REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #1101
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
After countless hours in this thread learning and reading about all sorts of very interesting things that I would have never known outside of this thread, I am curious, are there many members on here who are into the Russian fighters?

I have, in the past few years, really taken a liking to there designs and approach to fighters. Planes like the Su-35 just astound me with there capability.......would be cool to see Canada to rock some Russian jets (will never happen I know).
Advertisement

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #1102
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Actually, the Russians were showcasing their sukhoi's to Canada recently

PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #1103
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
After countless hours in this thread learning and reading about all sorts of very interesting things that I would have never known outside of this thread, I am curious, are there many members on here who are into the Russian fighters?

I have, in the past few years, really taken a liking to there designs and approach to fighters. Planes like the Su-35 just astound me with there capability.......would be cool to see Canada to rock some Russian jets (will never happen I know).
+1.

Im a pretty big fan of the Russian hardware. They just work. Rugged and very capable machines.

The color schemes they rocked were pretty awesome too (Russian "Test Pilots", the SU35 prototype colors, the SU37 Prototype colors)

Cold war era stuff from the soviet union were pretty awesome as well.

Mig 19, 21, 23, 25, 29, 31 and of course.... the TU 95 Bear / TU 160 Blackjacks

good watch on russian hardware. this episode on the MIG 25 programme!

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #1104
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

canada has no use for 'super maneuverability' fighters like the su-35. low speed, low altitude air show tricks aren't relevant in modern BVR combat.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post
Canada has no use for 'super manoeuvrability' fighters like the Su-35. low speed, low altitude air show tricks aren't relevant in modern BVR combat.
They said the same thing in Vietnam and they paid for that.
What do you do when your target comes in to low to be picked up on radar or you flew over a target on the ground and they take off within visual range of you?

F4's over Vietnam discovered quickly that a big fast jet at low altitude designed for BVR is not a good plan.
In theory, BVR is ideal however in the real world it is not always an option. When you are ordered to visually confirm your target the BVR world means nothing and if you have a jet that can not hold its own on a close in fight you may just end up being shot down.

The Su-35, and many other 4th-5th gen fighters have missiles that are more capable than those carried on our jets. Ones like the K-74M2 Archer which can fire over 90degrees off boresight.
If the fight gets in close enough to fire such weapons you will need to be able to do some crazy manoeuvring to defeat these as they have some very advanced systems that are able to defeat the countermeasures used on our planes.

If you truly believe that BVR is the end all then why are all fighters still equipped with cannons?
Ask an old F-4 pilot to explain that one :P

Old 09-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #1106
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Media Release - Department of Defence

Even the Aussies know that the Super Hornet is a stop-gap until the F35 arrives. It's not a competitor as the F35 is far more advanced.
Actually not everyone in Australia is on the same page, like in Canada. This is just one article highlighting that fact:
F-35 Joint Strike Fighter purchase 'a great national scandal' says Coalition MP

If the numbers in that article are true (12.4 billion for 58 aircraft) that's over 213 MILLION DOLLARS PER AIRCRAFT! It doesn't matter if that's in AUD, USD, or CAD - that's a disgusting amount of money. Not to mention the additional 12 BILLION DOLLARS for upgrades and maintenance over a 30 year lifespan, and that's not even for their entire fleet of 72! Additionally, for the (only) two bases the Aussies plan to house the F35's at, their overhauls are going to cost an estimated 1.5 billion dollars. And they're in a much milder and more temperate region than we are.

Australia taking delivery of first F-35, plans to buy 72 - Pacific - Stripes

Numerous independent assessment's of the F35 have slammed it for it's actual capability/cost ratio versus competitors from other nations, most notably those being produced by Russia and China. In this interview with Pierre Spray, an aircraft designer who was involved with the design and production of the F16 and A10, he outlines the F35's major issues:

If an Advanced Super Hornet really does cost 115 million dollars, it's still looking like an almost 2-for-1 bargain compared to the F35. Just adding fuel to the discussion

EDIT - Adding a photo, cause bitches love photos.

Last edited by JD像; 09-12-2014 at 09:57 AM.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #1107

F-35 is a great idea, but poorly executed.

Canada should just buy the Eurofighter and be done with this whole thing.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #1108
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
F-35 is a great idea, but poorly executed.

Canada should just buy the Eurofighter and be done with this whole thing.
has the RCAF operated any european aircraft? i do not follow their inventory well but it always seems to be something north american... politics again?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #1109
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
has the RCAF operated any european aircraft? i do not follow their inventory well but it always seems to be something north american... politics again?
The Hawk, which has proven to be a huge failure. The reason is cost and supply. Imagine having to ship everything back and forth across the Atlantic.

Forgot about the Cormorant, that's a UK/Italian-built machine. But we only have 15.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #1110
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
The Hawk, which has proven to be a huge failure. The reason is cost and supply. Imagine having to ship everything back and forth across the Atlantic.

Forgot about the Cormorant, that's a UK/Italian-built machine. But we only have 15.
oh yeah the comorant... i was not thinking helicopters

not sure if this has been posted before: Aircraft | Royal Canadian Air Force
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #1111

Many other countries buy from supplies that are outside there general area.
The Eurofighter has proven to be very capable, would bring Canada into a more current fighting force and still be cheaper than F35's.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #1112
Banned By Establishment

Oh god you used sprey as a source.

The eurofighter is already out of the running as are other euro aircraft. In the end it will be the f35 regardless what the kids playing video games want.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #1113
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Oh god you used sprey as a source.

The eurofighter is already out of the running as are other euro aircraft. In the end it will be the f35 regardless what the kids playing video games want.
He's not a source for anything. His opinion, which is shared by a lot of people, is merely a discussion point.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #1114
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Guys, I've got the perfect solution.

Let's buy up all the A-10 Warthogs recently decommissioned and use those instead. Sure, we may have to give up some distance and firepower capability, but who cares? They look freakin' awesome.

not srs
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #1115
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Guys, I've got the perfect solution.

Let's buy up all the A-10 Warthogs recently decommissioned and use those instead. Sure, we may have to give up some distance and firepower capability, but who cares? They look freakin' awesome.

not srs
But you're serious about the bolded part, right? Cuz they do look sweet!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #1116

Quote:
Using a GoPro, this F-16 pilot of the Royal Netherlands Airforce immortalized the flight of the first Dutch Boeing 787-8, known as the Dreamliner. The pilot was able to achieve the shot from this angle tahnks to the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System, which provides an inverted face-to-face view.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #1117

Just because I love the F16

Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #1118
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Russian military jets flew within 100 kilometres of Canadian mainland - The Globe and Mail

more canadian arctic flyovers by Russia. this time within 75km of the mainland. but "Canada doesn't need fighters" says the hipsters.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #1119
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Russian military jets flew within 100 kilometres of Canadian mainland - The Globe and Mail

more canadian arctic flyovers by Russia. this time within 75km of the mainland. but "Canada doesn't need fighters" says the hipsters.
I would argue that no one (generaly speaking) is against the procurement of a new fighter jet fleet. What raises questions is the cost of such an undertaking. The numbers in relation to the costs associated with the F35 have been explained ad nauseum. For a fraction of the costs, Canada could revamp its whole fleet with a set of combat aircraft capable of fulfilling Canada's air combat needs. Do we really need to embroil ourselves in an incredibly costly procurement program when less will do?
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #1120
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I vote for Super Hornets now and wait for 6th gen aircraft in 20-25 years, but I really dont know all the behind the scenes politics and business with the JSF program for the F35s. Its hard to be a major contributing partner and back out at the last second.

The trouble comes with predicting what will be needed in 25 years with technology in 25 years, and the massive cost for F35s current tech potentially becoming completely obsolete in a future of unmanned BVR laser beam shooters.

Regardless, we need something sooner than later.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #1121
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts

And I thought the C130 was a big looking plane

Also posted by the Navy from RIMPAC

http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCE..._700x394_1.mp4

Pretty sweet video not gonna lie
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....

Last edited by kunoman1; 09-22-2014 at 08:10 PM.
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #1122

Wow, the C5 makes the F15s look like toys. What's the plane on the right side of the picture (tail only)?
Old 09-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #1123
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Wow, the C5 makes the F15s look like toys. What's the plane on the right side of the picture (tail only)?
KC-135 belonging to 100th Air Refueling Wing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #1124
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
For a fraction of the costs,
Tell me, what such combat aircraft could we procure for a fraction of the cost?
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #1125
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Tell me, what such combat aircraft could we procure for a fraction of the cost?
Lets just get 10000 A-4 Skyhawk's, its got 1000 more km in range than the F35. Then I might actually get to fly a plane!

10000 > 65
1989 Yamaha Virago XV535 (sold)
1994 Ford Ranger (sold)
1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon (sold)
2014 Toyota Corolla (loaner)
1996 Isuzu Trooper (RIP🔥)
2003 Jetta Wolfie (sold)
1963 (T)rusty Stude Lark (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
kunoman is still alive! not raped by oil riggers yet....
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote