REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

ATTENTION: UBC Parking Tickets, Read if you park at UBC

Hey guys,

So over the weekend the new laws were passed in regards to UBC parking and how tickets were issued and whether they could legal enforce the consequences such as towing, and preventing you from graduating if you had tickets.. Well...
I learned this the hard way. I had accumulated a few UBC parking tickets because for a long time (about 8 months for me) you could park without being towed. This was because UBC did not have the legal authority to tow you and demand their money.

Many of you guys may have heard of the lawsuit that UBC had been fighting over the year, and they have won that lawsuit. Basically now, if you have tickets you will have to either appeal them, pay them or not park on campus.

I spoke with the parking authorities after they towed my car. They said that the authority was given to them as of Monday, December 6th, 2010. They, by law can now tow any car that owes them money through parking tickets. Generally they will only tow cars with 2 or more tickets to their plate. They will tow you even if you have paid for your parking that day but you have 2 or more tickets to your plate. I saw them towing two guys that had paid. They have a lot of authorities checking tickets now, and are pretty much just towing whatever car has tickets on them. If you plan to park on UBC and have accumulated a lot of tickets I suggest you do the following:

-Change your license plate, they still won't be able to tell who you are unless they check your license plate, if your plate is clean they will not tow. For the next month or so they will be checking everyone's plate regardless of whether or not you have paid for parking.. this is their way of getting back at the people who 'owe' them money.

-Pay for your parking from now on. The parking authorities will blacklist your car if you get even one ticket. They have a list in the office of all the cars and their plates who have one or more tickets.

If you don't do these things there are several penalties that can happen.

First off you get your car towed, which they charge you a $90 towing.
Then you will have to pay back all the tickets that you owe. Depending on when the ticket was issued you will either have to pay $60 per ticket or $30 per ticket. I think anytime after Sep2010 is $60 and anytime before that date is $30.
Lastly, if they find out that you haven't paid for your tickets, UBC WILL NOT LET YOU GRADUATE until you pay them. This is an actual law that the provincial court has passed for UBC. There has been a lot of discussion as to whether they can really find you and make you pay because they may not be able pin point the actual owner of the car and therefore cannot assign blame, however I wouldn't want to take any chances.

I hope this has helped all of you, because I had to pay a shitload of cash to get my car back, and I don't want it happening to any other guys.

PLEASE CHANGE YOUR PLATE ASAP!!!
Advertisement
AsianSurprize is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

shiet, I have 4 or 5 unpaid tickets from over the years, let's see if they let me graduate next year
Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
lol back in the day sfu would just put one of close claw things on your tire and if u wanted to leave in your own car you had to pay.

wouldnt you get fucked even more if they see you using a fake license plate..? and what happens if they tow your car with the fake plate on.. youll never get your car back XD cuz youll get arrested for having a stolen car.. or thats what i think they'd say XD
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
lol back in the day sfu would just put one of close claw things on your tire and if u wanted to leave in your own car you had to pay.

wouldnt you get fucked even more if they see you using a fake license plate..? and what happens if they tow your car with the fake plate on.. youll never get your car back XD cuz youll get arrested for having a stolen car.. or thats what i think they'd say XD
Pretty sure he meant go to an ICBC autoplan broker and issue a new license plate for $18, not stealing someone else or making your own.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Thanks for this info.

I got away with not paying for parking in front of the bookstore for the whole of summer until the last day of classes when i got a ticket. Which I don't plan on paying. So now they can tow me if I park outside the parkades even if I paid for parking? Wow that's such a hassle if that actually happens.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

I'm interested in knowing if they check cars in parkades...
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
^ I hope not.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,951 Times in 585 Posts
Tip: Do not register your license plate with them. Make a fake license plate if you're buying a parking pass. That way, they cant link it to your student number.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
does UBC parking link their information with the impark lots on campus? or does this only apply if you park on the streets/ bookstore lot?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,951 Times in 585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
does UBC parking link their information with the impark lots on campus? or does this only apply if you park on the streets/ bookstore lot?
Nope Impark is independent.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

I'm a courier and got a ticket. I'm contracted so I do use my own car and wondering if the ubc tickets are connected to city of Vancouver or icbc. Just worried that I'll be forced to pay on renewal
Kev-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #12
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Having a UBC ticket won't impact your insurance renewal.

But they'll try and chase you down for payment, and they have their own towing/booting fleet on campus if your car gets flagged in the system.
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #13
I bringith the lowerballerith

Oh OK. Well I disputed the ticket. Btw f#@@ ubc and the gps system worst place to deliver and that's if u know exactly where the building is. Twice today I had gps guide me wrong place. And where the f#$@ are the loading zones. Just a big fat day or stress
Kev-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Your Credit rating can be affected from unpaid overdue tickets as well if it goes to collection agency's.
Just saying..
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Just for UBCs parking tickets?

I've been sitting on a few from Diamond and Impark that's been sent to collections but nothing has ever appeared on my credit rating.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Just for UBCs parking tickets?

I've been sitting on a few from Diamond and Impark that's been sent to collections but nothing has ever appeared on my credit rating.
Never seen it affect credit scores.

I talked with a family member about this, far as they knew parking tickets and the likes will not go on your credit bureau.

They can try and scare you and stuff, but at the end of the day, they are like the big bad wolf, and you are safe inside your brick house. They can huff and puff, but they ain't gonna blow your house down.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #17
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
the only thing about easypark & impark etc.
if u don't pay for a lot of tickets, they see u with outstanding say 4 tickets, if they tow u, u have to also pay for all previous tickets.
Is this true or not? can someone confirm
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:03 PM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
I imagine they would want you to pay all the tickets if they tow you. But if you get 3 or 4 tickets just get a new plate from ICBC. Impark and the like can't do shit to your credit, last I checked only city tickets can do that (but city tickets are usually reasonable amounts, where Imparks are a complete rip off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev-o View Post
I'm a courier and got a ticket. I'm contracted so I do use my own car and wondering if the ubc tickets are connected to city of Vancouver or icbc. Just worried that I'll be forced to pay on renewal
I doubt you'll be forced to pay, but if you're working at UBC again you might want to just pay it or get a new plate after another ticket or two. If you're a recognizable courier they might catch on to the plate change if you're there a lot though.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote