REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #226
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Can shit get even realer than in A Clash of Kings!?
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #227
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Can shit get even realer than in A Clash of Kings!?
Just you wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
I just finished Dance With Dragons (at 3 am this morning actually) and I think it may be my favorite in the series.

GRRM sure as hell better get to writing the next one FAST. I can't wait 10 years to find out what happens to some characters now!
Yeah, I'm purposely taking my time with this book. I've found a couple of other series to read, and another book was just released in a series I'm already reading, but because GRRM is taking so long to release his books, I'm gonna make this one last as long as I can.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #228
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl:7518635
I just finished Dance With Dragons (at 3 am this morning actually) and I think it may be my favorite in the series.

GRRM sure as hell better get to writing the next one FAST. I can't wait 10 years to find out what happens to some characters now!
Lol wut
I finished reading at 2am. I win.

Never knew that I would actually like Wyman Manderly.
This book made me like a lot of characters which I didn't care for in previous installments.

Last edited by Matlock; 07-21-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #229
...in the world.

It seems the series gets much more into the magic and sorcery part of fantasy. Is that where this is headed? Like...people shooting fireballs and shit? No spoilers...just say yes, no, sort of, etc. I can't say that's been my favorite part of the books so far...although it might be awesome. Honestly, I enjoy the politics and conversations, trying to figure out who's backstabbing who. And the history...I wouldn't mind some kind of history book just straight up telling what happened in the years that preceeded.

And GRRM is 62. What the fuck happens if he dies before the series is over...!?

Also...starting A Storm of Swords!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #230

Quote:
It seems the series gets much more into the magic and sorcery part of fantasy. Is that where this is headed? Like...people shooting fireballs and shit? No spoilers...just say yes, no, sort of, etc.

And GRRM is 62. What the fuck happens if he dies before the series is over...!?

Also...starting A Storm of Swords!
This book does head into the direction of the super natural where some form of magic does exist. However, this is not Harry Potter. No instant spell casting of any sort.

If GRRM dies we are all screwed unless we can some how tap into his cadaver's skull and siphon out all of the data.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #231
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Glad to hear it's going more into magic and fantasy, that's what my wife really wanted to see more of for after watching the first season... she wants to see more of what's beyond the wall too
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #232
...in the world.

I'm okay with the amount that's in there now although I was hoping for more swords and shields sort of fighting. As long as some sort of Gandalf or people flinging fireballs around, then I'm good with it.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #233
...in the world.

Reading about the show's 2nd season production. They cast a few of the characters like Davos and Brienne.

WTF the actress that plays Sansa is only a year older than the one that plays Arya....and she adopted the dog that played Lady.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #234
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I think the guy they chose to be Davos was a pretty good choice.

And is that Theon in the middle? Some of them look so different, lol.

Take a look at Emilia Clarke who plays Dany. She's a beauty with dark hair!

neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #235

I'd say all the characters are pretty much perfectly cast. Can't stop reading! Arya is my favourite character by far
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #236

I'm really happy that a lot more people are reading A Song of Ice and Fire. It's my favorite series and now that we have that in common, I can be less

Also, look into The Hedge Knight novella/comic book series about Dunk and Egg. It's a side story that takes place many years before the novel and reading them won't ruin any of the novels, because it takes place in the past. You can "download" them if you know where to look.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #237
...in the world.

Daenerys is even hotter IRL...
Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #238

It's those eyebrows
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #239
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
I'm okay with the amount that's in there now although I was hoping for more swords and shields sort of fighting. As long as some sort of Gandalf or people flinging fireballs around, then I'm good with it.
Ya, there's really no Gandalf/Harry Potter -esque magic happening. In fact, the "magic" doesn't really start happening until the latest couple books and even then it's more along the lines of predicting the future than anything else, though wait for Stannis and whatshername. That's some freaky shit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
I'm really happy that a lot more people are reading A Song of Ice and Fire. It's my favorite series and now that we have that in common, I can be less

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Glad to hear it's going more into magic and fantasy, that's what my wife really wanted to see more of for after watching the first season... she wants to see more of what's beyond the wall too
There's definitely going to be a lot more about what goes on beyond the wall. It will start delving into the Free Folk and the Wights, though I'm hoping the last two books will have a bit more in it than the previous ones had.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #240
...in the world.

