REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #376
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Abbotsford needs to get in an F-22 or a Flanker this year. As cool as the show is, it's always the same.
Advertisement
T.Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #377
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Goat View Post
Abbotsford needs to get in an F-22 or a Flanker this year. As cool as the show is, it's always the same.
The USAF F22 demo is on the schedule this year, but the fleet is currently grounded so not sure if it will end up at the show.

If it does make it, it's worth the price of entry just to see the demo. The F22 is incredible to watch and it sounds like it's tearing the sky apart, it's got so much thrust. Literally double what the F18 puts out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dly6DQ0fNA
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #378
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Sweet, guess I'll have to head out there this year. Although, watching that video, I'm surprised how much time the Raptor spends with AB's lit. Thought it would disappear a lot faster then that.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #379
I Wanna Go Fast!

Pretty cool photo from the aerial patrol around the final shuttle launch. F15's at 26,000ft watch as the Endeavor punches through the cloud on it's way to orbit:

Old 06-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #380
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

wow great photo
haha13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #381
I Wanna Go Fast!

The world's first privately owned MIG 29 made it's way to the US late last year. Below is a video of it's maiden flight. I don't know if it will be doing any airshows but I would love to see this thing up close:

It's only a matter of time until someone buys an F14.

Couple of my favourite wallpapers from this site: http://aircraft-wallpapers.blogspot.com/
Lots of good photos and wallpapers there.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #382
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I'm not sure if they would sell an old F-14, they probably don't want Iran getting their hands on parts for their Tomcats.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #383
My homepage has been set to RS

not sure if posted earlier,

raf. over france is off bbc website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _54070177_012449360-1.jpg (135.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rafale_by_eldoctor-d3804xk.jpg (172.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg melting_pot_by_eldoctor-d38utfx.jpg (99.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Focus____by_ElDoctor.jpg (79.3 KB, 0 views)
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #384
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I don't know what it is but that last pic^^ Hot damn.

In other news, I sign my life away on the 25th.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #385

AWESOME PIC..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg su30mktz8yc3gy2.jpg (76.5 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #386
I Wanna Go Fast!

Nice photo Tool, you love the Russian fighters eh?

Wanna hear something sick Gab? I scored over 50 on my aptitude test, I'm in the top 20% of all Officer applicants for the CF. They are so desperate for guys to fly fighters they're forcing people onto the Hawk/F18 out of Moose Jaw who don't even want to fly them. But no DEO slots, so I can't even get my eyes tested and bloodwork done so I can be sent to ACS and that won't happen until at least April of next year. I've been waiting 19 months and counting......
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #387
I Wanna Go Fast!

The B2 is BOSS.

Touchdown: B-2 stealth jets return after epic 11,500 mile journey to bomb Libyan aircraft shelters

Six pilots return home safe and sound from a bombing mission to Libya which saw them in the cockpit for an incredible 25 hours.

Three B-2 Spirit bombers, piloted by two men each, made it back after the 11,418-mile round trip from the Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri - where they are kept in special hangars - to Libya, where they hit targets on forces loyal to Colonel Gaddafi and back again.

At $2.1bn, they are the most expensive warplanes in the world and rarely leave their climate-controlled hangars. But when it does, the B-2 bomber makes a spectacularly effective start to a war - including during this weekend's aerial attack on Libya's air defences.

One of three Air Force Global Striek Command B-2 Spirit bombers returning to base at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri.

The two pilots of the B-2 bomber flew for 25 hours on the 12,000 mile round trip to bomb Gaddafi targets.

Touchdown: The skin of the bombers is so sensitive that it has to be kept in special climate controlled shelters where it is taped and cured after every mission.

WHY THE B-2 IS SO DEADLY

Cost: $2.1bn

Range: 6,000 miles

Special features: radar absorbing skin to make it near-impossible to detect. Can carry the GBU-37 'bunker buster' 5,000 lib bomb that can bore 20 to 30 ft through concrete

Capabilities: Two B-2s armed with precision weaponry can do the job of 75 conventional aircraft. Can carry 16 2,000 lb satellite guided bombs

Max speed: 630mph at 40,000 ft

Cruise speed: 560mph at 40,000 ft

Dimensions: 69ft long, 17ft high, 172ft wingspan

Major drawback: Heat and moisture sensitive skin that needs taping and curing after every mission and climate-controlled hangar

Its mission is to penetrate heavily defended enemy territory and 'kick down the door' on the opening night of a conflict. One of its special features is its ability to carry eight GBU-37 'bunker buster' bombs, weighing in at 2.27 tonnes that are capable of boring 20 to 30 ft of rock or reinforced concrete before detonating.

After the first wave of more than 110 Tomahawk missiles launched from allied warships in the Mediterranean, they struck yesterday morning on 'a variety of strategic targets over Libya', according to the US Air Force.

They dropped a total of 45 one-tonne satellite guided missiles on Libyan aircraft shelters before making the 5,709 mile journey back to the Missouri. The B-2 stealth bombers were first used in the Kosovo and Serbian war and have been used more recently in Afghanistan.

The long-range, heavy bomber capable of penetrating sophisticated and dense air-defence, and with one refuelling, is able to fly to any point in the world within hours.

The aircraft is famous for rather ominous-looking bat-like silhouette: The leading edges of the wings are angled at 33° and the trailing edge has a double-W shape. It is manufactured at two Northrop Grumman facilities in Pico Rivera and Palmdale in California.

The aircraft also are deadly and effective: An assessment published by the USAF showed that two B-2s armed with precision weaponry can do the job of 75 conventional aircraft.

That makes it a powerful weapon to strike targets including bunkers, command centres, radars, airfields, air defences.

The B-2 can carry 16 2,000 pound (900 kilogram), satellite-guided bombs, including an earth penetrating version.

Surveying the damage: Libyan army soldiers stand amid the wreckage of the administration building inside Bab Al-Aziziyah, Gaddafi's heavily fortified compound in Tripoli.

As well as the eight 'bunker busters', its bomb bays can carry 16 Joint Air to Surface Standoff Missile (JASSM), which have been tested at ranges 180 miles from the target, or the Joint Standoff Weapon (JSOW), a glide bomb that releases cluster bombs.

A major drawback, however, is the intensive maintenance required by the B-2s, whose heat and moisture sensitive skin must be painstakingly taped and cured after every mission.

In previous conflicts, the maintenance requirements kept the B-2s tethered to their home base at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri.

In Afghanistan, that meant 44-hour bombing runs for their two-member crews, the longest air combat missions in history. It also meant few B-2 missions.

But the air force has built special climate-controlled shelters at bases on the Indian Ocean island of Diego Garcia and at Fairford, Gloucestershire, for B-2s, which were built by Northrop Grumman and first flew in 1989.

Staying awake for the 25-hour mission while being in control of bombs that weigh nearly a tonne is a difficult task and one that tests the mettle of the pilots that take part in such journeys.

It isn't clear how the six pilots on Operation Odyssey Dawn managed to stay awake, but in the past they have used a fold-out bed behind the seats at the controls. It is also possible that they used auto-pilot for the majority of the journey but used manual controls while bombing so that they could keep concentrating on the task at hand.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #388

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
Wanna hear something sick Gab? I scored over 50 on my aptitude test, I'm in the top 20% of all Officer applicants for the CF. They are so desperate for guys to fly fighters they're forcing people onto the Hawk/F18 out of Moose Jaw who don't even want to fly them. But no DEO slots, so I can't even get my eyes tested and bloodwork done so I can be sent to ACS and that won't happen until at least April of next year. I've been waiting 19 months and counting......
Posted via RS Mobile
They didn't tell me what I got. She just said "you did VERY well on your aptitude test" and gave a silent nod of her head, whatever that entails:P That sucks though man, shit's taking a while but by the time you finally get it all sorted you'll be entering same time as me or very close to it.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #389
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Missouri to Libya and back - what would be the optimal refueling strategy?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #390

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
My guess is refueling over UK/France/Germany? Or perhaps the Bay of Biscay?

Whiteman AFB -> refuel over Bay of Biscay using either USAF or NATO tanker asset -> Libya bombing run -> refuel over Bay of Biscay for trip home.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #391
I is Romanian

B2 is $2.1bn (in 1997 dollars, $2.87 billion today)
avinayyar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #392
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
My guess is refueling over UK/France/Germany? Or perhaps the Bay of Biscay?

Whiteman AFB -> refuel over Bay of Biscay using either USAF or NATO tanker asset -> Libya bombing run -> refuel over Bay of Biscay for trip home.
I was wondering if they could do it with only one refuel, but I guess not.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #393
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
hoping it's not a repost.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I was wondering if they could do it with only one refuel, but I guess not.
I'm assuming they want a comfortable reserve margin for fuel... and that they're not trespassing needlessly over other African countries' airspace.

I mean, if they wanted to I think they'd be able to do it with one refueling if they did a straight penetration overland from the western coast of Africa into Libya but I assume that they wouldn't take the risk if it wasn't required and would rather fly over friendly territories and have sea cover from naval ships underneath.
fml
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #395

Quote:
F-22 Pilots Found With Anti-Freeze, Propane in Bloodstream, Fleet Grounded
http://www.minyanville.com/dailyfeed...ts-found-with/
Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #396
Banned By Establishment

Air Force come 2016/17

belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #397
I Wanna Go Fast!

More than 20 Navy Seals among 31 killed by an RPG attack on a CH-47 Chinook Many of them DEVGRU members. Likely a targeted attack against the team that took down Bin Laden.

U.S. official: Killed forces were on Afghanistan rescue mission - CNN.com
Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #398

Is anyone going to the Abbotsford Air Show this year? No F-22 but the A-10 should also be awesome!

RS Mini-Meet?
fml
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #399
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
More than 20 Navy Seals among 31 killed by an RPG attack on a CH-47 Chinook Many of them DEVGRU members. Likely a targeted attack against the team that took down Bin Laden.

U.S. official: Killed forces were on Afghanistan rescue mission - CNN.com
Just cuz a chopper full of SEALs instead of the usual grunts get shot down does not make it a targeted attack.
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #400
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
the A-10 was only alright last year, the CF-18 is by far the highlight of the show in abby

i'll be going on saturday, pretty disapointing though that it looks like there wont even be an CF-18 as a stationary display this year, and i missed it last year :/