REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #526
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post

Shitty transitions at:
Drop off just before Willingdon Westbound
Just after Grandview Hwy Overpass Westbound
Eastbound just before Kensington
Eastbound just before Gaglardi

Southbound to the Alex Fraser coming off the East/West Connector which is the most uninspiring highway name ever.
There is a curve before spaghetti junction forces six lanes into three and we all get on the bridge, right next to the New Westminster-branded digital billboard. I drove over that thing going 80km one night and thought I'd crack my wheels in half. Its not the main bridge but the smaller one going over the train tracks/Queensborough houses/etc.
Advertisement
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #527
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The "lets get it done and get out of here" mentality may come from the fact that they are not going to close MAJOR arteries for the morning commute? :/
They shoulda just closed off Highway 1 and got'er dun. That shit woulda been finished in two weeks without having to cater to all the stupid commuters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #528
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The "lets get it done and get out of here" mentality may come from the fact that they are not going to close MAJOR arteries for the morning commute? :/

You think adding that HOV off-ramp before gaglardi is as simple as a guy with a rake? Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
I'm not saying full ramps man.. I'm just talking about the 2" difference in road surface between old pavement and new asphalt

Am I really that unclear here?!?!
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #529
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:

Yes. I, for one, would like you to call upon your artistic talents to draw us a diagram.

Please include an overhead map of the area as well as an elevation cutaway so we may understand further.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #530
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Please put X's and O's like they do on Sunday night football.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #531

Quote:
I'm not saying full ramps man.. I'm just talking about the 2" difference in road surface between old pavement and new asphalt

Yeah, I think the point is, there's a lot more going on than worrying about a little bump in the pavement.
Quote:
Old 09-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #532
RS controls my life!

Quote:
My only complaint because I know its still a construction zone is how they do the transitions from old road to new asphalt..

Some sections are a nice smooth transition, but at Westbound just after Grandview Hwy overpass they legit just cut the line with a 2x4 and I SLAM my wheels into it every fucking time. I even slow down to 60 and cause a fucking backup to try and not hit it as hard.

If I get a bent wheel.. I'll freak.
You know how you're saying you would freak? , guess who freaked last night at 2 am.... Dropped off my rim at Panther wheels today $125 to fix and ordering a tire online now because it split the tire about 2 inches right along the bead line right before the sidewall starts $250 later for 1 super sport with tirerack shave job later since I can't go with a brand new tire on AWD

Last edited by eurochevy; 09-18-2013 at 03:49 PM.
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #533
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Yup, I've caught air on a shitty transition. Luckily, I was on my way back from aircare, so I had super tall tires on.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #534

BTW, new ramp from MHB westbound onto Lougheed westbound is now open! MASSIVE improvement!
Quote:
Old 09-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #535

The elevated part? I'll have to check it out tonight.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #536
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurochevy View Post
You know how you're saying you would freak? , guess who freaked last night at 2 am.... Dropped off my rim at Panther wheels today $125 to fix and ordering a tire online now because it split the tire about 2 inches right along the bead line right before the sidewall starts $250 later for 1 super sport with tirerack shave job later since I can't go with a brand new tire on AWD

Bad roadworks highway 1 burnaby - YouTube
What you doing driving so close to the shoulder? The only way I would run into that pothole is if I was distracted by a cute chick in a really tight blue dress prancing across the road.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #537
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
This is nothing like most other highway projects. This isn't a simple re-paving - they have to widen the road, a piece at a time, in some places adding overpasses, new ramps, water passages, and in general completely re-aligning most of the road, all while maintaining three working lanes each direction 15 hours of the day.

In most cases, this widening means creating new TEMPORARY lanes, shifting all the traffic over to it, ripping up old lanes, re-laying those, shifting PART of the traffic back over, re-doing the remaining old potions, THEN finally paving the whole lot as one smooth piece. Some areas, they've had to do the expansion of each direction separately because the lanes are at different levels. Some areas have required whole new overpasses to accommodate the width.

The new Cape Horn interchange alone has been a MASSIVE project of simultaneously re-aligning and inter-connecting three major routes, AND re-aligning operating rail lines in the process.

The logistics of the roadbuilding itself go beyond MOST other projects, and are further complicated by the need to KEEP THE TRAFFIC MOVING BETWEEN 5AM and 8PM EVERY DAY.

I don't know why either, since you clearly are unable to see anything beyond your own car's bumper. Your statement, "there have been countless highway projects like this..." makes it obvious you have no understanding or appreciation of the sheer scope of the PMH1 project.

But by all means, do keep coming back, my FAIL button needs a good workout.

(And no, I don't work for Kiewit, the Province, or anyone else even remotely involved in this project... I'm just a tradesman who has to drive all over the Lower Mainland on a daily basis, has watched all this come together over the last three years or so, and greatly appreciates the improvements already seen, and those yet to come, all of which make my travel easier and less stressful, and my work day shorter.)
I am an engineer. I work for an industrial construction company who was the GC on a $1.5 billion copper and gold mine. Yes, I know absolutely nothing of construction, logistics, or big projects... But please do continue to explain to me how paving a fucking flat piece of land is so difficult compared to basically BUILDING AN ENTIRE FUCKING REFINERY IN THE MIDDLE OF BUTT FUCK NOWHERE.

Also the projects I referenced are mountain passes (97C) these are canyon routes (as in they twist and turn on a road that is carved into the side of a mountain with a sheer cliff on one side). For much of that project they added two lanes onto the existing roadway (as Lomac pointed out). This was probably far more complicated than paving a little more of the shoulder as they are doing on the #1.

I am not saying the highway is not going to be great once they are done, just that they could take a little care in making sure the way they leave the highway is in slightly better condition, and again I am not complaining about places where they might not have had a chance to finish something up overnight, and it was fixed the next day. I am talking about clear failures that have now been left for months unfixed.

Quote:
^^ I didn't know it was so hard to make a smooth transition. Considering all they'd have to do is thin out the asphalt at the end where the new asphalt ends. This requires 1 guy, with a rake, and then the roller goes over it.

Seems SOOOOOO hard.

They've done it at:
Westbound just after Kensington.
Westbound just after 1st ave
Westbound just before Cassiar Tunnel
Eastbound just after Ironworkers Bridge
Eastbound just after Cassiar Tunnel
Eastbound just after Willingdon

They do it in LOTS of places. Then the other times they just say "Fuck it I'm lazy, lets just get this done and lets get the fuck out of here."

Shitty transitions at:
Drop off just before Willingdon Westbound
Just after Grandview Hwy Overpass Westbound
Eastbound just before Kensington
Eastbound just before Gaglardi
Thanks for re-affirming exactly what I mean, it would not take very long to add a 1' asphalt ramp instead of a 2" 90 degree curb.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #538
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
What you doing driving so close to the shoulder? The only way I would run into that pothole is if I was distracted by a cute chick in a really tight blue dress prancing across the road.
He was going left to go up the ramp there. during the day this is easy to spot and avoid, but at night if you do not know it is there, its something that can be missed, and it is actually exactly in the path of where you would drive to take that ramp.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #539
MG1

I usually give a bit of space before going onto/off of any ramp and not hug the shoulder. Shoulders have debris in them (parts off cars, retreads, rocks, condoms, needles, j/k).

just saiyan

Old 09-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #540
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I am not saying the highway is not going to be great once they are done, just that they could take a little care in making sure the way they leave the highway is in slightly better condition, and again I am not complaining about places where they might not have had a chance to finish something up overnight, and it was fixed the next day. I am talking about clear failures that have now been left for months unfixed.

Thanks for re-affirming exactly what I mean, it would not take very long to add a 1' asphalt ramp instead of a 2" 90 degree curb.
Thank you........... exactly what I wanted to say, except you said it better.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #541

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurochevy View Post

Bad roadworks highway 1 burnaby - YouTube
Forward the bill to the city. Show them the video and say the roadway was in an inadequate condition. They might say the same thing as MG1, and ask why you were so close to the shoulder. But it clearly shows you trying to change lanes into the new lane.

Hope you get some sort of compensation.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #542

Quote:
BTW, new ramp from MHB westbound onto Lougheed westbound is now open! MASSIVE improvement!
Drove it from MHB to Hwy 1 West, Hwy 1 East to MHB, and Lougheed East to MHB. Vast improvement and no lights!!!

The one thing that made me laugh is that there's a short tunnel with a sign that reads: Tunnel Closed When Lights Flashing but it's mounted on the face of the entrance and it's one-way. So if you're about to go through the tunnel and it's closed, you're totally fucked...lol.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #543
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I haven't vetted the information, but this is just a fascinating read. Sources are provided.

Sightline: British Columbia?s Traffic Delusion | Price Tags

If this IS actually the forecast for traffic, we're going to be boned.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #544

You'd think driving home to Surrey from Vancouver at 1AM would mean an empty freeway and quick trip.

Little did I know....

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #545
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

the traffic is worse at night than it is during the day...
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #546
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Just because thats when they are trying to get a lot of the work finished, It's like playing mario kart while baked lol
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #547
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Forward the bill to the city. Show them the video and say the roadway was in an inadequate condition. They might say the same thing as MG1, and ask why you were so close to the shoulder. But it clearly shows you trying to change lanes into the new lane.

Hope you get some sort of compensation.
no city doesn't pay for pot holes, at least not like that. Besides apparently its kiewit's jurisdiction not the city
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I haven't vetted the information, but this is just a fascinating read. Sources are provided.

Sightline: British Columbia?s Traffic Delusion | Price Tags

If this IS actually the forecast for traffic, we're going to be boned.
Probably a lot of it is because people are short-sighted morons and will add an hour to their commute and burn an extra $10 of gas a day, rather than pay a fucking buck-fifty toll, just to show they're pissed off. "Yeah, I don't like the cost of shoes, so I'm just gonna shoot myself in the foot. That'll show those price-gouging shoe companies!"

Biggest reason to put a small (maybe $1) toll on EVERY crossing: people can stop being idiots about it and just go back to taking the route that, I don't know, MAKES SENSE??
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #549
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
driving on hwy 1 at night is more entertaining. you get to watch the idiots who speed, slam on the brakes when they need to merge into a different lane
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #550
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Probably a lot of it is because people are short-sighted morons and will add an hour to their commute and burn an extra $10 of gas a day, rather than pay a fucking buck-fifty toll, just to show they're pissed off. "Yeah, I don't like the cost of shoes, so I'm just gonna shoot myself in the foot. That'll show those price-gouging shoe companies!"
Sounds exactly like those that voted HST out... that oughta teach those Liberals a lesson!
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: