REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Residental street parking (https://www.revscene.net/forums/632635-residental-street-parking.html)

SumAznGuy 12-12-2010 11:34 PM

Residental street parking

I live up on SFU in the univercity. We recently picked up a second vehicle as a DD and park it on the street since our assigned parking spot is being used by my other car.

I noticed that lately, people who park on the street are doing in it in such a way that their vehicle takes up 1 1/2 to 2 car spots. ie parking 5 ft from the sign so that no one can fit their car in front without part of their car being past the sign.

Another thing I noticed is the amount of service vehicles. I guess some of the people work for companies that give them work vehicles that these people take home. Some of these work vehicles include BC Hydro vans, Black & Mcdonald vans, Terasan gas, just to name a few. Are these people allowed to park their commercial verhicles on the street over night?

There is limited parking on the street and I do not want to get into the habbit of illegally parking in the visitor spots, but these people are getting annoying.

My question is, are these people legally allowed to park their service verhicles on the street over night?

And is there anything I can do or ask the city to do in regards to these inconsiderate people? Street parking is limited and will only get worse with the new buildings being constructed.

lowside67 12-12-2010 11:43 PM

Burnaby bylaws do not restrict parking of vehicles between 6pm and 6am. During the day, you can only park for a maximum of 3 hours on any street unless it is directly in front of your residence in which case you can park there as long as you like.

-Mark

Anjew 12-13-2010 01:27 AM

downtown parking is extremely scarce...

on a particular street there is a mid sized camper van that has been parked (never moved) in one of the free spots for over 3 months which is similar to the op as it is parked half a car length from the sign. another pickup on the same street also been there almost a month with a blown tire.

i wonder if i can file a complaint to get those vehicles removed?

taylor192 12-13-2010 08:06 AM

Just remember, fair is fair. If you complain and one of your neighbours is ticketed/towed, it may happen to you next.

6793026 12-13-2010 08:41 AM

do they have commercial plates on it as in a Commercial permit plate.

telus van or bc hydro are like any other van.

yes they park like douche bags, but tehre's no laws saying how well you should park (to a certain extend).. sorry buddy.

Soundy 12-13-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7226258)
Just remember, fair is fair. If you complain and one of your neighbours is ticketed/towed, it may happen to you next.

You can complain all you want; if they're not actually parked illegally, nobody's getting ticketed or towed anywhere.

sebberry 12-13-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 7225966)
I noticed that lately, people who park on the street are doing in it in such a way that their vehicle takes up 1 1/2 to 2 car spots. ie parking 5 ft from the sign so that no one can fit their car in front without part of their car being past the sign.

Time for some vigilante justice:

http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/...e/infract1.php

SumAznGuy 12-13-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7226329)

This is basically it. Last night when I parked, there was a red Venza in front of me. And this morning that Venza was still there in the same spot. In front of him is a first gen Fit. That guy parked in the middle of the spot, leaving about 3/4 of a car space behind him, and half a car space in front. Add that the douche in front of him has half a car space in front and now there would have been 2 car spots had these tards learned to park properly.

I will check on the commercial plate thing. What difference does it make if they do or do not have those comercial plates?

MindBomber 12-13-2010 11:41 AM

Why not write to the city and ask them to add parking space lines if its an ongoing issue?

604nguyen 12-13-2010 12:39 PM

for commmercial vehicles, they can get a commercial decal, which allows them to park in commercial lanes/ loading zones and free meter parking . Even for residential areas with lets say 2 hour parking, theres special permits you can get from city hall to allow you to park anywhere you want thats time limited for as long as you want.

These permits need to be purchased, so they can have these special privilages.

and its not a commecial "plate" its a decal

jlenko 12-13-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 7225983)
Burnaby bylaws do not restrict parking of vehicles between 6pm and 6am. During the day, you can only park for a maximum of 3 hours on any street unless it is directly in front of your residence in which case you can park there as long as you like.

-Mark

Not true. Burnaby bylaws are 72 hours max on city streets. Anything longer, and you get ticketed and/or towed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjew (Post 7226117)
downtown parking is extremely scarce...

on a particular street there is a mid sized camper van that has been parked (never moved) in one of the free spots for over 3 months which is similar to the op as it is parked half a car length from the sign. another pickup on the same street also been there almost a month with a blown tire.

i wonder if i can file a complaint to get those vehicles removed?

Yep.. sure can. Vancouver parking enforcement (604) 257-8727.

lowside67 12-13-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 7226567)
Not true. Burnaby bylaws are 72 hours max on city streets. Anything longer, and you get ticketed and/or towed.

I meant without worrying about the 3 hour maximum, I know you cant park there indefinitely. Your 72 hour figure is incorrect, I have attached the correct bylaw.

Quote:

Burnaby bylaw #4760, 6912

No person shall park a vehicle:

d) at any one place on any street for a period longer than 24 consecutive hours
This is also pertinent:

Quote:

Burnaby bylaw #5410, 6134, 6912 (6)

No person shall, between the hours of 8:00 o'clock in the morning and 6:00 o'clock in the afternoon, park any vehicle on any street abutting any premises used for residential or commercial purposes for more than three hours unless such premises are the property or residence of such person or the property of his employer.
FML no more reading bylaws recreationally.

