REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Business Students (esp. bcit b.tech): How useful is a laptop to you?

I'm debating whether or not to purchase a laptop for the next year as I finish a degree. The only benefits that I can see are;
  1. I can consolidate all of my less-used notes in PDF format and effectively access them anytime I want.
  2. I'd have a computer I can use at a moment's notice.

Notes;
  • Computers at school shouldn't be too difficult to find if I ever needed to use one.
  • I prefer handwriting my notes before they get typed out (if they get typed out at all)
  • Out of pocket money is not an issue. I'll be using airmiles (though, to be honest, I'd prefer to use my airmiles for something less utilitarian).

Can anyone here think of a really compelling argument why a laptop would be worth having?
Advertisement
polvoronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Giant distraction. My resolution for the next semester is not to ever take my laptop and just keep incredibly organized notes instead. It does have its pros, but if you don't have enough self discipline its a giant distraction.
Posted via RS Mobile
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I had one for first semester and it was alright. In second semester I figured out that it was easier to handwrite my notes because theres all these charts and stuff. Also, I learned more by writing them out than typing them. If you wanted to study off electronic notes, I'm sure you have some friends who will help you out.

oh also the huge distraction part.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #4

Good points. I'll save the miles.
polvoronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #5

laptop is extremely useful. not for everycourse, but at least half of all courses you get will probably find a laptop necessary in some way

- saves you from printing off slides (for lectures with slides)
- allows you to do word processing, excel, visio, any other comp. related work on the fly (as you eat lunch in a cafe, etc)
- saves you the hassle of going to a library to do computer work midway through the day
- allows you to play with programs as you get lectured on them (like for database courses)

those are only 3 main points but i find youll notice they'll be weighted heavily
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I never bothered with a laptop except in cases where I really needed one because its a big distraction. Look around at the people with laptops in your class - most of them are probably on facebook or revscene, not looking at notes.

Its also way easier to organize handwritten notes. Plus you absorb the material more. Your bag is lighter and you don't have to worry about your laptop being stolen. I like to just carry a binder and pen and thats it.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
i did not see the use of a laptop in the first 2 years of my 4 year program.
the last 2 had a lot of group meetings, and presentations where a laptop increase my productivity and efficiency.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I would get the laptop HOWEVER, only use it outside of lecture. Its really important for outside of lecture use such as powerpoints/presentations.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Laptop would really depend on the courses you have to take. It'll be hard to effectively utilize a laptop if you had to draw lots of diagrams or write lots of numbers/formulas for courses. However, if it's a course with lots of just written notes, then laptop would come in very handy as you can power type all your notes in your lectures instead of handwriting it.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Lectures laptop was a distraction for me. I handwrite all my notes now which I find really helps me retain a lot of information since some of the notes you have to put into your own words instead of simply transforming what you hear into words into a word document. Then when it comes to studying, again, my hand written notes have worked much better compared to laptop (which, again, becomes a distraction when trying to study).

However, if you're doing a lot of group work where you're going (I was at BCIT before so LOTS of group work) to school a laptop is going to make your life a lot easier since you won't need to hunt for a computer every single time. With a laptop meetings were easy to organize and projects were a lot easier to work on since all we would need is a big table and power outlets and off we went. Not to mention when you're researching on your own computer its easier for you to organize all your work/findings instead of constantly saving on a flashdrive or emailing it out.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
I am Hook'd on RS

I had a laptop my 1st year, and it was a terrible distraction. Like many people here, I did all my note taking hand written and it was more efficient that way.

The only use I had with it was presentations and group projects.
imo waste of money... in lectures.
bigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Solutions:
Stay off the internet during lecture.
Use digicam to take picture of the graph/whatever the prof throws on the board/projector.

I write slow, so having a laptop through post-secondary was a huge help to me.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

don't do it lol, taking notes by hand is much better than doing it with a laptop. like everybody else said above, a laptop is your worst friend if you want to do well. If the prof has slides you can download, print them out and take notes on them instead.
t8v6 is offline   Reply With Quote