REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #426
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
2 articles, liberal reaction

Quote:
Province demands Port Mann Bridge be fixed
Province says contractor should pay for safety changes

Jason Howe

SURREY (NEWS1130) – The province is telling the contractor of the Port Mann Bridge to “fix it.”

The BC government wants a solution to the ice bombs that fell on cars yesterday as they drove across the new bridge.

Transportation Minister Mary Polak says she was horrified to hear ice was shattering windshields of cars that crossed the bridge. “This was an absolutely unacceptable situation.”

Polak says she is asking for a permanent fix, but also an immediate solution. “We expected through the contract that they would be able to deliver on a bridge that would not see these accumulations of ice and snow, and certainly would not see them falling into lanes of traffic.”

Polak says the fix should not come at the cost of taxpayers.
Province demands Port Mann Bridge be fixed | News1130

Quote:
Minister blasts bridge firm after ice pelts down on cars, injures two people
Keven Drews

COQUITLAM, B.C. – British Columbia’s transportation minister has slammed the international contractor that built the newly-opened Port Mann Bridge, saying the forced closure of the span, only weeks after it opened, is an intolerable situation and that the firm should have been aware of potential problems.

More than 100 insurance claims were filed after chunks of ice pelted down onto vehicles from the bridge’s suspension cables during a snowstorm on Wednesday. Two people were injured and the bridge, which links the Vancouver area to populous southern suburbs, was closed for several hours.

“We will not live with the bridge in that way,” Mary Polak told a news conference.

“When you purchase a product in a store, when you build a bridge for $3.3 billion, you believe that it will work. You expect it will work. When it doesn’t work you seek for redress to that. You seek for someone to refund your money or you seek for someone to resolve the problem.”

Polak said that’s what the province will be doing.

“Taxpayers will not be on the hook for this and we will ensure that we have a bridge that is safe for the travelling public to use and that an event like this has a permanent solution to see that it doesn’t happen again.”

Polak said her ministry was “alive” to snow and ice being a potential problem on the bridge before it was built and there were specifications in the contract to address the concern.

“Clearly, what we saw yesterday shows that they did not meet those requirements.”

The bridge was built by Kiewit-Flatiron General Partnership. The company said in a statement it was working to figure out where the problem is and find a solution quickly.

“We’re very concerned about the recent weather issues impacting motorists on the Port Mann Bridge,” said the statement from Thomas Janssen, director of external affairs for the company.

“With the recent severe weather conditions, it’s evident there is an issue that needs to be closely reviewed and addressed.”

The Crown agency that operates the bridge will pay the deductibles of drivers whose vehicles were damaged in the incident. Tolls for travellers who crossed the bridge between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesday will also be waived.

Prof. Tom Brown, an engineering professor at the University of Calgary known to his students as Dr. Ice, said he’s confident the problem can be fixed.

Brown has worked on offshore oil rigs and Prince Edward Island’s Confederation Bridge and said sometimes, problems slip through despite the best work by experts.

“This is certainly a concern because I would kind of imagine that the conditions under which it occurred, the atmospheric conditions in Vancouver, could well occur again,” he said in an interview.

“I don’t know what the fix will be, but it’s certainly a fixable problem.”

Brown said cold weather, high humidity, precipitation and wind all play roles in allowing ice to form on the bridge cables and eventually fall off. The ice bonds to the cold cables and when the wind whips up, it starts a vibration on the cables that eventually knocks loose the ice.

Brown said Vancouver’s rapid temperature fluctuations from cold to warm can also break off heavy ice chunks as they begin to melt.

Last January, the Tacoma Narrows Bridge near Seattle was shut down due to falling ice from bridge cables on a Kiewit-built bridge.

Alice Fiman, a spokeswoman at the Washington state Department of Transportation, said the problem was called “weather-related” at the time.

Fiman said Kiewit completed construction on the twin suspension bridges in 2007, and since then the span has been closed only once due to falling ice.

Mike Proudfoot, CEO of the Transportation Investment Corporation which operates the bridge, said the bridge is a significant crossing, the second-longest cable-stayed bridge in North America.

Building it required a “certain expertise.”

“We have the best firms in the world engaged in the design and delivery of this project, both as the original designers and as the independent checkers.”

