REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - No Road Test Allowed

I received an e-mail last week from an older woman whose husband had been tested with a computer and then had his license revoked by the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles. The husband had not even been allowed to do a road test before he was told that he could no longer drive. Was this action allowed and had I heard about DriveABLE?

I can also add a bit of background from some time ago when the man had been asked to perform a memory test at the doctor's office as part of the medical exam required to keep his license. He found this test to be stressful, difficult to perform and again, she wondered what this had to do with driving.

Reading between the lines, the gentleman very likely suffered from a cognitive difficulty. The tests had identified this and the examiners at DriveABLE, who were testing on behalf of the Superintendent, found that the impairment was significant enough that an on road test was not required to find out he was no longer capable of driving safely. Physically, he could handle the vehicle, but mentally he was not capable of gathering and properly processing the information needed to drive safely.

The couple now faces significant personal challenges because she has difficulty driving due to physical health issues. Their mobility now depends on someone else and they are not prepared for what seems to them to be a sudden change in their circumstances. Like a beginner learning to drive, one must anticipate being denied the privilege to drive and prepare for it accordingly.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC

Last edited by skidmark; 12-12-2010 at 10:42 AM.
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
one must anticipate being denied the privilege to drive and prepare for it accordingly.
Fixed that for ya

and that quote applies to all... too bad some of the young and old drivers on here forget so quickly!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Fixed that for ya
Done! Thanks....

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I've been a proponent for old age testing for a long time. I think that testing after a certain age should be free and mandatory. Also it should be done with more frequency as age increases. This is not a direct knock on older people but I have personally seen how fast people can decline given old age. This is no different than making young people accountable with L's and N's.

Berz
Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

My father should have had his licence taken away at 65.. but I have no pull with the doctor
Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

same here, i had to bug my mom every chance i had to get her to stop driving as her absent mindedness is a complete danger on the road. needless to say the day she did quit was a huge load off my shoulders.

she was 60 when she quit
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote