down Jacket

As the weather is now cold, I recently bought myself a Men's North Face Nuptse Jacket (North Face Bomber).
The Jacket is 700 series/summit series, and looks the picture below. I bought it off craigslist and when the seller
brought it to me, it looked like it was brand new, just like he described. The only problem was it smelled like CRAP.
I really need to wear this jacket due to the weather but because of the horrible smell I can't, and I don't know
if theres a way to wash it/ get rid of the stench without ruining it since its filled with goose down.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...cketForMen.jpg

Any comments/help would be appreciated. Thanks

kevin7352 12-09-2010 08:45 PM

ya you can wash it, just wash it in delicate setting alone and you can also machine dry it on low....when you dry it, the clumps of feathers will be really hard to separate so people say to put something in the dryer with it to help break it up

SumAznGuy 12-09-2010 08:49 PM

Also, try washing it inside out so that incase it catches anything.

The feathers will clump up and will everntally work it's way free after you wear it.

optiblue 12-09-2010 08:51 PM

I get mine Dry Cleaned. Water plus goose down do not mix, but it may not fully get out the smell.

lowside67 12-09-2010 09:23 PM

You didnt smell it when you tried it on when you bought it and it's really that bad...?

Legitimate 12-09-2010 09:40 PM

i did smell it when i met up with him, but I didnt want to send him back since he came all the way from burrard station to meet with me at surrey central. I figured i could just get rid of the smell somehow, but i couldnt think of a way and i never thought of making a thread about it until now.
And yes if i wore it in public people would like avoid me lol

Spectre_Cdn 12-09-2010 09:44 PM

http://www.grangers.co.uk/CA/En/productview.cfm?id=6

You can buy down wash at outdoor clothing stores, and wash on delicate cycle as others have said.

When you put it in the dryer, you can throw in a clean tennis ball to fluff up the down inside the jacket.

If the smell is still there, maybe you could try dry-cleaning it with Dryel, though I'm not sure if that would impact the waterproofing of the jacket. But it would smell very nice with Dryel :)

chin3se604 12-09-2010 10:24 PM

make sure you fluff the feathers up.. or else it will not retain its nice puffy form

jeedee 12-09-2010 10:28 PM

Do you need to wash your kappa pants and Nike shox aswell?

:troll:

On a serious note, when washing the jacket make sure you use those "tennis balls" so the feathers don't clump up together
Posted via RS Mobile

PUPPY 12-09-2010 10:36 PM

buy axe
spray on northface
smell good
get chicks
;)

Okami 12-10-2010 11:37 AM

^,^^ those made me lol..

i used to have one of those like 5 years ago.. have watched it like 3 times and it was fine.. like other people said.. it'll clump up and look like shit after youre done washing but after its dried it will puff up by it self... i did not use the dryer..

for best advice go to CHQ or mcdonalds.. the bomber mans are everywhere.. im sure one can help you

hchang 12-10-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okami (Post 7222592)
for best advice go to CHQ or mcdonalds.. the bomber mans are everywhere.. im sure one can help you

:rofl:

This made me LOL.

There's also a lot of these bomber mans at Bus stops, if you can't seem to find one at McDonalds.

chin3se604 12-10-2010 12:15 PM

most of us were prob northface bombermans during the winter
and then a kappa soldier during the rest of the year lol

Mr.HappySilp 12-10-2010 12:19 PM

THERE is like a dry washing kit in London Drugs. I bought that to wash my jacket (have some fur sticking out). Works pretty decent..

van19 12-10-2010 03:35 PM

I've washed my Northface Nuptse Down Vest lots of time. Just wash it normally or on delicate if you're afraid to damage it and then pop it in the dryer. Make sure you dry it long enough so that the feathers are not damp.

Legitimate 12-10-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn (Post 7221960)

If the smell is still there, maybe you could try dry-cleaning it with Dryel, though I'm not sure if that would impact the waterproofing of the jacket. But it would smell very nice with Dryel :)

I don't think its waterproof to begin with, just superwarm

Anyways thanks everyone, ill wash it this weekend

suzuka84 12-10-2010 09:09 PM

it's not waterproof so you only wear that type of jacket when it's cold and clear (think Alberta type of weather). In Vancouver, we get a ton of rain so that jacket doesn't provide a hardshell layer to protect you from getting wet.

Nicotine 12-12-2010 04:29 AM

some are water ressistant, depends if it has a shinny finish or not.
just wash it normally and put it in the dryer on low for a while.

will068 12-12-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 7222026)
Do you need to wash your kappa pants and Nike shox aswell?

:troll:

On a serious note, when washing the jacket make sure you use those "tennis balls" so the feathers don't clump up together
Posted via RS Mobile

No, have tennis balls in a pillow case when placed in the dryer at low heat.