Proudfoot said provisions had been made to prevent such snow accumulations.

“It hasn’t transpired as expected,” he said.

Possible solutions to the problem include heating the cables, the use of vibrations or coatings, as well as manual and mechanical methods for removal.

“We expect some answers on that very shortly.”

The Port Mann Bridge opened eight lanes Dec. 1 and was touted to slash commute times of up to an hour for some people.

Cars and small trucks crossing the Port Mann are electronically assessed an introductory $1.50 toll, but the levy will rise to $3.00 per crossing by next December, with varied rates applying to larger trucks and motorists using special passes.

— With files from Dirk Meissner in Victoria
Minister blasts bridge firm after ice pelts down on cars, injures two people | News1130
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #427
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
You left out one major factor: hindsight is 20/20.

There are dozens if not hundreds of bridges of this basic design (tower/cable stayed) in the world, some (many?) of them with cables over the roadway, most without. Some are in warmer climates, some colder; some will experience snow and ice, some won't. Most have been in operation for years if not decades.

In all that, with a collective dozens if not hundreds of winters behind the design, it's apparent that a situation like this, to this severity, has not happened before - if it had, the design would have been modified to mitigate the risks, a long time ago.

So here you have a very particular combination of design and weather events that have conspired to create a very specific set conditions, quite possibly for the first time *ever*... so they were supposed to have planned for this based on, what... experience?

It's easy for all the armchair engineers to look at it now and say, "duh, why didn't they think of that?".
Now hold on a minute, I don't want to start an argument, this will be my last post on the subject.

But step back and read what I wrote, then what you wrote for a second.

The very first thing I wrote in my post was that there would be a lot of data to consider before any decisions would be made. My post was meant to illustrate a general point of the variables and factors that would be placed into consideration. I didn't even make a claim to whether or not I believed this bridge's design is flawed.

In your post, if we read in between the lines, you're making a claim in defense of the bridge's design by saying in laymen's speak "there's a lot of these bridges in similar climates all over the world, there must be enough of these bridges to build up enough confidence to make an assumption that this design is not flawed, and we can not expect it to happen again in the future".

I think between you and I the only armchair engineer is yourself. I work closely with engineers, their spec, and design, and in my post I've simply shared an opinion into the extent of the analysis they would conduct for a problem like this, I've made no claims whatsoever. On the other hand you've made a claim that the bridge must be safe because there's probably lots of similar bridges built in similar environments all over the world (I'd definitely love to see this data, I would paypal you some extra cash to buy yourself something decent for the holidays. Show me the data and I'll show you the money)

You make a terrible armchair engineer by the way. Everything from the angle of the cables, the air pressure, humidity, seismic vibrations, etc, all of these variables cannot be exactly the same somewhere else in the world. That is absolute bullshit. And any combination of these variables could correlate to a greater chance of the ice forming. If they happen often enough, the bridge has a major design flaw. If it's just this one time, then it was bad luck that it had to happen right when the bridge opened up. But if you took the time to read and comprehend my fairly written post, you would see the only person acting as a failed armchair engineer between us is you.

Last edited by alpinestars; 12-20-2012 at 11:55 PM.
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #428
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Deductibles from damage caused on the Port Mann yesterday will be waived. Also, no tolls will be charged from 10am -6pm.

As per Mike Proudfoot, TI CEO
I'm hoping they don't charge for using the Goldenears either since we had to use a alternative bridge. I crossed heading west while the the ice was falling and then 2 hours later going to langley they shut It down and traffic was forced into coquitlam. I'm gonna call and bitch
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #429
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Final Destination 6.....
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #430
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
God damnit!!!

Just got an email that my Visa was charged $300 from treo. I've been over the bridge 4 times in 2 pre-registered vehicles. There's no way I owe them anything.

Also, apparently, 2 of my trucks are designated as medium vehicles, even though they meet the requirements for small vehicles (<6M and 2 axles). Fullsize, ext cab, shortbox.

Just got off the phone with them to get this straightened out and the CSR is telling me it might take a week to get the transaction reversed...a fucking week?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #431
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
"More than 100 insurance claims were filed after chunks of ice pelted down onto vehicles from the bridge’s suspension cables during a snowstorm on Wednesday."

Who wants to bet that a good number of those are bogus, from people trying to cash in for other damages?

ICBC: "Ummm, sorry sir, but I don't think you're going to convince me the big, perfectly-round dent in your BACK bumper is from an ice bomb..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #432
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
^at least they can confirm with treo if they were actually on the bridge during the time. Just need to know if it was an ice bomb :/
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #433

Finally, some answers.

First, my trucks were designated in the wrong category, (medium vs. small), thus putting them at a higher cost.

Secondly, the person who registered the vehicles back in November, took it upon himself to also sign me up for monthly passes.

$300 = cost for monthly pass for medium vehicle.

Anyways, I got one truck in the correct size category (other one hasn't crossed yet) and waiting for the charges to be reversed. It's pretty obvious that I don't cross enough to warrant needing a monthly pass.

The CSR I talked to today actually had a clue what was going on and was very helpful. ICBC has 10 vehicle classifications, whereas trEo has 4. When trEo uses ICBC's database, sometimes the vehicles fall into the wrong category. So pay close attention to your crossing history and make sure your car's in the correct size category.

FYI, if you're a frequent user and sign up for a monthly pass, they're on introductory rates (small vehicles only) til the end of the month. $75/mo vs. $150/mo and you can get this price until October.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #434
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
Finally, some answers.
... snip
I don't take the Port Mann bridge, so the information is irrelevant to me.

However, when someone takes the time to post up useful information, you deserve a thanks!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #435
My homepage has been set to RS

I've crossed a bunch of times and nothing in my account online yet... ? I thought it would be fairly quick to update. First time I crossed was almost 3 weeks ago and yet nothing has shown up

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #436
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,452 Times in 146 Posts
That's strange. I've crossed 3 times now and all 3 have shown up on my account. Only took a day or two to show up.
jepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #437
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Weren't the cables supposed to be heated originally?
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #438
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
I think there are around 280 cables...

bchydro would have to open a new sub station just to provide power for the cable warmers.
BMW M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #439
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M5 View Post
I think there are around 280 cables...

bchydro would have to open a new sub station just to provide power for the cable warmers.
That wasn't the question, but alright.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #440
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
no they were not. They had some sort of spray on them that was supposed to prevent ice/snow build up and that of course didn't work.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #441
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Not exactly... according to the articles, that was considered as an available option and determined not to be worth the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #442
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
flip what kind of truck do you have? I'm hoping I don't get charged as a medium..
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #443

If your truck is under 6M long and only has 2 axles, it should be a small.

Mine is a fullsize Chev, ext. cab, shortbox. My other one (hasn't crossed yet) is a fullsized Dodge, ext. cab, longbox, dually. Both meet the requirements as small vehicles.

RSUV #7
Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #444

Quote:
If your truck is under 6M long and only has 2 axles, it should be a small.

Mine is a fullsize Chev, ext. cab, shortbox. My other one (hasn't crossed yet) is a fullsized Dodge, ext. cab, longbox, dually. Both meet the requirements as small vehicles.
Mine's over 6m but is 2 axles. Full size Dodge, same as yours but not a dually.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #445

You can always call and have them change the designation. Have you crossed yet and been charged for a medium? Don't mention it's over length btw.

RSUV #7
Old 01-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #446

Quote:
You can always call and have them change the designation. Have you crossed yet and been charged for a medium? Don't mention it's over length btw.
Ya just checked, i'm getting charged correctly. And it's only $1.12 if you cross in the HOV lane weow!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #447

oh shit, totally HOVing it

RSUV #7
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #448
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I've crossed a bunch of times and nothing in my account online yet... ? I thought it would be fairly quick to update. First time I crossed was almost 3 weeks ago and yet nothing has shown up
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
That's strange. I've crossed 3 times now and all 3 have shown up on my account. Only took a day or two to show up.
Mine registered right away
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #449
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
oh shit, totally HOVing it
Bringing out the ol' inflate-a-mate, eh?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #450
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
i heard the engineer had it written in the spec to ensure the bridge had a means to adequately deal with snow/ice and the contractor interpreted it as to use the spray stuff as it would be the cheaper option.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote