REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Boxing Day Sale Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/632957-boxing-day-sale-thread.html)

MG1 12-16-2010 02:46 PM

Boxing Day Sale Thread

Please list places that'll have good Boxing Day deals.Boxing Day is just over a week away!

I can't wait. I am probably going to the hobby stores, LOL. 20% to 25% off is good.

I was so pumped up about the last sale Imperial Hobbies had, but in the three months I've been shopping around, I have come to realize that the mark up at Imperial Hobbies is so high that 30% off would still make their stuff more expensive than at other shops. Example: a Tamiya 1/350 IJN Mogami is selling for $250.00 at Imperial Hobbies. The same model sells for $150.00 at two other hobby shops. WTH? One of the other shops is having a 20% off Boxing Day sale. Guess where I'm going? Not going to Imperial, unless they have like a 50% off sale. Sheesh.

Last Year's NCIX boxing day sale was pretty lame, IIRC. Hopefully this year will be better.

Tapioca 12-16-2010 03:26 PM

Boxing Day is pretty much a marketing ploy. Historically, Boxing Day was a way to clear out inventory, but because stores are now pretty good at maintaining inventory throughout the year, there's no need to liquidate old stock at fire sale prices. Stores still put out a few loss leaders here and there to draw people in, but you can find better deals on stuff throughout the year.

20 years ago, it was worth waiting in the cold at A&B on Seymour for a few hours to save a few hundred bucks. Now, we're stuck with hitting F5 a hundred times per minute trying to save 20 bucks on December 24. How times have changed. :(

Presto 12-16-2010 03:33 PM

Also, easy accessibility to Black Friday deals have made Boxing Day even more meaningless.

alex.w *// 12-16-2010 03:36 PM

nothing yet..maybe next week

MG1 12-16-2010 03:40 PM

Even better. Then there's no doubt where I'll be on Boxing Day. Getting stuff that never, ever goes on sale except for that one day of the year.

TOPEC 12-16-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89blkcivic (Post 7230646)
Even better. Then there's no doubt where I'll be on Boxing Day. Getting stuff that never, ever goes on sale except for that one day of the year.

such as......?

InvisibleSoul 12-16-2010 04:51 PM

Too soon, senior!

But really, somewhere like RFD is where to go to get the real lowdown on the deals...

MG1 12-16-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPEC (Post 7230726)
such as......?

The two hobby stores. One of them just got in a new shipment of models. I've got my eye on more than just a few. Unlike Imperial Hobbies, their everyday prices are where they should be. So, at 20% off, it's pretty much a good deal. Cheaper than eBay.

MG1 12-16-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7230735)
Too soon, senior!

But really, somewhere like RFD is where to go to get the real lowdown on the deals...

RS > RFD :thumbsup:

skiiipi 12-16-2010 08:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
well you guys get to see this of RS first

twitchyzero 12-16-2010 09:13 PM

How's everyone's experience with Boxing Day at computer retails like NCIX/ME?

Do I actually have to line up to get killer deals..or is sitting in front of the comp hitting F5 going to yield the same results? Do their servers crash easily? haha

oh and can i still choose pick-up for those "doorcrashers" online as long as i get the transaction thru?

bartone 12-16-2010 10:49 PM

I remember a couple years back at ncix there was always a lineup on boxing day morning for the door crashers. Just have a list of everything u want so they can put your order through. As for online I'm not too sure what the process is
Posted via RS Mobile

Gt-R R34 12-16-2010 11:01 PM

I"m hoping for a good discount on a home theatre system. That's the my 1 want this year

donjalapeno 12-16-2010 11:09 PM

I asked my supervisor and supposably at best buy were going to have a shit load of deals for ps3/xbox accesories and sony is going to have a DSLR camera package bundle for dirt cheap, however we dont know the price or the model yet. Once i find out ill post.

RevRav 12-16-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soltaaa77 (Post 7231187)
I asked my supervisor and supposably at best buy were going to have a shit load of deals for ps3/xbox accesories and sony is going to have a DSLR camera package bundle for dirt cheap, however we dont know the price or the model yet. Once i find out ill post.

Too bad that's only on ps3/xbox accessories... and not the console itself :(

donjalapeno 12-16-2010 11:39 PM

consoles sell like hotcakes no matter what season, so theyre really never on sale or anything.......they dont even give me discount on consoles :(

StealthFighter 12-17-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soltaaa77 (Post 7231187)

sweet, does the Move count?

Tapioca 12-17-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7231029)
How's everyone's experience with Boxing Day at computer retails like NCIX/ME?

Do I actually have to line up to get killer deals..or is sitting in front of the comp hitting F5 going to yield the same results? Do their servers crash easily? haha

Their servers will crash when the sale starts - it's guaranteed. There will be probably several thousand people trying to get onto the server at 5 PM - it's that crazy. If you really want to know what's on sale, someone on RFD is usually nice enough to post a screen cap shortly after the sale starts.

goo3 12-17-2010 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 7230617)
Boxing Day is pretty much a marketing ploy. Historically, Boxing Day was a way to clear out inventory, but because stores are now pretty good at maintaining inventory throughout the year, there's no need to liquidate old stock at fire sale prices. Stores still put out a few loss leaders here and there to draw people in, but you can find better deals on stuff throughout the year.

20 years ago, it was worth waiting in the cold at A&B on Seymour for a few hours to save a few hundred bucks. Now, we're stuck with hitting F5 a hundred times per minute trying to save 20 bucks on December 24. How times have changed. :(

I disagree. I do most of my disposable income shopping around that time.

It's the one time of the year where competition is high between retailers and manufacturers because of the volume of interest from buyers. There's still many items with high margins that come under pressure. The retailer doesn't always have to take a loss for you to get a good deal. Maybe you don't get inventory clearouts, but you now have online comparison shopping (across the US) instead.

GDChoi 12-17-2010 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 7230617)

Very true, just did marketing final on all of this.

Btw does anyone know whether it be better to get a laptop(all around use, game/school/etc.) thru future shop /bestb, ncix (even tho sale will be crap), or any other places that will have good deals?TIA

Greenstoner 12-17-2010 05:04 AM

i havent go on a boxing day sale in 8 yrs, its waste of time

some stores mark up their items higher so after the discount is still more expensive than the regular price.

i was going to buy a bag say $70 bucks before boxing day, i decided not to buy it coz boxing day is coming.. then they mark that bag higher and after the 40 or 50% is still like $80 bucks or so...

since then, i never step into the mall during boxing day

hotjoint 12-17-2010 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenstoner (Post 7231357)
i havent go on a boxing day sale in 8 yrs, its waste of time

some stores mark up their items higher so after the discount is still more expensive than the regular price.

i was going to buy a bag say $70 bucks before boxing day, i decided not to buy it coz boxing day is coming.. then they mark that bag higher and after the 40 or 50% is still like $80 bucks or so...

since then, i never step into the mall during boxing day

yup boxing day is weak

On another note, it's a good time to buy a ps3 though. You can get a ps3 with NHL 11 and infamous or uncharted 2 and a dual shock bundle of your choice. I would grab the god of war dualshock bundle. So you're basically getting free games and an extra controller :thumbsup:

If you're really cheap then you can try to pricematch EB's $50 off ps3 promotion as well :lol

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...tion3160gbh-en - NHL 11 & Infamous & Dualshock bundle

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...4d56bd86d9en02 - Uncharted 2 & Dualshock bundle

MG1 12-17-2010 07:39 AM

Hopefully this thread will answer the questions on how good or how lousy Boxing Day Sales are these days by the time the 27th rolls around.

skiiipi 12-17-2010 10:53 AM

Waiting on someone to post up a BB or FS flyer.

Boxing day is only good if you know what to look for. Buy the brands or items that traditionally don't go on sale. Especially when stores have blanket statements such as "entire store on sale".
Posted via RS Mobile

Liquid_o2 12-17-2010 12:31 PM

Only thing I need is a new driver... but I think I'll wait till January/February for that, Golf Town and Nevada Bob's etc. are always running sales throughout the winter.

I'll be chillin at home on Boxing Day with a bottle of wine.