-Mark

jlenko 12-13-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 7226583)
I meant without worrying about the 3 hour maximum, I know you cant park there indefinitely. Your 72 hour figure is incorrect, I have attached the correct bylaw.

It was more in how you'd written it. I didn't know the bylaw itself read 24 hours (damn! I leave mine over the weekend... usually close to 60 hours!).. it was the Burnaby parking enforcement officer I spoke to personally who told me the 72 hour figure.

Well, now we all know!!

6793026 12-15-2010 08:25 AM

it's HARDLY enforced.

06TLer 12-15-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 7228950)
it's HARDLY enforced.

^ +1

It's suppose to be a 2 hour limit but no one cares about it. I've driven up there a couple of times and estimate that 70+% of the cars outside park overnight. (It's been easy to spot lately cause they're all covered with snow). Apparently that area isn't covered by campus security and it's rare for the city to send trucks up the hill to issue tickets.

It's also a hot spot for students looking for free parking. They can pretty much park there the whole day without having to pay SFU a couple hundred of $$ for their parking. Just wait till Spring, it will only get worse up there.

nns 12-16-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604nguyen (Post 7226551)
for commmercial vehicles, they can get a commercial decal, which allows them to park in commercial lanes/ loading zones and free meter parking . Even for residential areas with lets say 2 hour parking, theres special permits you can get from city hall to allow you to park anywhere you want thats time limited for as long as you want.

These permits need to be purchased, so they can have these special privilages.

and its not a commecial "plate" its a decal

Lots of errors here. A plate AND decal is required if you don't have signage on the car, eg a big sign saying Shaw. If your car has signage deemed to be within city hall's requirements, then you only need the windshield decal.

Also, meter parking is only free uptil 1030am, then you have to pay like everybody else. You can't park anywhere, you still have to abide by no stopping /no parking signs.
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/licandinsp/licences/vehicle/index.htm
Posted via RS Mobile

nns 12-16-2010 08:49 AM

Lastly, you need to be actively loading/unloadings goods or services to park in commercial lanes.
Posted via RS Mobile

SumAznGuy 12-16-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexchiu444 (Post 7229847)
^ +1

It's suppose to be a 2 hour limit but no one cares about it. I've driven up there a couple of times and estimate that 70+% of the cars outside park overnight. (It's been easy to spot lately cause they're all covered with snow). Apparently that area isn't covered by campus security and it's rare for the city to send trucks up the hill to issue tickets.

It's also a hot spot for students looking for free parking. They can pretty much park there the whole day without having to pay SFU a couple hundred of $$ for their parking. Just wait till Spring, it will only get worse up there.

In the spring, I saw just once, parking enforement up there handing out parking tickets. There was a rusted first gen Caravan full of painting equipment and expired plates that was parked in the same spot, 5 ft from the sign, for 2 weeks and not once did I see a parking ticket. :flamemad:

SumAznGuy 08-28-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7226258)

So what do I do when one of my neighbors park like this?

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5881436_n.jpg

goo3 08-29-2011 03:00 AM

Talk to them (nicely).

wing_woo 08-29-2011 11:02 AM

Some lady who used to live across the street always did that. She'd park right up against your bumper every time. To make things worse, she actually does a U-turn to park on our side of the street instead of on her own side.

My neighbour, whom this lady tends to park behind finally got fed up with it and just backed her Impala into it whenever she needs to get out of her spot (mind you, these are the old 70's one with chrome bumpers). She didn't care about her car and assumed that lady didn't either if she was gonna keep parking like that. I think the lady saw her ram into her Accord one day finally and she always left room after that.

LSF22 08-29-2011 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:fulloffuck:
Attachment 7734

melloman 08-30-2011 07:51 AM

In Burnaby, the 72 hour rule applies to cars with expired tags..
If you report the vehicle to the city, you'll see a traffic cop come by and leave a small piece of pink/red paper stating that you have 72 hours to move the car from the premises.

Yet this comes from the by-law that "no car without active plates can be parked on any give city street." Must be park solely on your property.

But ya, the 1-1/2 car thing gets old but it's life.. Keep a pad and paper and just write a note to them telling them to learn how to fucking park next time and not to be a douche.

kiwee 10-09-2015 08:10 PM

Pulling an old thread up.

The following situation is not based on commercial vehicle.

Today I parked about a block and a half near my work place in a residential area. When I came back to my car I notice a note saying I should not park in front of the house. The person also parked very tightly closely to my front bumper (no scratches). The street has no signs, there's a side walk and everyone always park their car there for 6-8 hrs. The car behind me didn't receive a note (Probably because I parked right in front the gate entrance and forced them to walk a couple more steps.)

So questions is, is it illegal for me to park more then 6-8 hrs? I usually need to run errands during lunch time (I work 930-530) and that last an hour or two. On the city of Vancouver website it says I'm only allow to park 3 hours max. I could find a different spot to park but I would like to know if I did something illegal. Thanks!

Parking when there is no signage | City of Vancouver

Alby 10-10-2015 12:22 PM

nothing illegal, just restricted to 3 hours max.