That shadow bullshit happens is in the 2nd book. Weird but that's about as far as I want the magic to go here.

I love, love, love, love, love hearing about the old times like what happened north of The Wall and such.

My favorite character is definitely Arya but Jon Snow was 2nd until the end of the 2nd book. That didn't go where I was hoping.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #241
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
Wow....just went to literally every library in Burnaby and Vancouver and none of them had Clash of Kings available. -.-

Had to order that shit off Amazon. Better come quick. FUUUU. Where you guys buying your books?
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #242
...in the world.

I think I'll wait until the series is finished and then buy a cool box set.

I downloaded the audiobooks and have no interest in actually reading words so it would be pointless for me to buy the books now. But I love them so far so I definitely will buy a set.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDeeCee View Post
Wow....just went to literally every library in Burnaby and Vancouver and none of them had Clash of Kings available. -.-

Had to order that shit off Amazon. Better come quick. FUUUU. Where you guys buying your books?
Kindle. Delivery takes about a minute

This is the first time I have read a book for quite a while. I usually use audiobooks. I really do hate reading. It takes forever, and is quite fatiguing.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #244

Quote:

Next time just phone all of the book warehouse stores. I think I paid $5 for each of my paper backs... 3 years ago
Posted via RS Mobile
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #245
...in the world.

The only problem with audiobooks is that I tend to zone out, watching the action happen in my head as the old British dude reads to me.

Usually not a big deal but...well, when driving...

It's great at the gym...the miles on the bike or treadmill seem to disappear.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #246
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
Wot. I tried listening to audiobooks once. They literally read 10x slower than me. Amazon doesn't have bad price for Clash of Kings. $5 for a papercover. The rest are $10. Can't wait for this shit to arrive.
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #247
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Spoiler!
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #248

I got so addicted after reading GoT, I watched the HBO series AGAIN. They did such a good job of casting the characters. And most of the things they changed were minor and suitable for a TV series. What I didn't like is how the marginalized the dire wolves, and Rickon. That kid scares me. Also, they made 'hinted' things really obvious, like Renly, and Greyjoy's feelings for the Starks. But I guess it will all come together in the next seasons.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #249
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:

Kobobooks.

An ebook reader means they're never sold out :P

I HAD hard copies of the whole series too but I gave them all out to friends.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #250
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I got so addicted after reading GoT, I watched the HBO series AGAIN. They did such a good job of casting the characters. And most of the things they changed were minor and suitable for a TV series. What I didn't like is how the marginalized the dire wolves, and Rickon. That kid scares me. Also, they made 'hinted' things really obvious, like Renly, and Greyjoy's feelings for the Starks. But I guess it will all come together in the next seasons.
They upped the ages by all of the minor characters by between 2 and 4 years. This was done cause GRRM asked them too first of all (he says his biggest regret was not making the kids older. He'd initially planned a large time jump early in the series but then realized it wasn't doable. The first 6 books of the series cover only a little over a year.) but also because the teens in the series are sexually active and such at an age that can not be portrayed on TV. Dany's only 14 in the books, in the TV series she's 18. Rob, Jon and Theon are likewise, in the books 16-14 when the series starts. They bumped them all up to 17-19 as well. Rikkon was only 2 in the books and Bran 6. But they needed actors who could handle MUCH more mature rolls so knocked them up to 6 for Rikkon and 9 for Bran. And so on.

I'm totally cool with this particular change since it makes the characters more the way they were portrayed in the books rather then the biological age they were in the books.