REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #576
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
If I made that commute every day, i think i would go crazy waiting in the congestion and having to deal with the last minute lane cutters every single day. For my own mental health that $6 would be money well spent even if it didn't save me any time.
It isn't just the last minute lane cutters that I hate -- the ones letting them in are every bit as guilty.

As a rule, I NEVER let these last minute lane cutters butt in.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #577
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^I'm one of those people, but I'm against traffic and there's no lineup at 128th St. and I time it so I catch gaps from people not going as fast lol.

When there's a lineup, I tend to feel bad enough to wait in line. I never cut in at the border, and follow your stance when I'm waiting in line to cross lol
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #578
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
I read the report and it says that traffic has actually increased during peak periods (rush hour), and that traffic will divert to the free crossings during off peak periods (such as weekends).
The new bridge has also pushed the morning rush hour to peak out at 7am instead of 6am. So many people are choosing to save time, but will spend the extra time waiting for free crossings during the weekends when they have the time to do it.

So is the new bridge a failure? I wouldn't quite say that yet.

http://www.pmh1project.com/Policy%20...ary%202014.pdf
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #579
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
to be a complete hypocrite, I avoid the Port Mann and take the Patullo because of the $3, and even when it was $1.50. But I don't have to go out of my way to take the free bridge, and its not a trip i make frequently.
That doesn't make you a hypocrite, that just makes you efficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #580
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
I read the report and it says that traffic has actually increased during peak periods (rush hour), and that traffic will divert to the free crossings during off peak periods (such as weekends).
The new bridge has also pushed the morning rush hour to peak out at 7am instead of 6am. So many people are choosing to save time, but will spend the extra time waiting for free crossings during the weekends when they have the time to do it.

So is the new bridge a failure? I wouldn't quite say that yet.

http://www.pmh1project.com/Policy%20...ary%202014.pdf
I would never call the new bridge a failure. For me at least, even with the $3 toll, if it can save me a good chunk of time compared to the old bridge (and it does), then it is already a success.

I still think $3 per crossing is a bit high, and the discounted rate of $1.50 would have been a much better price that resulted in higher usage (and is thus more ideal from a civic transportation plan pov). But hey, it is good to have the new bridge with the much higher capacity.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #581
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
You can get from 160th to first ave in 15 minutes or less on most days even during peak hours

I'd say that's a fucking massive success from what it was 6 years ago.
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #582

^Totally agree. It still boggles my mind how fast I can get to Langley from Burnaby regardless of peak/non-peak. It has actually opened my options on potential job locations if it came down to it (as in, I wouldn't think to avoid east of the Port Mann because of "traffic" issues).
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #583
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,509 Times in 4,901 Posts
I used to take Port Mann when it was $1.50 one way. Loved it. Now that it has doubled, I take SFPR and the Pattullo. If I drove the truck, the slight detour would not be worth it, but when I get close to 35 MPG on the little car, the detour makes sense. I leave at around 5:30 AM and come back at around 1:45 pm. I lose about 10 minutes of time each way. There's no way it costs me 6 bucks in gas extra.

I would take the Port Mann in a heartbeat if it was $1.50 each way. That, to me, was a decent and fair amount.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 02-07-2014 at 08:36 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #584
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm curious how much the traffic has changed on the Golden Ears now. Lots of people avoided it because the Port Mann was free but now that it's not...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #585

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
35mpg...what do you drive?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #586
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
89blkcivic
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #587
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
You can get from 160th to first ave in 15 minutes or less on most days even during peak hours

I'd say that's a fucking massive success from what it was 6 years ago.
Posted via RS Mobile
I wonder if they could have accomplished that by just tolling the old port Mann and having drivers flock to the free routes to avoid the toll. Semisrs
Posted via RS Mobile
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #588
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

1. They need a calculator for the dumbasses that drive out of their way to take the Pattullo over the Port Mann. It would show how much extra in gas/time it's costing them to take Pattullo.

2. Heading towards Pattullo on Scott Road is full of asshole truck drivers and other drivers that cut in from the turning lane. They need to police that shit cause traffic crawls when they all these assholes do that.

3. Truck traffic has increased by a lot on Pattullo as the toll for them on Port Mann is $9 each way. They should lower this fee or ban trucks on the Pattullo. That bridge isn't made for trucks and most times you have shitty drivers turning on their hazards and taking up both lanes.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #589

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
They should have simply banned heavy trucks from the Patullo a decade ago.
Posted via RS Mobile
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #590

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
It's k. The Patullo's going to be rebuilt soon, and it will have a toll on it aswell. So they'll be stuck heading to Alex Fraser which is already fucked during peak hours.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #591
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
1. They need a calculator for the dumbasses that drive out of their way to take the Pattullo over the Port Mann. It would show how much extra in gas/time it's costing them to take Pattullo.

2. Heading towards Pattullo on Scott Road is full of asshole truck drivers and other drivers that cut in from the turning lane. They need to police that shit cause traffic crawls when they all these assholes do that.

3. Truck traffic has increased by a lot on Pattullo as the toll for them on Port Mann is $9 each way. They should lower this fee or ban trucks on the Pattullo. That bridge isn't made for trucks and most times you have shitty drivers turning on their hazards and taking up both lanes.
OK, here's the math. I save 6 bucks a day going to and from Abbotsford via Pattullo. That's 30 bucks a week. I use just over that much of gas in a week. Mind you, I get cheap gas in Sumas. In any case, it makes total sense for me.

As for your "asshole truck drivers" comment, those guys carry goods that you and I use. There's no need to vent your frustrations on them.

Just as apropriate a comment to you, buddy, move out of New West and save yourself the aggravation, so you don't have to call people azzholes. I won't even get into you calling people "dumbasses" for taking an alternative route. I would only take offense if it had come from someone a little more level headed.

I get it...... you're pissed off, but just state it in a nicer way, that's all. The world is already fucked up without your contributions.

god bless...............

Old 02-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #592
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
. I lose about 10 minutes of time each way. There's no way it costs me 6 bucks in gas extra.
10 minutes is worth less than $3 to you?
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #593
MG1

Yes, when you get to my age 10 minutes is a drop in the bucket. I guess 10 minutes of you playing a video game is hella important..............

see? I just judged you like you judged me.

nuff said

plus, I get up at 5 in the morning, even though I start 8:30 am. Oh no......... I wasted precious sleep time. As I heard from a show I watched last night. Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead. I'd rather spend 10 extra minutes doing what I like doing.............. driving. I find excuses to drive anywhere. On a whim, I head down to Portland. You know why? 'Cause I fucking can.

Spoiler!

Last edited by MG1; 02-11-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #594
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Not getting into the debate over people avoiding tolls.

What I will say is this:

Now that the project is damn near complete, the entire effort from my perspective is a complete success. Everything is pretty well thought out and built well and should serve us well for many years to come.

I was very critical of different portions of this project as it was proggresing (related to management of the open roadways and progression of work), nothing will change the fact that I believe the project was probably better off being handled by someone like SNC Lavalin over Kiewit/Flatiron. But my point is that now after seeing the final product, I am happy to report that I think its a huge success...

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #595
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Not getting into the debate over people avoiding tolls.

What I will say is this:

Now that the project is damn near complete, the entire effort from my perspective is a complete success. Everything is pretty well thought out and built well and should serve us well for many years to come.

I was very critical of different portions of this project as it was proggresing (related to management of the open roadways and progression of work), nothing will change the fact that I believe the project was probably better off being handled by someone like SNC Lavalin over Kiewit/Flatiron. But my point is that now after seeing the final product, I am happy to report that I think its a huge success...

Spoiler!
I agree with you, my commute from Abby to Burnaby is awesome. Rush hour traffic takes me only 30-40 minutes to get to Burnaby, and there is no longer a slow down at Brunette.
AndroidAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #596
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
One of the rainiest cities in North America, still lacking ample reflectors on major roads.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #597
nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
OK, here's the math. I save 6 bucks a day going to and from Abbotsford via Pattullo. That's 30 bucks a week. I use just over that much of gas in a week. Mind you, I get cheap gas in Sumas. In any case, it makes total sense for me.

As for your "asshole truck drivers" comment, those guys carry goods that you and I use. There's no need to vent your frustrations on them.

Just as apropriate a comment to you, buddy, move out of New West and save yourself the aggravation, so you don't have to call people azzholes. I won't even get into you calling people "dumbasses" for taking an alternative route. I would only take offense if it had come from someone a little more level headed.

I get it...... you're pissed off, but just state it in a nicer way, that's all. The world is already fucked up without your contributions.

god bless...............
1. It sounds like you've clearly thought it through in terms of paying the toll vs. not paying the toll. I'm sure a lot of people haven't though and they add an extra 30+ minutes each way to not pay $3. All the while, buying a $4 Starbucks latte at coffee break. When the lineup is crazy, I pay the $3 and park at Scott Road so that I can take my daughter to daycare on time.

2. I didn't say all truck drivers, just the ones that cut the line as if their time was more valuable than everyone else's. I get it, they supply us with goods, doesn't give them the right to be dicks about it.

3. I live in North Delta actually and heads toward New West for my daughter's day care. Now if I did live in New West and all this truck traffic was in my neighbourhood, I'd be even more pissed. That bridge isn't built for truck traffic and neither is the city of New West. Trucks belong on a road like the South Perimeter Road, not small city streets full of families.

Last edited by nah; 02-11-2014 at 09:51 PM.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
One of the rainiest cities in North America, still lacking ample reflectors on major roads.
Ugh one of the worst stretches is Stewardson heading west (?) towards the Queensborough Bridge from New West. The paint is faded to shit, no cat's eyes to help, and tons of traffic oncoming to hit if you're not careful. I don't drive it that often but when I do, I'm amazed how there aren't more accidents on that stretch.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #599
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
However when we get a 'dump' of snow for 2 days outof the year, the plows dislodge the reflectors into the middle of the lanes or the opposite side, and we end up with no reflectors again
Posted via RS Mobile
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #600
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Bump.

Anybody notice parts of the Coquitlam stretches and Burnaby lake stretches are now 90 km speed limits?

And westbound before Johnson hill is now 90 too

I just wish they would do something for after the merge point eastbound after 200, and westbound from mount Lehman all the way to 200... Always such heavy traffic even during non rush hour times
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote